• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Texan carbine/horrible accuracy

Cleaning an Airforce barrel voids a return? I’m not aware of that policy. I own a .22/.25 Condor and the .457 Texan. (Never had an issue from them.) My brother is also an Airforce owner and he has used Airforce’s warranty with no issues whatsoever when he had a leaking valve and guage on his Condor SS. Both issues he had were resolved quickly and no questions asked.
It seems the actual solution you are looking for is to send it in for a return. And if you originally bought the .50 Texan primarily for coyotes then you definitely didn’t pick the best choice for economical use anyway.
As others have suggested already, a .30 is the ticket for coyotes. I like to use a .30 Evol for everything smaller than a deer actually. Much cheaper using .30 ammo than trying to feed a .510 Texan a steady diet.
Cleaning the barrel with a brass brush will void the warrenty according to an airforce tips and tricks youtube vid

I shoot 95% time at my home range of 125 yards. usually get pretty average groups of 1-3 moa at 125 yards. I have shot out to 300 with decent results. My Texan just really came together..I made a custom stock, full.1inch carbon sleeve on barrel running to the brushings and finally got the balls to fix my barrel....3 hrs of hand lapping with a lead lap. I have the cold shot Moab mil adjustable base so i.can shoot some lead.to the moon😀. Last year on crutches from surgery. Cut in long range target shooting. This year should be much better... Barrel actually kinda consistent now. Ill.post some videos soon of Possum at 100 and skunk at 160... Its hard to hit little critters past 150😁

I shoot 95% time at my home range of 125 yards. usually get pretty average groups of 1-3 moa at 125 yards. I have shot out to 300 with decent results. My Texan just really came together..I made a custom stock, full.1inch carbon sleeve on barrel running to the brushings and finally got the balls to fix my barrel....3 hrs of hand lapping with a lead lap. I have the cold shot Moab mil adjustable base so i.can shoot some lead.to the moon😀. Last year on crutches from surgery. Cut in long range target shooting. This year should be much better... Barrel actually kinda consistent now. Ill.post some videos soon of Possum at 100 and skunk at 160... Its hard to hit little critters past 150😁
I’m glad ya got it squared away. Maybe there is some hope for mine.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Airforce needs to make a barrel that doesn't lead horribly then...Not using a brass brush is crazy..Its the exact same barrel used for muzzleloader s. Soft brass can't hurt hard 4140 chrome only steel. Without removing lead there is not any accuracy. Most of the Airforce sent to content providers for hunting and long range shooting definitely are not the same barrels as many of us are receiving... I understand not being able to use brush in normal pcp because of o-rings but with Texan you remove the bottle and valve to clean ....no o rings... This makes no sense to me. I guarantee you all bench rest shooters using powder burners with custom hand lapped barrels use brushes. Airforce just can't wait for any excuse to void warranty.. Those little chunks of lead will go in your action and break and bind stuff up. Then you Texan breaks....

Airforce needs to make a barrel that doesn't lead horribly then...Not using a brass brush is crazy..Its the exact same barrel used for muzzleloader s. Soft brass can't hurt hard 4140 chrome only steel. Without removing lead there is not any accuracy. Most of the Airforce sent to content providers for hunting and long range shooting definitely are not the same barrels as many of us are receiving... I understand not being able to use brush in normal pcp because of o-rings but with Texan you remove the bottle and valve to clean ....no o rings... This makes no sense to me. I guarantee you all bench rest shooters using powder burners with custom hand lapped barrels use brushes. Airforce just can't wait for any excuse to void warranty.. Those little chunks of lead will go in your action and break and bind stuff up. Then you Texan breaks....
It’s really to bad I like the carbine, but a gun that won’t group is useless.

How could you warrant a rifle by cleaning it with a brass/bronze brush???
It has been done this way for the past 150+ years!
Lawyer speek and totally BS!

And if a brass projectile wont harn your bore then why should a brass brush do?
Totally lavyer BS to me.

You might want to look into Boresnake's!
They will drag any fouling/lead out the front, not to contamite your breech.

How could you warrant a rifle by cleaning it with a brass/bronze brush???
It has been done this way for the past 150+ years!
Lawyer speek and totally BS!

And if a brass projectile wont harn your bore then why should a brass brush do?
Totally lavyer BS to me.

You might want to look into Boresnake's!
They will drag any fouling/lead out the front, not to contamite your breech.
Wonder how pulling out the front with a bore snake would affect the crown?

Chickenthief is spot on. Why it took three pages to ask if you used lube or not is the first thing I thought of on page one (forgive me...been away for a while and just saw this thread) I can ramble on for days and days on my Texan experiences (I have the .308 and the .50) . Your experience is SO FAMILIAR because I went through similar with the .308. Through tons of experimenting and 1000's of shots on the range my gun became (in my opinion) one of the best performing Texan .308's in the country (based on what others have said about theirs) Some of this will undoubtably transfer over the .50. I will grant that I cannot offer a ton of advice directly related to the .50 as I have not put more than 40 shots through mine due to time, weather, and just using my other guns. Also, .50 ammo is super-expensive; I have a NOE mold but haven't started pouring/sizing bullets yet.

Here are a few bullet points that may help you understand what you're dealing with. Granted, these are only my opinions and no ONE of us knows more than ALL of us:

1) Texans shoot crappy out of the box.
2) Ammo choice/air pressure is a delicate balance that determines everything.
3) The slugs must be lubed. Period. If not, your barrel will be instantly fouled and all results after that useless.
4) An aftermarket stock like a Diamond will increase accuracy by stiffening the chassis.
5) I never slugged my barrel(s), but I should. My .308 is a happy camper with bullets sized to .309. I HAVE fire lapped my .50 but as I said above, I haven't begun the process of fine tuning yet.
6) I recommend tuning down you power...maybe a lot. Perhaps if you dropped 30-40 fps you might see those groups start to tighten up.
7) There are a bunch of factors that all have to align for topnotch accuracy. PSI/bullet shape/bullet weight/proper sizing just to name a few.
8) My .308's accuracy is greatly improved by using my old-school Hunter Supply suppressor with the split-collar clamped on the barrel. Must act as a harmonic dampener

These are just a couple off of the top of my head. My guess is that you thought what I thought when you bought it...couple of practice shots, maybe some adjustments on the air pressure and power setting, and groups will be stacking up hole in hole. Unfortunately, that didn't occur, and I was as frustrated or more so than you. But I persevered, pulled out of it, and proved the haters wrong. I also found out that what others said was the 'ticket', didn't always work for me. I spent an ass-load of money, time, and tears getting confident. Don't give up. Accept the challenge and solve the puzzle. It can be done.

I attached a picture that I have attached countless times to other posts about the woes of barrel fouling. This is what happens when you shoot a Texan out-of-the-box with no lube. I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice it sooner, but I was a newbie and just didn't know. If I can save others the agony by sharing this, great. Talk about accuracy issues? I couldn't hit a target at 25 yards. Needless to say, it was quite a project to restore my barrel and it's a miracle that it shoots as good as it does now after the cleaning it took to unclog it. And the results from all of that range time, casting, bullet sizing, etc. is on the target. the targets are 200 yards and 300 yards respectively. The turkey was at 215 yards.

leaded barrel.jpg

115Ars200yards.jpg

300 yards6918.jpg

2020Texan215yards.jpg

Reactions: Hoffman9517
I didn't mean to sound cocky about my .308 being the 'best in the country'. It's just that the .308 that I pre-ordered (before it's actual release years ago) had zero field reviews because, well, it hadn't been released. Also, the valve system is a tad underpowered and requires it to be basically on full power all of the time. The .257 uses the same valve and has much more flexibility for fine tuning, and in my opinion is a better choice for long range and varmints.

However, with the exception of the Mad Dog stock my gun is 100% factory stock and has never been 'gotten into'. My comment about the 'best' was mostly to offset what others say can't be done and also to note that the internals don't have to be tweaked to achieve results.

I only say this because I want to encourage you to not throw in the towel. Once you get to where you start to eliminate all of the variables you WILL start seeing better results.

Below is a pic after I camo'd my .308 and also the .50 with the Diamond Stock.

4921texan.jpg

50texan2.jpg

Tighten all screw up on that gun. Everything rattles loose. Especially, the set screw holding the bottle and the valve tight against the receiver. But, I've not heard anything good about the 50cal accuracy. Also, make sure this 50cal is not actually .510. If you are using .50cal slugs but have a .510 barrel, 6" at 50 will happen.
Went over everything and tightened. Using good .510 ammo.

Chickenthief is spot on. Why it took three pages to ask if you used lube or not is the first thing I thought of on page one (forgive me...been away for a while and just saw this thread) I can ramble on for days and days on my Texan experiences (I have the .308 and the .50) . Your experience is SO FAMILIAR because I went through similar with the .308. Through tons of experimenting and 1000's of shots on the range my gun became (in my opinion) one of the best performing Texan .308's in the country (based on what others have said about theirs) Some of this will undoubtably transfer over the .50. I will grant that I cannot offer a ton of advice directly related to the .50 as I have not put more than 40 shots through mine due to time, weather, and just using my other guns. Also, .50 ammo is super-expensive; I have a NOE mold but haven't started pouring/sizing bullets yet.

Here are a few bullet points that may help you understand what you're dealing with. Granted, these are only my opinions and no ONE of us knows more than ALL of us:

1) Texans shoot crappy out of the box.
2) Ammo choice/air pressure is a delicate balance that determines everything.
3) The slugs must be lubed. Period. If not, your barrel will be instantly fouled and all results after that useless.
4) An aftermarket stock like a Diamond will increase accuracy by stiffening the chassis.
5) I never slugged my barrel(s), but I should. My .308 is a happy camper with bullets sized to .309. I HAVE fire lapped my .50 but as I said above, I haven't begun the process of fine tuning yet.
6) I recommend tuning down you power...maybe a lot. Perhaps if you dropped 30-40 fps you might see those groups start to tighten up.
7) There are a bunch of factors that all have to align for topnotch accuracy. PSI/bullet shape/bullet weight/proper sizing just to name a few.
8) My .308's accuracy is greatly improved by using my old-school Hunter Supply suppressor with the split-collar clamped on the barrel. Must act as a harmonic dampener

These are just a couple off of the top of my head. My guess is that you thought what I thought when you bought it...couple of practice shots, maybe some adjustments on the air pressure and power setting, and groups will be stacking up hole in hole. Unfortunately, that didn't occur, and I was as frustrated or more so than you. But I persevered, pulled out of it, and proved the haters wrong. I also found out that what others said was the 'ticket', didn't always work for me. I spent an ass-load of money, time, and tears getting confident. Don't give up. Accept the challenge and solve the puzzle. It can be done.

I attached a picture that I have attached countless times to other posts about the woes of barrel fouling. This is what happens when you shoot a Texan out-of-the-box with no lube. I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice it sooner, but I was a newbie and just didn't know. If I can save others the agony by sharing this, great. Talk about accuracy issues? I couldn't hit a target at 25 yards. Needless to say, it was quite a project to restore my barrel and it's a miracle that it shoots as good as it does now after the cleaning it took to unclog it. And the results from all of that range time, casting, bullet sizing, etc. is on the target. the targets are 200 yards and 300 yards respectively. The turkey was at 215 yards.

View attachment 320319

View attachment 320322

View attachment 320323

View attachment 320324
I will need to try lubing my slugs. Is there a video I could reference? I’m also sure my barrel is full of lead I’m trying to locate a brush now.

I will need to try lubing my slugs. Is there a video I could reference? I’m also sure my barrel is full of lead I’m trying to locate a brush now.
Get a cleaning jag while you are at it. After you are positive your barrel is clean, a tight patch pushed through the bore from the breach can tell you a lot about your barrel. The barrel on mine had several very tight spots in it, felt like it was choked in several random spots. Aggressive fire lapping took care of that. I'm willing to bet my 357 has a groove at least a thousandth bigger than any other, and lands(bore) probable a couple thou less than anyone else. It took that much to end up with a smooth bore on mine and get rid of the tight spots. Any manufacturer should be ashamed to let a barrel out like the one I got.