Airforce Texan .357 vs .457

Neither, in a texan that is. The texan is way to flexible for the power level they have, buy something else. Yes, I own one in 357, wish I never bought it. Have a problem, air force warranty service sucks from personal experience of having a non functioning brand new rifle replaced by them with a pure piece of trash rifle I'm mostly sure but can't prove was someone else's problem child before they sent it to me to replace the new one I bought that was non-functioning straight out of the box. If you get lucky on the barrel lottery, it may be accurate enough for you, don't get lucky and you will have lots of work making the barrel acceptable. Seriously, buy something else if you want a big bore air rifle.

Probably time for a 40 caliber factory pcp.

I have friends with black powder Silhouette rifles.

38-55, 40-65, and 45-70.

Unlike the 38 the 40 cal knocks the rams down every time with the 420 grain bullet but has the BC of the 535 grain 45 cal bullet and the recoil is much less than the 535's. I'm pretty sure this would translate the same way in a pcp but with shorter bullets more appropriate to pcp power levels.

Reactions: MAUMAU and mercado
Neither, in a texan that is. The texan is way to flexible for the power level they have, buy something else. Yes, I own one in 357, wish I never bought it. Have a problem, air force warranty service sucks from personal experience of having a non functioning brand new rifle replaced by them with a pure piece of trash rifle I'm mostly sure but can't prove was someone else's problem child before they sent it to me to replace the new one I bought that was non-functioning straight out of the box. If you get lucky on the barrel lottery, it may be accurate enough for you, don't get lucky and you will have lots of work making the barrel acceptable. Seriously, buy something else if you want a big bore air rifle.
I'm a airforce guns fan boy -- and honestly I would never buy a texan again at this point I don't think that a 55" long is a fun gun to go hunting.. in 257 for plinking long range is a great option only because nobody has come up with a 257 bullpub.. but even with some reliability issues..AEA last line of HP big bores is a awesome option for the hunter.. if they improve in their stock design and come up with a 257 and 308 I'm buying one to try .... as for the AF guns as long is not a trigger problem...there is nothing easier in the pcp market to fix .. I have 4 ... 2 of them for more than 10 years not a single issue a can't fix with one call to Rachel she is a awesome costumer service person at AF..

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I'm a airforce guns fan boy -- and honestly I would never buy a texan again at this point I don't think that a 55" long is a fun gun to go hunting.. in 257 for plinking long range is a great option only because nobody has come up with a 257 bullpub.. but even with some reliability issues..AEA last line of HP big bores is a awesome option for the hunter.. if they improve in their stock design and come up with a 257 and 308 I'm buying one to try .... as for the AF guns as long is not a trigger problem...there is nothing easier in the pcp market to fix .. I have 4 ... 2 of them for more than 10 years not a single issue a can't fix with one call to Rachel she is a awesome costumer service person at AF..
I have both an AEA challenger 50 and an airforce texan ss 457. The texan way outdoes the aea. Much better accuracy and workmanship. Even if it looks ugly. 😋

I have both an AEA challenger 50 and an airforce texan ss 457. The texan way outdoes the aea. Much better accuracy and workmanship. Even if it looks ugly. 😋
It’s definitely a long gun but the power and accuracy is great plus it’s a simple gun I’d like to shoot a western bush buck or if American air arms build another big bore give it a try also that swa .20 I have you put rifle choke in it power full with slugs out to about 70 yards

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
It’s definitely a long gun but the power and accuracy is great plus it’s a simple gun I’d like to shoot a western bush buck or if American air arms build another big bore give it a try also that swa .20 I have you put rifle choke in it power full with slugs out to about 70 yards
Any of you guys or gals ever hunt with a bush buck carbine .45

I have the Bushbuck carbine. You lose some fpe going with the carbine but you also shed about 2 pounds of weight In the gun. Accuracy with my carbine is very good once I found the correct fill pressure For the slugs I am shooting.
If you hunt from a stand the 2# may not mean much but if you are still hunting or spot and stalk that 2# is a lot.