• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Texan Aftermarket Stocks?

I have the Texan in a .457 Carbine CF. The gun is an awesome performer for what I use it for most - stalking hogs in the heavy cover of south GA swamps and river bottoms. I shoot a 300 grain Mr. Hollowpoint round and have (so far) never failed to recover a hog. But while it is light and maneuverable in the thick stuff, the ergonomics are horrible. It never fails to feel awkward when shouldering for a shot. I had to get a set of extra high rings just to get the scope up where I could look through it without tilting my head to lay on top of the can while still having the little steel slab that serves as a butt plate have some small contact with my shoulder. Further, the grip and trigger are just too far back, putting the arm in an awkward position for shooting.

What this thing needs is a decent after-market stock that will lengthen the trigger to but plate distance by at least 2-3 inches and raise the tank from the shoulder in order to lower the natural sight line through the scope. I have seen several custom made out of wood, but it would be nice to keep it as light as possible, so composite would be great.

I saw the "Air Venturi Thumbhole Stock" for Texans, and that is the silliest thing I ever looked at - doing absolutely nothing but adding a little weight. I also found Mad Dog Custom Stocks. A few look nice, but none are listed as being for the Carbine, only the Recon seems to lengthen it any, and the shipping time of up to five weeks means I couldn't use it this year.

Has anyone seen or have any other composite stocks made for a Texan Carbine?

The basic design of the Airforce platform does present some ergonomic challenges. The sight line to the scope requires this taller rings. Talon Tunes makes a tank drop adapter that could help you In the short term. It will add some LOP. An AR-15 slip on butt pad and get you another 3/4-1” on LOP and gives a larger butt surface. The 480cc CF tank is also kind of short. A 580cc tank will get you another couple of inches of LOP.

The Talon Tunes drop down adapter will hurt performance a little....just an FYI

Maddog is the only Commercial stock option that I know about . I made my own for that reason.

20201213_223727.1607913214.jpg
this is what I do with mine..the wocguard n the ergo grip make a difference from night n day..from a toy to a gun .. but you know that if Loren finds a way to mas produced his gorgeous laminated stock. Away my money goes.I need 4...😁

I just bought the TalonTunes guard so I can change the grip to a more comfortable AR grip. I went with this for 1. Cost 2. Keep the weight down on my hunting .357 Carbine and hope to get one for my .457 CF. 

I own the Maddog for my .257 since that is more of a bench gun and the stock really does help with ergonomics and shooting accuracy. Doug has great customer service and he can customize the stock even for a Texan Carbine. The only negative is cost, but it is handmade in the USA with amazing customer service. So that is what I'm paying for. I'd buy from Doug again.

Texan .257 with recon in olive green.

IMG-0693.1609939933.jpg