• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Testing the .22cal Edgun Matador with the Power Plenum

Many of you have now tried the Matador .25cal fitted with the Huma reg and my power plenum kit and the 34gr JSB heavy pellets at 890fps to 935fps. 

Last week I finally got some time to run some tests with the kit in a .22 cal matador. 
I have a "new" unused matador R2.5 (one of my personal favorite pcps) which was perfect to set up for testing.

Although I was unsure the older Lothar Walther barrels Ed used on the R2.5 with the 1-17.7" twist rate would be enough for the heavy .22 pellets I planned to shoot I would give it a go. 
I had to do a few mods to bring it in line with the R3 matador for more comparable results which consisted of a new R3 valve plug with the recessed valve face opposed to the flat face of the R2.5 and some of the early R3's, this gave a little more plenum space and allowed me to fit the stronger new R3 valve poppet as well. 
I had to drill and tap the rear of the new valve to match the older R2.5 valve as the trigger pack required an extra screw on this model. 

Then I fitted up the new power plenum, hammer weight and set the Huma reg to 130bar.

After putting it all back together and filling the cyl it was off to the chrono to see what speeds I could get from the 25.4gr and 34gr .22cal pellets.
The 34gr beasts were not really high on my list of intended pellets to shoot in this gun but I got a little over 790fps with them and later 810fps with them when I tried a higher reg setting of 135bar. Both settings gave reasonable 10 shot groups at 50 yards of about 3/4".

They are a little heavy for this set up so it was on to the 25.4gr Jumbo Monster JSBs. 
I only have the older design to test but look forward to picking up some of the new redesigned 25.4gr .22 early in the new year. 

L/H older 25.4gr monster Mid Redesigned 25.4gr monster R/H 34gr Beast 

The Monsters shot an average of 915fps and about 50ftlbs and the accuracy was actually really good even with these old design 25.4gr monsters putting 10 shots into a nice ragged hole at 50y and 12 good hits on the 100y spinner inside about 1.5" .
The gun is very quiet and a joy to shoot. It gets about 50 good regulated shots from a 230bar fill with the reg set at 130bar. 

I also tested some H&N rabbit magnum II pellets. They shot a little faster than the monsters although they weigh almost the same but accuracy was terrible. They are wildly unstable and can be seen spiralling wildly even at the 50y target. 

Id really love to see someone set up a .22cal Matador long with the power plenum and test the 25.4gr Monsters and 34gr Beasts as I think the long platforms at more suited to this magnum upgrade. The newer Matador R3s have a 1-16.1" twist which should perform even better than my test unit. 
Im having a blast with this 50ftlbs .22 and had it out this morning shooting pigeons with great results. it really doesnt feel any different to shooting the 18gr pellets at 900fps but oh man it puts some serious smack on the target!
I think Ill leave this one set up as a magnum and and order a box of the new redesigned pellets asap.

Bringing the .22 up to .25 level at 50ft lbs with accuracy.Now that is some good news,,,,I've been anxiously waiting to see the results of the Huma Reg and power plenum in the .22. I just happen to have a .22 R3 Standard and have a .25 R5 long ordered from Brian and this kit would be fun to play around with both rifles and see the results. Thanks for your input and developing these kits Wingman,,,,great work!

Yes I hope it will shoot them well out to 200y as well.
If this R2.5 slower twist barrel doesnt perform like I hope, I'll switch the kit into my newer Matador R3.22cal for testing.
(I didnt want to mess with my R3 as it is tuned to perfection for 18.13gr JSBs and it shoots incredibly)

I calculated the B.C of the older JSB 25.39gr Monsters to 0.048 which is not bad at all and quite a lot higher than the .25cal 25.39gr JSB kings with a B.C of 0.038 from the same muzzle velocity, my .25cal Matadors shoot the kings reasonably well to 200 yards when the conditions are right so I have high hopes for the redesigned .22 monsters. 

I am absolutely fascinated by your "power plenum" Wingman...will you explain how this works to me? Why such a large plenum space? Doesn't it just use up more air? Or does the larger plenum size give you the velocity you seek at a lower regulator pressure? My mind is on fire with these questions...I read all about the one at Edgun West in California but I thought a guy named brian invented it...
All the best, Chuck

Sorry for the delayed update on this test. I have been waiting for my delivery of JSB pellets and these .22cal 25.4gr redesigns were with them.

In conclusion I was disappointed in the results. The head size on the new 25.4gr JSBs was way too big for my barrels. The pellets all spiraled and printed disappointing 1" groups at 40y.

The 1-16.1" twist in the R3 and R3M may do better but I really dont want to mess with my R3 that I have set up to shoot the 18.13gr pellets at 900fps. I shot a few of the 25.4gr through it which gave about 830fps and they were spiralling at that speed but I dont think velocity or twist rate was the cause.
With that said my early production R3 (first batch) has a very tight choke and is super fussy on head size, even the 18gr pellets spiral wildly if the head size is over 5.50mm.
I was lucky enough to purchase a box load of 5.49mm Edgun branded 18.1gr pellets that it shoots lights (better than any other .22cal PCP I own) so I have no urge to find a new pellet for that gun.

I measured the head size of the new 25.4gr redesigned JSBs at a massive 5.64mm !!! I have no doubt that this is the cause of my spiralling issues in both guns so continuing tests at other velocities seems pointless in this case. 

My R3 will show spiralling with a 5.51mm pellet at 900fps and a perfectly stable pellet at 5.49 to 5.50mm so it's never going to shoot a 5.64mm pellet.
Im sure there are other batches of pellets out there with a smaller head size that would shoot great in my tubes but I have no intention of buying boxes and boxes of them to find some. JSB seriously need to start grading and marking their tins better with correct head sizes... the frustration of buying hundreds of tins to locate a batch that actually works with your barrel gets real old fast. 
Depending on the head size of the pellets you test, your results may differ from mine, as a general rule the smaller 4.47 to 5.50 pellets shoot better in quality made PCP barrels like L/W BSA and CZ and the larger head sizes do well in the shoddy oversized chinese barrels like Crosman Marauders etc. I had a P-Rod that would only shoot 5.54mm and above.
Ed did change to a less tight choke dimension in the barrels of his later R3Ms and continues to fit them in his new R5s which has given a wider forgiveness of shooting a broader range of head sizes from JSB pellets. His newer guns have been said to be better shooters for this reason.. they are much less pellet size fussy. 

So if you have a newer R3M .22 with the upgrade choke and you can find a tin of these new pellets with a smaller head size please test them and share it here on my thread. even at 830fps without the magnum kit they should shoot well without spiraling or a wobble. if it will do this then it will excel at 900fps and be a great long range contender. 
Sadly neither of my .22s will be. 

Its back to my BSA barreled shorty .25cal magnum for those 200y shots :)