Terrifying Wake up alarm this morning at 4AM

Boys and girls I can now tell you that there is no alarm clock nor anything else that will wake you up from a very sound sleep in sheer terror than a full 3600 PSI 500 cc bottle popping its burst disk in the same room you are sleeping in. It launched me straight up out of bed with prickles running up and down my spine. There was no reason for it to pop. The room was 65 degrees and the bottle / R&L extreme valve setup had never even been used on my .257 Condor to date (It had been built and pressurized to test for leaks). The only thing I can think of is possibly when the valve was shipped it accidentally had a stock 3K Burst disk because a 5K disk should not have ruptured at that pressure. It is also a bit hard to go back to sleep after such an incident.
O well at least it wasn't a 75 cu/ft bottle! :p

As you can see from the pictures it is impossible to tell what PSI the disk was because it was ground away when the grooves were cut down the sides of the assembly.

45ed4fb9a6021d640c99eb8d20f5ff7b.jpg
b48af14b829930cde9e76ada668c421e.jpg

Thurmond

Yup that'll make you jump for sure. 

A few weeks ago our alarm system went off about 3am. Turns out the door to our garage wasn't completely shut & either the wind or the AC caused it to open just enough to trip the sensor. Boy I was up, armed, and ready to defend our house in about 3 heart beats! I had a heck of time falling asleep after that. I can't imagine a 3000 psi bottle popping in the same room!

@ Hynzie ... No the disk and shattered parts are all captive within the assembly. I always install my bottles on AirForce equipment with the burst disk facing down or away from me as much as possible. This happened with the gun in its case in the closet. If it had not been contained I can only imaging how loud it would have been. I just ordered 2 new assemblies rated at 5K (Bottle HP is good to nearly 5500 and WP is 3625 psi) so I hope that cures it once and for all.

@ Michael ... some years ago I lived in Mukilteo, WA in an upstairs apartment. I heard shattering glass in the middle of the night and myself and Combat Commander broke out of bed and searched the apartment. Nothing wrong with outside windows or doors. Finally found that the Glass Doors on the fireplace had shattered (we had has a small fire in it in the early evening). Apparently a screw had been installed in an incorrect position and had nicked the Tempered glass when the metal expanded due to heating. When it cooled the glass exploded.

Thurmond

The old yellow lab that we lost Feb 4 2017 was the best alarm we ever had. No one could come in the house without us going to the door first, that was the only time he barked when he was in. When outside he would bark to get in, or at the UPS,FedEX,urility man and cops, he would not let them out tile we came out to check. If he needed to go out to take care of business he would come put his noise on your arm or leg to get your attention and then go to the door. 
The best squirrel dog we ever had also, could not pick up the air rifle without him under me.
I'll had to turn my alarm back on Feb 4 

Our lab was 13 years old and his hips were gone. We had a ramp for him to get in a car or truck. He went everywhere we went. He was in so much pain he would not eat or take his meds. It was real hard to put him down, Hip surgery was not a good choice they said he would not get over it. We could not stand to see him in pain any longer. We did shoot a squirrel for him right before taking him for his last ride, he just went over and smelled it and looked back at me and slowly came back.
It will be a good while before we get another lab, we did try a small dog from the pond and he like to have not made it back to the pond. He bit my daughter-n-law when she brocked him from bitting my grandson that was trying to pet him. That ended dog for here for a while.

The local scuba shop bought a pallet load of 3000 psi 80 cu ft tanks complete with k-valves a few years ago, four of which were ordered for me. Two burst discs popped on first fill at no where near working pressure. It turned out to be defective burst discs and we wound up replacing all of the burst discs. 

One of of them going off next to you at the fill station does result in needing a change in underwear. 

Jim