• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Texan 50 issues again Problem found!!!!

Well about 200 rounds through my Texan 50 and wouldn't cock work ect. Always for hunting season!!! Lol I didn't wanna send it back to Airforce and miss hunting season. I getting pretty familiar with the platform now. With help from my internet friends helpful YouTube videos. I found the problem. The main carrier aluminum tube is cracked. I run 3625 psi on a regulator. I didn't do anything excessive. This will be my second faliure. I wonder if this isn't a common problem will the more powerful platform. African Air Ordinance makes the tube out of stainless steel. My thinking is this is going to happen with the aluminum tube from Airforce. Maybe the 50 with heavy lead and Tx2 valve with aluminum tube don't work out.

16631545755491808360661610716787.jpg

1663154614275602867903646415909.jpg

16631546866536622852723067179327.jpg

Reactions: Chickenthief
I do think i see an ugly problem here :-(
Just looked over mine and found this deep scratch in the exact spot as yours.
Some months ago it was a bit hard to load but it went away and i thunk nothing of it.
DSCN0075.jpg
DSCN0075 2.jpg

You have torn yours apart a couple of times. Is this where something to the auto safe thing-a-ma-jig go?
Maybe recoil is so severe that something gets knocked out of alignment and will scratch the tube during cocking.
If you take this to Airforce at some point then let me know and i'll write a statement you can include with the pics.

I think I finally found the issue. And I'm sure the original problem was the same thing. It is the roll pin that goes through the sear . It is actually wearing . It causes the binding issues. So this roll pin wearing out is the only issue. That makes it not work. I'm hope Airforce will sell me the roll pin. Lol I'm going to buy extras. For sure. It hard to see in the picture put the silver is worn deeply.

16632134885286908297223256461746.jpg

16632135401824578989031747027433.jpg

Yes is the answer.. The sear metal is hard that the pin goes through doesn't wear. Pin does wear. Soft metal. I think this is common problem. Once it wears you lose function of everything. Inconsistent safety cocking force and binding. I have actually shot 300 lbs of lead through mine... Rebuilt my yong bent compressor 3 times. Most people buying a new 45 or 50 Texan aren't shooting it 50 or 100 rounds to have the problem. I think it needs a harder pin or better bigger pin all together. These are the most power every put to the platform. These pins are the super weak link to make you Texan inoperable.. 20 cent pin almost cost me $400 lol.

I will omit the safety completly. Or at least omit the auto reset, that lawyer poop aggraveates me to no end.
Have used firearms for the past 50+ years and was always told to treat any firearm as loaded at all times. The first times i had an ADHD moment and forgot basic training, a swift hand to the chin remedied the lapse of forthought.
So absolutly no finger on the trigger unless you can clearly see what you point/shoot at and intend to eat.

Now i need some youtube vids on how to tear into the beast.
I was educated in electronics more than 35 years ago so i'm used to remove a little at a time, lay it up with the screws and take a photo.
That makes up for CRS!

As i get older i only suffer two ilnesses:
CRS ans CSS

Cant Remember S**t
Cant See S**t
And my memory aint to good either ;-)

All righty then.
I tore the trousers of my Texan with little more than a vague assembly vid as help.

I sought help from my two trusty friends: Port wine and fine rock music, here it was unvaluable help from Mr. Ted Nugent. That steadied my rattling mind pretty good and i dug right into the beast.

No worries as the bits are layed out, then there is no room for error, and that is an understatement! The sear need spring and "aiding piece" in place before the safety pin is put in!!!
Apart from that it's lefty loosey and righty tighty.

Our problem is the small auto safety reset thingy thats the culprit.
Most often it will reset just fine and once in a blue moon the long bendy safety bar will bend out ever so slightly and flex over the safety reset flat.
That's when it binds and grind the main trigger tube.

It's hard to see but this is where wear/erosion is present on the barrel tube.
DSCN0078 s.jpg

DSCN0079 s.jpg

DSCN0081 s.jpg

DSCN0082 s.jpg

And while it had it to pieces i threaded the muzzle M18x1 from .735"-18.75mm
DSCN0083 s.jpg

Now that's a lot of crud and pocket lint ;-)

Last edited:
I just reassembled my texan with the new sear pin!!!!! It functions just fine!!! My Big Texan eats parts lol. I reconfigured my stock to attach to the 11mm rail rather than strip out threads in the thin aluminum frame.... To deal with the recoil... I completely bedded inside the stock almost full length. Just cut a new bolt for the pistol grip thread... Airforce adapters to pictany rail so nothing moves. Hand lapped the barrel unil I was blue😂 Started at 120 and worked up to 420 grit poured about ten pure lead laps.... I think it finally shoots.. Picture of wore sear pin......and Texan in current working order again just couple hours aggravation..

16637006640514228958481269265863.jpg

16637007254006050939648072494407.jpg

My stock isn't pretty!!!! Yet... but boy she functions well... Shoots of BOG tripod well now as well as rest and rear sandbag. Almost done with my 3 inch bench rest stock ... Chicken thief thank you for your pictures of tear down and explanations of terminology... I can figure it out but I'm not real good with teaching.... Thanks again

Last edited:
Airgun man you are right...And that's a good idea!!!!! If it wears out again. That is definitely a good option to try. I'm sure it will in due time. Eanze4e. I altered that stock from my old Barnett crossbow.. It was a way to reuse instead of throwing in the garbage. It is plastic stock which is light and pretty tough. I used aluminum plate to stiffen the stock where I removed material. To attach the front to the rail $8.00 EBay 11mm to 20mm adapter.. Stock had aluminum rail in the center. I bolted.and glued the 11mm adapter to the stock. I used automotive body filler and plastic wrap around the frame the fully bed it. The stock is stiff and not threaded into the aluminium frame to stip out!!!!!!!! Big deal!! Factory front grip stripped bolt out of frame shooting off of BOG tripod, Texan falls all dramatic lol Don't wanna repeat

Reactions: Ezana4CE