• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Texan 457 arrow bolts

No, but I wonder about this as well. The question is, how many uses will you get from shooting bolts from such a powerful platform? I’ve read about people shooting air bolts from a .357 Benjamin Bulldog and destroying them shooting archery targets by either shooting air bolts through the targets or hitting the wooden target frame. Looks like the shafts were bending and cracking from what I recall. Others got stuck in the wood and damaged being pulled or pried out. 

These things go for around $15-$20 each (Air Venturi brand) and that’s not considering any sort of specialized arrowheads. I’m curious about the length of bolts used hunt with and target shoot these from a standard Texan. The speed of the bolt is also something I’m curious about being shot from a Texan off the stock reservoir. Here’s a link with more details on air bolts for those who are unfamiliar. https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-air-bolt-6-pack-45-caliber?p=1485

This YouTuber shoots air bolts from a tethered .357 Airforce Texan 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1DwtJsZlA 

To begin listening to him discuss shooting air bolts start at 15:57. He also talks about them a little around the 2:00 mark. Big gap I know. He got caught up having fun shooting cast slugs.

To see him actually shooting air bolts start watching around the 17:00 mark.

I think that the process would be similar in a .457 Texan but I cannot say for sure. One could always contact Airforce Airguns with questions about this. They have been pretty responsive when I contacted them in the past.

I like this article on arrow shooting airguns https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predator-hunting/arrow-launching-airguns-in-2020

It's all about making the right target/backstop, I used to shoot 100+ pound bows with 1000gr arrows and the first time I shot an Airbolt out of the Claw .50 I was shocked !!!!

Airguns will sling those bolts so fast you really need to make the right backstop and also use other methods I can explain if someone is interested.

The only time I broke something is when I blew trough a Wild boar and the snuffer broadhead shattered on a rock, I try find that thread and link it here

Here is a link to a thread of my hunt with Claw .50 and bolts.

in that thread there is also a link to a thread where I go trough the steps of learning how to eventually make an effective target/backstop, ....unfortunately most pictures are gone but the explanations are still there

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=119373.0

Great read. I’ve read about the Seneca rifles using airbolts. Nice sized hog. The photos were there. Are there some that are missing? Was that in Hawaii?

Just watched the video, no broken shaft shooting straight into wood ...Impressive

Also impressive was penetration if yon consider field points and the collar are a definite speed breaker once getting on target.

Broadheads do damage by cutting huge holes, those arrows would blow through any animal on the planet.

Here’s one of the threads I was referring to in reference to air bolts being damaged after shooting them at targets. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/air-bolts-2/

These guys weren’t shooting them out of .357 Bulldogs. I was inquiring about it with using my Bulldog in mind. I’ve read a number of threads and posts on this. My apologies about the mixing up some of the details. I don’t know a whole lot about archery, but I understand the difference between a broadhead and a target tip. The penetration he achieved was nice! I was surprised that there was very little noticeable difference in penetration between shooting at 50 and 100 yards in his video. I’d like to see this done with a .457 Texan. 

Just watched the video, no broken shaft shooting straight into wood ...Impressive

Also impressive was penetration if yon consider field points and the collar are a definite speed breaker once getting on target.

Broadheads do damage by cutting huge holes, those arrows would blow through any animal on the planet.

Here’s one of the threads I was referring to in reference to air bolts being damaged after shooting them at targets. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/air-bolts-2/

These guys weren’t shooting them out of .357 Bulldogs. I was inquiring about it with using my Bulldog in mind. I’ve read a number of threads and posts on this. My apologies about the mixing up some of the details. I don’t know a whole lot about archery, but I understand the difference between a broadhead and a target tip. The penetration he achieved was nice! I was surprised that there was very little noticeable difference in penetration between shooting at 50 and 100 yards in his video. I’d like to see this done with a .457 Texan.

Well yeah, clearly those guys did not know what they where doing and more so where not able to adapt, learn and improve things,......blaming the tool is always the easier cop out when the handyman is lacking skill and knowledge.

Do it the right way and your 100 bucks spent on a 6 pack of Airbolts will go a long way, give you a top of repeatable shots and enjoyment as well as awe.

Buldog has a 28" barrel right ? that in my opinion is a bit long to harness full potential ( on GTA a guy is making .357 nocks and cones that you can use by buying 6.5mm carbon shafts and cut them to the perfect length for your barrel )

Also you will want to remove the cap on the shroud, the cone needs to sit on the crown.

@6600 I actually had to look that up. Yes it appears to have a 28” barrel. I’ve seen some modified Bulldog carbines that seem to be more accommodating. Even with the .357 Texan in the video he said he used a different barrel. I also recall an Airforce Texan Iraqi Veteran combo for sale a while back (not sure if they still sell them). I don’t know if an air bolt barrel was a part of that package. I’ve also read of people complaining thinking that their stock barrels were too long to try to shoot air bolts. I’m here because of the things I’m uncertain about. I’m curious about them, but not bent on using them. So thanks for sharing your real world experience with the Seneca/Sam Yang. 

Can you elaborate on the type of backstop needed to shoot air bolts? You said pics of constructing a backstop were missing in your other thread. What have you found that you’d say is needed? I was thinking of buying a couple of rolls of some cheap crappy hay. They’re around 500-1000lb rolls. Would that not be sufficient? I just don’t know how I’d go about retrieving the bolts considering I don’t know what to expect as far as penetration.