Testing the new .177 Zan slugs ( 13 & 20 grain )

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
Just a little FYI.

So i ran some of the 13 grain slugs thru my 700 mm Maverick yesterday, and i was very encouraged by what i saw shooting 90 M, and that i have ordered 10 boxes in only a good thing, i think 13 grain is what i will shoot in bulk with a few 16 on the side.

Basically even with just a half decent tune, hitting a golf ball sized target at 90 M are no big deal, it seemed to me a speed around 900 FPS was preferred.

I then proceeded to test the 20 grain ones, but here i ran into problems, while the slugs fit fine on the magazine of the Maverick, then i saw jam after jam and in the end turned to single loading which without owning a tray for that is kinda problematic.

So i did not get around to shoot those much and i only got to speeds a little over 800 FPS and i think that is a little low, so will have to get back to you on those.

Clearly i will have to up my REG pressure from the 100 BAR i am at now, but that will have to wait until i have also tested the 16 grains ones, which i am told by GLS that they have just shipped off to me from Huma.

On a side note the 10 grain KO slugs my maverick absolutely did not like in its stock 600 mm configuration, well with the 700 MM barrel, shooting the last 2 tins i have of those will be quite enjoyable,,,,,, not being locked into fire those off in the Vulcan 3 alone is nice.

Dident get around to snapping some pictures as i was also bridge building,,,,, literally, building a bridge for the G scale model railroad also in the field we frolic around on.

You know having a good time before it is too late for guys at our age and health. :)

Come weekend there will be more shooting, though again it seem like i will have to share the general area with 10 or so 23 - 30 CC RC cars, so the audio track will again be " chanisaw mayhem "

More 13 grain and 16 grain arrived today.

IMG_20220603_125559.1654253940.jpg

Sadly the weather gurus have added to the strength of the wind gusts in their foreseeing of the weather in the weekend, but i am still going to make the best out of it.

I will be testing with the Vulcan 3 this time around.

I have also ordered a Carm slug magazine for the Maverick and a Carm magazine for the Vulcan + a single shot loader for the Maverick.

Here is a picture taken from in front of the shed, as you can see trajectory for the 90 M targets are across parts of the RC track and fairly close to the driver tower too ( the container )

The little white dot way back there in the middle of the picture, that is a disposable paper plate on a fence post, you can see the 50 M targets too and the berm behind them on the left.

IMG_20220531_121404.1654254557.jpg

Also those guys will park all over the place.

Shooting from the " Bell tower " position you are shooting well over any parked cars, but still close to the driver tower, so we cant have that, so it is temporary targets again.

And thats just fine too, i have some BR50 papers and my buddy have a battery powered staple gun.

A areal ( satellite ) view of our playground.

Layout.1654256247.jpg

Only downside is the land are a bit uneven so for shooting 50 M from the shed we are shooting up at a 10 degree or so angle, the targets are about 20 feet higher than the rifle i recon.

It is also possible to put up a table or two beside the Bell tower position, the mount this position are on just about even out any height difference to the back Right corner of the field, but then if you shoot to the back Left corner you will shoot down a bit.

Which i think is just fine even if i dont think it have all that much to say in the shooting.

I will get myself a couple of knock down targets i can put up and shoot at off hand or from improvised rests, and play a bit of field target,

Will have to be big targets as i can barely hit a barn door of hand.

Also have to try the #2 shooting position some time this summer, that should be well over 100 M to the back Right corner of the field.

Just replenished my ammo box so i am ready for the weekend, and my friend have been creative since i left him Wednesday so he completed the remaining 4 bridge parts on his own. ( i knew making a Jig was the way to go )

So this weekend we can focus on the alignment / height of the bridge deck and make preparations for casting the foundations the 4.2 M / 14 foot long bridge will lie on, the bridge are not super realistic, but it will do the job and hold 2 parallel tracks across the small pond.

Also i will see if i can make the channel intro trailer for my youtube airgun channel, and then we will see if people like to ride a pellet or will have to close their eyes for the first 5 seconds or so of my videos in the future as i intend to use that in the start of every video, and there are some people that get motion sickness.