• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Texan .257 vs FX / Daystate Slugs , Texan Still Viable ?

So question with the fx and daystate slugs guns pushing near 100 fpe with slugs accurately out to 150 and 200 yards where does this leave the .257 or .308 Texan slug guns ?

I have seen on youtube guys only getting say 5 to 10 max shots out of these Texans. I own one the .257 and struggling to get it to perform. Being only about 8 shots per a fill as well kind makes tuning it more tedious. 

Anybody seeing any advantages in going to a smaller bore texan over the newer slug rifles ? The way I see it here is the break down.

Texan Advantages.... over FX - Daystate

1. Power..... Gun has more power in .357 about 135 to 190 FPE VS 70 to 100 FPE

2. Cheaper

3. More Rugged 

4. BC but of course this also is kind of negated by not being regulated / accuracy 

FX-Daystate Advantages.........................................

1. Way more shots per fill, more air efficient. 

2. Consistently more accurate 

I kind of feel at 100 to 250 yards the FX/DS guns are more accurate than the .308 or .257 ???

Anybody chime in on your thoughts or experience ?

Well that why my 2 Texans are gone - .257 -308 .. in my case I have uragans that ones tuned to HP..they could touch 200y all day consistently..even more If i take the time to sort n weight the slugs..so for 10 to 200y the texan could stay in the closet.. but is not that I'm done with my airforce guns i will always keep my .224 n .257 buids...in fact i just paid tooling to try a 1-8.5 twist for 100g 257.. n 1-9 .224 for heavy 22 caliber bullets up to 62g...it will take a bit I think for a regulated guns to push such heavy lead..so if the space is aviable Texans will continue to battle from 300y to 1000y .. but if the space is not available .. the texan will only make sense only for hunting ..for the average shooter that doesn't compete right now for 200y + shots a Texan is not needed..

I like to shoot in competition. So I tend to choose my guns based on what categories they are most suited for. For instance, if you wanted to shoot the Standard Slug Challenge at RMAC, the FX and Daystates would be the better choice. But if you want to shoot in the RMAC Magnum Slug Challenge, then you would want the Texan. And at the EBR Big Bore match, Texan as well. The Texan is about the minimum needed for those magnum and big bore matches.