AEA Tested smooth bore Zues 72 today!

I haven't been able to get to a range and I couldn't wait anymore so I made a couple indoor "friendly" shells. One filled with airsoft bbs, one with 3 50cal rubber riot rounds.
20231127_143220.jpg

This was the airsoft bbs at 15ft. A few went through the 2 inches of cardboard. The wad blew right into the middle of the stack of boxes.
20231127_143807.jpg

This was the 3 50cal rubber balls. I was impressed with the spread. The projectiles were light so I think lead will pattern better. I did this mostly to make sure my shell design worked and it seems like it does.

Now I just need to get outdoors so I can really test it lol. There was a lot of ar500 steel behind those boxes as well as a pile of clothes a plastic folding table and a solid wood door, always practice safety! :)

1000006606.jpg
so after 2 shots my zeus transfer port exploded... so I spent about 10 hours so far making this one by hand out of aluminum lol. I used a belt sander, hack saw, dremel, and a lot of files. My hands are sore and I'm about half way there. I also have ordered several kinds of metal pins to try out that are thicker than the 2mm stock pin.

So I test fired a bird shot round today, this happened at 15ft:
1000007780.jpg
the entire wad went through the 4 inches of cardboard the target was on. It entered this side of a folded 2x4 table, then exited:
1000007779.jpg

Then it went through my storage room door:
1000007762.jpg

Then it peppered another door in that room with birdshot:
1000007764.jpg

So it seems like it penetrates. :D I need to figure out how to get the wad to disperse the shot and not fly out as a slug but I can't shoot this thing indoors anymore lol.

Ah vent holes!

I ventilated my ex wifes sweaters in a similar fashion one snowy day about 35 years ago, LOL. She was out of town and my friend and I who worked as house painters had the day off(or so I thought) and I had just acquired a used Anschutz 22rf target rifle I couldn't wait to shoot 😁.

We set up down the end of the hallway with a box full of magazines to stop the low noise/low velocity ammo's bullets at a distance of 50ft using official NRA 50ft targets, but we kept hitting the same place on the bulls as each target was taped in the same place. I kept checking to make sure the bullets were getting stopped and they were so I thought all was good, well not quite, nope, haha, the unthinkable had happened! When we finished the last target and went down to check our scores there were holes going into the wall right through where the bulls had been on the target.

Hey I'm a house painter so I patched up the holes, repainted the wall, and everything was good for a long while until my ex noticed some of her sweaters were missing at the extreme right side of the bedroom closet which was on the other side of the wall that the vent holes were. I learned sweaters hanging in a closet are fantastic bullets stoppers so try it sometime. For more great tips on how to enjoy inside shooting sports and get the wife excited I'd be happy to share. 😆
Busted I was compelled to confess the truth.
Darn I should have reminded her of this story at Christmas, I bet her 4th or 5th husband, I've lost count how many, would have gotten a good laugh.

I later married a fantastic wife who laughs at all my silly mistakes!