Testing different ELR slugs at 200 yards for potential 700+ targets

I am a self taught "long range shooter" The longest range available to me is only 300 yards. I plan to extend my long range shooting to 700+ yards by driving 4 hours in each direction from my home to a new range.

I have shot over 1750 rounds at 200 yards with an average of a "shooters MOA". I'm know at my club range to split playing cards at 200 yards without any difficulty. I typically zero at 50 yards and go straight to 200 yards. I have no interest in shooting less than 200 yards.

I narrowed down the best 2 slugs for 200 yards at a specific tune. Now, I want to to try 6 different slugs for over 300 yards.
I would typically test new slugs at 200 yards. However I question myself if I should be testing and shooting groups at a closer distance?

If I test these 6 new slugs by shooting groups at 50/100 yards, is it reasonable to think the accuracy would translate the same at longer distances? Would an experienced ELR shooter use the same slug that shot great groups a 50/100 yards, for 500+ yards targets? Or use a specific slug for extreme long range, knowing the same round would not group well at shorter distances?

If you can keep your comments and suggestions "on topic" I would like to learn from your experiences.

Rod in San Francisco

My experience is that if it does terrible up close its outs, but test at long range also. Some slugs seem to have a "fall off". Theyre good and then suddenly theyre not. Not sure why it is, seems to be the case for me. But normally a good 100 yard group will translate.
Thank you for chiming in.

I think for testing don't go shorter then 100. At 50 you cannot read the flaws. At least this what I figure for myself when re-tuning and de-tuning...not a recent experience, my shooting season didn't started yet still the winter won't go away, but that is the exercise I will be doing a first week anyway.
Thanks for chiming in.

In 257 most slugs below or at 90gr will do perfectly at 100y but all - all will fall past 200 - not enough twist except the 257-420 bt and a 74gr from arcenal molds in a mild wind they should be good up to 400y + .. the only heavier slugs that do well 600y + is the griffin 85gr bt .. I imagine because the center of gravity is at the center of the slug .. compared to any other slugs aviable for casting.. I had new barrels made in 257 but machinists had been with health problems. So I'm in turn.. to see how 1-8 and 1-9 would do with 90 to 100gr spizer BT ..

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
In 257 most slugs below or at 90gr will do perfectly at 100y but all - all will fall past 200 - not enough twist except the 257-420 bt and a 74gr from arcenal molds in a mild wind they should be good up to 400y + .. the only heavier slugs that do well 600y + is the griffin 85gr bt .. I imagine because the center of gravity is at the center of the slug .. compared to any other slugs aviable for casting.. I had new barrels made in 257 but machinists had been with health problems. So I'm in turn.. to see how 1-8 and 1-9 would do with 90 to 100gr spizer BT ..
mercado, thanks for chiming in. Great intel

Pushing a slug out past 400 yrds has many variables to contend with. Caliber, slug design, weight, barrel fitment, twist rate, overall power output, ect, ect, ect; they all have a variance on performance. I'm in no way saying it can't be done, I personally have ran down the long range rabbit hole with a .25 cal, heavily tune M-rod; generating 112ftlbs. Yes, it's a rush hitting targets out past 300 meters; but shortly past 320 meters I can't see my hits. I with all the luck to you on your venture, but be for warned; the Rabbit Hole Is DEEP!

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Pushing a slug out past 400 yrds has many variables to contend with. Caliber, slug design, weight, barrel fitment, twist rate, overall power output, ect, ect, ect; they all have a variance on performance. I'm in no way saying it can't be done, I personally have ran down the long range rabbit hole with a .25 cal, heavily tune M-rod; generating 112ftlbs. Yes, it's a rush hitting targets out past 300 meters; but shortly past 320 meters I can't see my hits. I with all the luck to you on your venture, but be for warned; the Rabbit Hole Is DEEP!
davhowrd, thank you for chiming in. I'm familiar with those deep holes and currently working on a 3rd pit.

• Wow
Reactions: davhowrd
If you got a load too split playing cards at 200 yards ....I would use that....Sometimes the more things you try and change are not a advantage... I got beat shooting bench rest by many old timers that used the same boring BR cartridge day in and out....Realistically subsonic ELR shooting is 300 yards or so... Spotting hits is difficult at long range... What you have already accomplished with a 257 Texan is amazing....Your .257 is about as accurate as any PCP out there... You need to start shooting competition's..You may be surprised how well you do....😀

If you got a load too split playing cards at 200 yards ....I would use that....Sometimes the more things you try and change are not a advantage... I got beat shooting bench rest by many old timers that used the same boring BR cartridge day in and out....Realistically subsonic ELR shooting is 300 yards or so... Spotting hits is difficult at long range... What you have already accomplished with a 257 Texan is amazing....Your .257 is about as accurate as any PCP out there... You need to start shooting competition's..You may be surprised how well you do....😀
RM, thanks for chiming in.