Ten Dimes, HW-98, You be the judge.

Thanks for the kind words. I suppose you guys over the pond would call this a low end spring rifle but in Aus it cost me $450.00 about 4 years ago. In comparison my Hw50S cost me $570.00 last year. I did a bit of work on the rifle back then because it was my second new rifle and where I lived I couldn’t buy a Walther or a Weihrauch. The rifle shot pretty well at first but I wanted it to be better so i..........

- pulled it apart and deburred all the sharp bits

- polished the piston, because I read somewhere that this would help lol but I didn’t notice any difference

- installed new piston seal from Customairseals 

- asked Laurie from Customairseals to make me a new breach seal and pivot washers and I installed those.

- fitted new detent spring to improve lockup

- filed edge of detent

- tried different powered gas rams to get a softer as possible shot

- tried trigger fix that was on the internet but in the end removed and filed with a polishing stone the trigger sear and oiled

- removed small trigger tension spring (my words)

So in the end I was very happy with the rifle, as I used to enjoy countless hours of plinking with it. I have the same rifle in 22 cal and have done about the same amount of work on it with the exception the fixing the trigger, this ones not to bad and fitting a lower powered gas ram (a Gamo ram). It shoots the FTTs at about 700fps.

One thing I learned was the amount of enjoyment and fun you can have by experimenting with something I didn’t know a lot about initially. So yes it’s a big box air rifle with a lot of love attached. I look forward in seeing how your rifle progresses.

Gary

Here's mine I just shot. I posted this on the other similar thread also. Shot at only 20 yds, that's all I got, with a 50s 20 cal.
IMG_20210424_153315534.1619297573.jpg

I am jealous of you guys that own a 98 in .20. It has to be the cats pajamas, has to be.

I kitted my .177 98 with a 12 Ft. Lb. kit and it is a sweetheart of a spring rifle. For backyard duty and banging away at 25 yards, the 12 Ft. Lb. kit was arguably the best money that I have spent on an air rifle. The character of the rifle changed completely, and for the better.

I am jealous of you guys that own a 98 in .20. It has to be the cats pajamas, has to be.

I kitted my .177 98 with a 12 Ft. Lb. kit and it is a sweetheart of a spring rifle. For backyard duty and banging away at 25 yards, the 12 Ft. Lb. kit was arguably the best money that I have spent on an air rifle. The character of the rifle changed completely, and for the better.

Ol' Doc Beeman was right. It's a shame the .20 is gradually going the way of the Dodo. Ammo getting harder to find every year and with all this other stuff going on, very hard to find any variety in pellets. It's good that they seem to shoot most anything well enough.