Texan carbine/horrible accuracy

Check for a loose or junk scope by switching them around onto a different gun. Check that the barrel is properly seated, tight and torqued down. Check the muzzle crown for burrs. If you find that the crown is not right, there's several posts on how to correct it with special crown reamers or simply with lapping compound and a beveled brass screw or the like chucked in a drill. Also, at that range that's a huge group size indicative of a smaller slug than the bore. Check out posts "slugging" the barrel to see what size the bore actually is. Then you can size the ammo according to the bore size to get the best accuracy.

My .457 long cf was inaccurate when I first got it.
I figured out I was holding it to tight.It was very hold sensitive.
Snug against my shoulder and loose everywhere else.
On a bipod vs resting on something to shoot yielded diffrent results also

Resting and free standing point of impact is the same for me.On a bipod she prints tight groups with only certain ammo choices.

On 3600 psi at 100% hammer tension and 350 grain leads is what it likes
Without a hammer spring adjustment for 220-250 grain lead I need to drop my fill pressure to 3000 psi and my first 4 shots are a tight group.

If I stay at 3600 with 100% hammer and use 220 grain ammo the gun fires them with no issues but the first 3 shots are all over the target.
My point is it will take alot of experimenting with pressure,bullet weight and holds.
I got mine figured out at about 200 rounds.

One thing I did notice is that the barrel end cap has alot of play in it.
I carbon fiber sleeved mine and made a snug fitting end cap.
Improved my groups alot.

Reactions: PolarisRngr
Slug your barrel. Find out the bore size. My 50 likes all cast ammo a lil bigger and sized to 510. Check your barrel for leading!! Remove your bottle and look down the bore at a light or window during the day. I shoot tethered at 3625 psi with powder wheel maxed out. You need really good rings or base Adapter s or they will slide from recoil. My barrel was really rough and I had to clean every 4 shots for any kinda of accuracy. We are here to help. It took some work to get my 50 to shoot decent.

Reactions: PolarisRngr
I’d expect your choice of ammo is an issue, as well as flinching at your trigger pull in anticipation of the recoil.
I have the .457 Texan and the most common reason I’ve seen for inaccuracies when I let others try it out are the big flinch and jerking the trigger.
You can dial up your Airforce to launch big heavy lead, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to do so accurately. You have to buy several different weights to try and see what works best. Once you find a slug that shows great potential with nice groups, then you can play with the tuning wheel a bit and dial it in better.
I highly advise checking out Nielsen Specialty Ammunition and reading reviews of other people that are shooting the same caliber/gun and start with the highest rated choices there.

I’d expect your choice of ammo is an issue, as well as flinching at your trigger pull in anticipation of the recoil.
I have the .457 Texan and the most common reason I’ve seen for inaccuracies when I let others try it out are the big flinch and jerking the trigger.
You can dial up your Airforce to launch big heavy lead, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to do so accurately. You have to buy several different weights to try and see what works best. Once you find a slug that shows great potential with nice groups, then you can play with the tuning wheel a bit and dial it in better.
I highly advise checking out Nielsen Specialty Ammunition and reading reviews of other people that are shooting the same caliber/gun and start with the highest rated choices there.
I’m using Nielsen ammo so I believe slug consistency is very good.

F8FC03B1-5380-440A-8F06-C627D0DA6E06.jpeg
Found a lot of lead in the barrel.

Quite a few factory Texans have rough barrels...For the price point.....they could do a lot better... It took me 3 hours to hand lap my barrel. I started at 120 grit and poured about 6 lead laps. For $1160.00. You shouldn't have to work on your own barrel. Those little pieces of lead produced will also bind and break your action..

Reactions: 450BM
View attachment 319250Found a lot of lead in the barrel.
you will never get any where near all the lead out running patches in a slotted holder, you need mechanical cleaning with the solvent. @Reedmosser told you how bad his was, mine was much worse than his. It took me almost a week to clean my new Texan, shipped straight from airforce as a replacement for the first one I got that would not fire at all. I worked on mine a minimum of 3 times a day, first day I used an entire bag of 200 one inch square patches and the last one didn't really look any better than the first. I using very tight patches on a jag, a very stiff bore brush, and lead away cloth on a jag that was extremely tight pushing down bore.

I eventually got mine working right, but in the process you better believe I voided any/all warranty, but I already had some testy phone calls with airforce, both on the first one not working out of the box, and on the second one being a POS and just didn't want to deal with them any more. My advice would be to send it back and save yourself some grief.

I found in an old email I never sent to airforce a picture of the patches from the last cleaning on the third day of cleaning, and the first patch pushed through bore on the 4th day. The 4th day was the first sign of rust coming out. I really should have just demanded my money back and stuck my heals in the ground on it,, but I continued.

3rd to 4th day cleaning.jpg