• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Testing pellets

imagejpeg
trying to figure out which pellet my new (first ever) airgun likes. Is this an acceptable 20yd (9 shot) group or should I keep looking for a different pellet? I had 3 different pellets give about the same size group. Will the heavier pellets I tested probably group better at longer ranges than the lighter ones?

Hatsan at44 qe long in .25 cal if that matters.

Amccoy, I'm unable to see the pic you attached (possibly a bad link?) so I'm not sure what your 9 shot group looked like. I can tell you that my .25 AT44 Long loves the new JSB Heavy MKII's. Half inch groups of five shots at 50 yards are not the exception but the norm for me with the MKII's. I haven't had much time to fine tune them at 100 yrds but the couple of groups I did try were right at 1.25 inches (by comparison the lighter 25 grain JSB's typically grouped closer to 2 inches at 100 yrds).

I've also tried the H&N Grizzly's. They would be acceptable for hunting at 50 yards (1 - 1.5 groups), but really start to open up for me at at any greater range. I shot them a few weeks ago at 75 yards and the groups were on the order of 4-5 inches! But some others report better results with these, so you really do just need to try different pellets to find out what works best for you.

Enjoy your new air rifle!

Thanks Bill. That's what I was trying to do, see if my gun likes certain pellets before I move the target back. So I'll move on out to 50 then and see if I can keep 'em grouped there too. I just didn't really know the parameters by which to judge whether or not my gun likes or hates certain pellets. But I guess if I'm happy with the grouping I'll just move the target further out.
Thanks again everybody.