Texan Carbine got to play again

Work and family has been keeping me busy and away from hunting like I normally do. Been having this guy on camera 5-6 night a week for usually 30 minutes or more at my feeder. Got to get out this past Saturday night to see if I could get this guy we had named “ Ewok “.

2092D06B-5025-4C33-B08B-3F99AE6EF261.1608213828.jpeg

My buddy put some extra corn between the feeder and where I sit in the woods to keep him on my side of the feeder. Got settled in right at dark. About 2 hours after getting there it started getting colder so I checked the area with my handheld thermal and didn’t see anything. Since it seemed the coast was clear I stood up and changed into my heavy hunting jacket. When I sat back down I noticed my phone had a alert from the camera. Looked at it and nothing in the pic. Pulled out my thermal and he was about 35 yards in front of me. He had walked in when I change jackets. Got the Texan up on the tripod quietly, the ir light on and the Wraith turned on. Kept checking with the thermal to may sure he didn’t run off. Finally got everything “on” and started getting him lined up for a good shot. He finally settled down with a mouth full of corn and I pulled the trigger. He went down and started squealing, I reloaded and put 2 more anchor shot in him. One shot right between his shoulder blades and the other right in the middle of his chest while he was flopping around. Texted my buddy and my wife to let them know he was down. Buddy texted back that he was on the way. Walked out to him thinking he had expired but to my surprise when I was about 3 ft from him he stood up like nothing was wrong. When he turned towards me I placed the final shot right at the base of his skull. He was down for the count then. I have shot probably 100 or more pigs in the last 2 yrs with a airgun. This was the first to ever get back up and turn to me. I will be a little more careful from now on. I worked hard to get this pig and with his thick coat and different look he is going on my wall.

Hopefully I will get the video edited this weekend and attached here.

AirForce Texan Carbine 

DonnyFl Roin 

Sightmark Wraith 

Coyote XXL Ir light 

V.I.P. slugs (290 grain ?)

45290FA6-AC32-4F75-B27E-92EEE52B6B17.1608215322.jpeg
25728158-1C23-47F0-B6E0-3D7397E786E4.1608215323.jpeg

How much meat will you get from a 184# pig? Is it good? Better then store bought pork? I'm jealous of your never ending supply of meat.

Usually I take back straps, hindquarters and shoulders. This guy stunk bad!!! He fed a pair of bald eagles and the coyotes.
A lot of the pigs I shoot I donate or trade with the guys I work with. Give them 75-125 # pig and get 10-12 dozen tamales from them. I keep my freezers full.

What DonnyFL adapter did you use for the moderator, also, can you take a close up pic of the barrel and moderator together as I'm thinking of getting the same set up you have !!

Thank you very, very much.

wll2506

In the above post he indicated he had a Ronin. https://donnyfl.com/collections/ldc/products/2-x-6-5-inch-ronin No better quality moderator is made.

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

What DonnyFL adapter did you use for the moderator, also, can you take a close up pic of the barrel and moderator together as I'm thinking of getting the same set up you have !!

wll2506

I used the adapter that he sells for the Texan. I only went with the Roin and not the extension. I wanted to keep my gun short since I use it in pop up blinds or thick woods.

wll2506

I used the adapter that he sells for the Texan. I only went with the Roin and not the extension. I wanted to keep my gun short since I use it in pop up blinds or thick woods.

Thank you, that is what I thought but was not sure, I'm looking for an adapter that butts right against the housing and doesn't look like an add on, if you know what I mien ;- )

wll2506

wll2506

Thank you, that is what I thought but was not sure, I'm looking for an adapter that butts right against the housing and doesn't look like an add on, if you know what I mien ;- )

wll2506

I know what you mean. It will actually look like you want. I will try to remember to get a close up of it tonight when I get home.

How much meat will you get from a 184# pig? Is it good? Better then store bought pork? I'm jealous of your never ending supply of meat.

30 percent of live weight if you cut it all off the bones. I like the small ones, they aren't gamey at all and are leaner than store bought pork. The big boars stink, and are a challenge to prepare, so I just shoot mid sized pigs. They are easier to drag out also.

wll2506

wll2506

I know what you mean. It will actually look like you want. I will try to remember to get a close up of it tonight when I get home.

Thank you very much, greatly appreciated.

wll2506

I just shoot mid sized pigs. They are easier to drag out also.

same here !! i like them 60-90lbs
1f44d.svg

I shoot all the bigger boars I can. They are usually running alone. If a group comes in, I pick out midsize pigs. Usually try and get two lined up just right to save ammo and air. Once my freezer get enough meat in it, I start donating/giving it away to guys I work with or people that need it.