"" tethering" regulator

View attachment 306004

This is how much sticking out from the tank when it is mounted, me removing when not in use.
The new Huma external Reg look awesome, not sure why the price. But once you start shooting it will be out of your eyesight anyway.
Back in time the Ninja blue table top Reg was maybe the best looking unit, but haven't seen those for two years.
@bigHUN I was thinking of it being bumped or accidentally turned while sitting on a table and connected inline mid-micro bore hose like Tom has his in the video using a DIN-to-male-foster-fitting on both ends. I’d probably set mine up like yours with the reg directly connected to the DIN threads. Thanks for you input. I’ll make it a point contact Huma to find out the difference between the two regulator styles. Twisting the body seems like a good way to keep the reg more compact. I like the size of yours. If it doesn’t have to be big, why have a bulky regulator? The only thing that really concerns me is what’s offered for the price difference between the two models.

Last edited:
I’m also seeing this Huma external reg. https://www.huma-air.com/External-Din300-High-Pressure-Air-Regulator
Anyone familiar with this model?
I have Huma's inline rotating model and like it. Under pressure it doesn't spin too easily to get knocked off it's setting. Though that is not the case when not pressurized, and a wrap of tape fixes that. The new model you showed with the two gauges looks promising with it's compact size and small adjuster and two gauges. I'd get that new model if it weren't for the inline unit I already own.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@Airgun-hobbyist What I’d like to confirm is that the reg with the dual nanometers is intact a newer regulator than the regular that rotates. I just happened to stumble upon it while shopping for fittings.
When I bought the Huma inline model a couple of years ago they did not offer the inline dual gage setup, so I'd say it is newer. Because they are in the business of air regulation, I'd trust it to be a good unit.

does everybody shoot as fast as they can ? like a mag every 2 minutes ? really i can only see a tethering for a match like Bench rest . but not at home or practice range .
@beerthief No I don’t. It’s usually the opposite for me. I may shoot 100 shots in 2 hours and that’s a lot for me. I rush shots sometimes for various reasons, but it’s not something I practice. Like @trlrman stated inline regs are great for big bores that only give you a good 4-5 shots accurate shots around their sweet spot .

Also, I like my big bores and big-bore ammo costs more than smaller calibers (think 100 .35 pellets per tin versus 300 .25 pellets per tin for around the same price), so I’m hoping that an in-line reg makes testing and tuning easier and more cost-effective. Also why not save a little more time and air?

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
I really don't see how the Huma Reg can get accidentally knocked out of tune when you shooting, unless you knock down the entire bench.
But anything possible.

20221030_152829.jpg

20221030_152901.jpg

This is my 147cc scba tank, I never calculated the volume but I am refilling these after 5-6 visits to my club, usually about 150 shots a day. It can hold the pressure my rough guess 7-800 shots to drop below 180 bar??

@bigHUN My situation is different. I shoot in various locations and I use a small, portable, folding, plastic shooting table. Because I don’t know how it feels to turn/adjust this regulator it’s hard for me to envision how this setup would hold up.

For example, I was looking at the length of Tom’s fill line in the video and wondering what would happen if the reg got knocked off the edge the table or something. He had his situated in the middle of a relatively long fill line, not mounted on the tank. What if it was swinging off the edge of the table and bumped one of the legs? Could that cause it to turn and throw off the adjustment? From what you’re saying and what he says about it feeling tighter under pressure it doesn’t sound like it, but I don’t know.

Huma Reg.JPG

You just screw in the Huma to a DIN by the lower SST part (left arrow) with two fingers,
and the upper brass portion (right arrow) turns around 350 degree (360 minus maybe 10 degree), that is your preset pressure 120-180 bar in Medium setting (I don't remember offhead what is a preset for Low or High). In between two pieces underneath is a small dowel that you can remove if presetting to Low or High)
There is no accidental turning on it, you must hold between fingers and turn it, either the bottom Stainless or the upper brass piece )
What could happen, when you screw in the Huma CW (clockwise) you are actually turning both pieces the lower SST and upper brass, and the most CW end of a thread is the lowest pressure, assume 120 bars. If that happened you just turn the upper brass piece CCW back to 180 bar.
Huma shall have the Manual in pdf somewhere on theyre site.

I've been using the same and have been very happy with it. I also thought about the more expensive huma but have not found the need to upgrade. Just make sure not to use that fitting to fill the scba tank. I take off and put on the other adapter. Both just hand tight.

Allen
20221024_094716.jpg

Oh and yes you can swap the bleed and gauge positions.

@Airgun-hobbyist I emailed them with some questions. Someone will likely respond sometime tonight. I’ll make it a point convey what’s communicated to me.
Here’s the response I received from a support team member at Huma Air this morning:

https://www.huma-air.com/External-Din300-High-Pressure-Air-Regulator

Both will serve you well but this is our newest model. It is more user friendly than the old one.
The main benefit is that you can keep an eye on both bottle pressure as well as regulated pressure. And because the regulator is completely stationary you will always have the gauges in sight. Whereas in the rotating design the gauge can be upside down.
The other benefit is that the pressure can now be adjusted without changing Belleville arrangement. And adjusting is a little more convenient due to the large adjustment knob.
Yes both regualtors are rated for 300bar.
I hope this has answered all your questions. If you have anymore, don’t hesitate to ask them!

All the best

Team HuMa-Air”

I then asked if a person would have to wait long between tethered shots shooting big-bored like: .457 Bulldog, Airforce Texan, or an AEA Zeus. In another thread o recall someone mentioned a delay between shots using the Huma reg tethered to a large caliber big bore. And I also inquired about the reg’s ability to handle SCBA tanks that can hold 310 bar (approx 4500psi) pressure.

Here’s the response I got:

“300 bar is the max input pressure. Max output is 250bar.

Those large bore airrifles use a lot of air. So it could take 2-3 seconds to refill your tank back up.

All the best

Team HuMa-Air”

By “your tank” I’m thinking he may have been referring to a plenum or whatever the body holding regulated air is called in these compact units. I’m still learning about regulators so if my terms are off please correct me.

Great info on your experiences guys. Thanks.
Does anyone know the prices on Joe B’s regs? @trlrman Do you recall what you paid for yours? Trying to navigate that site on a mobile device gives me a headache and I didn’t find them on the TopGun site. ATP regs look great, but that’s a lot to spend for something I’ll currently only use on occasion. At this point I have some unregulated big bores I’d like to work with. Ideally I’d like an inline reg that can handle a 4500 psi tank and air gulping big bores without breaking the bank. Huma regs look tempting, but I’m a little reluctant at the moment. How important is the other 10 bar/230-something psi on the input side? Decisions, decisions. What are your thoughts?

@bigHUN thanks for the explanation and photos. Do you have enough clearance to rotate your regulator 350-360 degrees without the manometer hitting the tank? It looks like it should clear it.

@Airgun-hobbyist thank you for the detailed input.

digital-.jpg

I use an Aqua Environment Co. # 415-5000. for $275
Bought direct from them...

You supply the gauges of your choice and adapters to attach to your tank and supply your Airgun...

Stuart
@Ca_Varminter I went to the site and wouldn’t have known what to select from their list. Thanks for providing the link and part number. How much did your assembly run you all together? Where’d you get your gauges and fittings? And how long have you been running that setup? Any issues with it? Looks good.

Reactions: Ca_Varminter
@Ca_Varminter I went to the site and wouldn’t have known what to select from their list. Thanks for providing the link and part number. How much did your assembly run you all together? Where’d you get your gauges and fittings? And how long have you been running that setup? Any issues with it? Looks good.
Glad I could help!
Where I source my parts... From online Scuba compressor suppliers and McMaster-Carr!
The Gauges, standard 5000 psi dial $25-40, Digital $65-90.
The fitting depends on your tank...
MIne standard CF Scuba..not SCBA
So it use a DIN300 connection to tank..$50 to 60..
The rest depend on how you connect the Reg to you Aigun Setup..... hose and connectors..$75-100

Good Luck,
Stuart

Any report on the Huma Air regulator that AOA sells? Never seen that one before this thread. I’m checking it out on the Huma Air site now. They have videos on it. I like the looks of that ATP Regboy, but upwards of $500 is steep! I’m currently looking for an external reg for tethering purposes to test and tune big bores. It would also be a plus to use for filling airguns from a SCBA tank as well. Experience based input is appreciated.
ATP RegBoy is expensive just like JB's external regulator but they're more verstile if you need it to be. You can adjust in any increments (small or big) vs HUMA which has 3 different settings (let's just call it low, medium and high - I forget the numbers in bar). HUMA's, I don't think you can just go up or down without degassing and disconnecting the unit, disassemble and mess with the belleville washers, unless there's a new model out already. The previous two mentioned, you can go up or down under pressure and to higher pressures (they had big bore power hungry players in mind).