Airforce Texan .457 ss valve question

@RM.510bigbore -

Thank you for the information and it is much appreciated.

I talked with the owner of Nielsen Specialty Ammo and asked him what ammo he recommended for the LSS CF in .457. I told him it was for hunting feral pigs and armadillos and he recommended the 298 grain. I ended up ordering a few hundred 298 gr HP-BT Knurl Slugs and they are dead accurate and hit with authority. One shot to the neck and they are down. I also ordered a hundred 240 gr hollow points, but have yet to test them.

Here is a link to the 298 gr slugs I am using.

298 gr HP-BT-Knurl, 45 Cal​

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@RM.510bigbore -

I saw that as well, but Nielsen seemed to think the 298 gr would suit my purposes with the LSS CF. So far the 298's (with a rather massive hollow point) seem to knock them down immediately which is what I want. I am used to hunting dangerous game with centerfires, but with the limited shots available in a PCP, I want the first shot to eliminate or reduce having to deal with a wounded and potentially dangerous animal, especially in the dark. I do carry a 1911 in .45 as backup, but would rather do a clean kill with the PCP.

I will have to try the 240's as you suggested and see if they hit the same spot as the 298's. If not, the Thermal Scope allows you to program several different loads as well as moving it to different rifles without re-zeroing.

I posted a short review of my new extended buttstock from Concealment Solutions.

He has the lss not the SS. The lss I believe is the standard length barrel just with a moderator.
In the description it says Texan SS . The SS has 24inch barrel. The LSS has the 34 inch barrel. Either way NSA slugs are some of the best...I hope you have a shooter friend...

@RM.510bigbore -

It may be hard to see in the picture, but there is a very stout BKL dovetail to picatinny adapter.

The thermal will only mount to a picatinny rail, not to the AF dovetail.

The rifle should have been manufactured with a picatinny rail from the beginning. This is just another example of AirForce cutting corners and a common complaint from buyers.

IMG_20231006_093556.jpg

One more thing..I wouldn't recommend shooting stock Texan forend in a Tripod like the BOG Deathgrip .....Been there done that...forend screw ripped out of aluminum frame.....thus the reason I made a stock... You did all your research... you should make less mistakes than me with my Texan friend.. good day

@RM.510bigbore -

When I am out on the trails on my property, I carry my tripod in my left hand by one of the legs and have the rifle over my right shoulder. When I stop to scan an area, I just place the tripod down and a quick flip and the rifle is gently cradled in the tripod V. I then do a 360 scan like a submarine periscope.

Thank you for all of your much valued assistance! Best..................Rob

PS: Looks like you could hunt aliens with your amazing rig!

Last edited: