Testing info on 20 different lubricants

Had a bit of free time today and shot these groups at 40 yards, Hades 15 grain, Brocock Sniper XR, SWFA 6X scope, 765 FPS on power level two down from hi.

1597439579_21440597085f36fe5beeb476.65477238.jpeg

1597439601_20658962745f36fe714d7374.24588051.jpeg

Ten shots in each target except for bottom right which has 20 shots in it. I was having so much fun I didn’t want to stop. The top right must have been when all the planets and stars were aligned. I couldn’t believe my eyes 👀 

I’ve been using Lemon Pledge myself for a few years and similarly find that it is certainly less messy than other products. Strike hold is a dry lube that goes on wet and leaves a dry film behind. Since I was in a hurry I shot the above with the product still wet. I have some Strike Hold coated pellets laying out to dry and will try them in a few days to see if I get similar results. 

The Stihl oil had the weirdest feeling of any oils that I have tried so far. It leaves your fingers with a very slippery waxy feeling. It’s difficult to describe in words and it stands out as the most different feeling oil of the group. I have been using this product for years as a sprue plate and mold pin lube on my bullet casting molds. It holds up better to heat than any other sprue lube I’ve tried to date.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Interesting chart! I'm sure it took you a while to compile all that information. It would seem that one could conclude that the top few products on your chart made your barrel easier to clean, or perhaps even prevented lead fouling. To me, that would be reason alone to lube pellets.

Thanks for your work on this!

Mr.H

I couldn't have summarized it any better.

Thanks for following along,

tim...

Reactions: Mr.H
I have been using Napier Power pellet lube. I rarely need to clean my FX barrels. I have shot so many pellets through some of my guns I lost count on the tins. I have never needed to replace a breech O ring or any other O ring for that mater. No Idea what its made from and some say its expensive but for the couple squirts per tin I use I will keep using it.

I was using Finish line, and then Napier’s and recently switched to good old Superlube, food grade Silicon oil. 
it’s very cheap and the one thing I like is that it’s the same “oil” as the silicon grease we use on o-rings. So no chance of it attacking them and the breech o-ring is re-lubed with each shot. I am getting very good groups but there’s no proof that the oil is making any difference

I try to go sparingly as too much just gets your fingers oily... one advantage the Finishline had. Dry wax

i haven’t done any comparison and the primary reason I tried silicon oil is mainly cost. Also oil keep the pellets from oxidizing after the factory live is removed with washing. And no smell.

My barrel still gets quite dirty. I might have to do a comparison again w Finishline. 
Napier is just too expensive for me. 

I"m a touch late to this game but......my go to lube is Mobile One, the lightest you can get. Period. My test, I've got embroidery machines, it's my business. Anyway I've tried many lubes and Mobile 1 is the ONLY oil that lasts, regular oils need replenishing often on the rotary hook (every 4 hours), the Rotary Hook spins really fast, With Mobil 1, I oil it is every couple of WEEKS. All bearing surfaces move like crazy and they are now lubed monthly instead of weekly. I've used Mobile 1 on all of my firearms (I have a wonderful collection of lubes), all moving parts as well as the barrels, your actions will smooth up. I've used it on my new Zbroia Sapsun 550, all moving parts. I've cleaned the barrel...I've NEVER seen something so dirty in my life,,20 patches with Hoppes solvent is what it took to stop them from being BLACK. Then a light coat of Mobile One. Next is to do an actual test of accuracy/speeds with a clean barrel. Oh the barrel thing, I've got a Savage A17 17HMR that I use to gut ground squirrels, my average range is 125 yards so the accuracy hasn't been hurt one bit buy using the Mobile 1 in the barrel.

IMG_0492.1646410041.jpeg

HogKiller,

Try straight 30W NON-detergent motor oil on your machines. I have a couple Dillon reloading presses for my firearm ammo and have tried every lube on the ram and after a few hundred cycles the lube always turned black and this included Mobil-1. Then I tried straight 30W non detergent motor oil, the kind you use in a push mower single cylinder splash lubricated engine and voila. No black grunge and the oil remains clean and stays in place for thousands of cycles of the press. Now, it’s all,I use on my presses and all of my firearms.

BTW, Mobil-1 is nothing more than a synthetic hydrocarbon or a man made product with the EXACT same specs as it’s mineral oil equivalent at 2-3x the price. It’s a sham.

This is an old thread but I thought I should add some updates: 

Strike Hold is the best firearm cleaner I've ever used and its all I use on my carry pistols as it leaves a dry film that lint and dust don't attract to like wet CLP products. It takes a day or two to dry on the pellets but can be used wet with similar results. Having said that I have now since switched to an aerosol Beeswax polish on my pellet rifles. It dries in a few hours, leaves the barrel cleaner longer and a couple dry patches pulled through is all it takes to restore any accuracy loss you think you may have had. I buy the Beeswax polish from Annie's on-line.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=112168&cat_id=1903

This product was suggested to me by another forum member here and I am very happy with its performance and accuracy. I don't have the Brocock anymore so I can't run a similar test that we could compare to the previous results. I generally clean my pellets first with Acetone which dries quickly and then apply the Beeswax polish. My process for applying it is to spray some Beeswax polish on an old strip of T shirt material, drop a hand full of pellets onto the cloth, hold each end of the cloth and tumble back and forth rolling the pellets in the polish. Dump them out to dry and your done. It seems like the barrel is self cleaning and only takes 1 or 2 dry patches to clean the bore.

After I clean the barrel I pull a couple wet patches of Beeswax polish through the barrel to wax the bore and allow that to dry before my next shooting session.

Reactions: Mr.H