• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tell me about the marauder pistol

I have a .177 field/target marauder that I love and I’m considering getting a pistol now. How similar or dissimilar are the two?
What should I expect from the pistol version as far as shot count and accuracy?

How easy are they to mod? I’ve seen some with AR style stocks that look great and that’s what I’d want to do to it.

How quiet is the pistol vs the rifle?

Last question, what scopes seem to fit it? I’m guessing small and light.

I got a P-rod last winter as my first PCP. I was & am very inexperienced at all this so I can't answer most of your questions. 

I paid $300 for mine new & think it's great at that price. I am impressed with its combination of accuracy, compact size, light weight & relative quietness. Oh yeah, trigger is nice, even in stock setting. 

The factory 1399 stock is just not up to the level of this pistol though so if you like the tactical look & don't mind spending the money an aftermarket stock is probably a good choice. But let me explain why I've ruled one out so far. 

The RAI adapter seems to be the most sturdy & offers a lowering spacer which I'd most certainly need. I'm also a hiker so I'd need the folding stock adapter to fit in my backpack. What I was reading suggested that all this together would have made for a LOP that still would've been too long for my youngest son & having it fit him would've been a main reason for getting an aftermarket stock. 

I did find one suggestion about how to make one of these tactical stocks collapse further but never saw a follow up that anyone had tried it.

For scopes, I've had a cheap Hawke 2-7 that was just too big for this compact carbine. 

Also tried a 1x20 red dot with a direct dovetail mount. My first experience with a red dot & let's just say I'm unsure. My older son likes it. 

The one I want to like is the UTG 3-12 Bugbuster but it looks like I'll need offset mounts to get decent eye relief. The side focus down to 3 yards, compact size & cheap price should make for a good fit. I'll experiment with it more once I modify my 1399 stock. Might squeek by with current mounts once stock is shortened. 

Two others I'd like to try the Tac Vector Veyron 3-12 & the Konus As34.

The Konus would likely require a small dovetail adapter which would hopefully keep the scope high enough for the magazine to fit underneath. 

Hope this helps & hope you get good feedback on your other questions. 

I own the prod since it came out like back in 2011 or 2012 and it's still working and holding air since. I did add a huma reg to it. Stock prod is loud even with the shroud. It does not have baffles like the bigger brother. Accuracy isnt as good as the mrod cause its barrel is only 12 inches. Accuracy would be 50 yards or less. Its not a 100 yard gun. I get about 3 mag worth of shot. So 24 shots at 670 fps with 15gr JSB. It's easy to put on a ar stock. There is a adapter you screw at the end and just attach any ar15 stock. Comparing the sound from the mrod to the prod. Think of a mouse trap going off for the mrod and a rat trap going off for the prod. The prod is loud. You will need a LCD/silencer. Get an bug buster scope. They are small and just the right for for it.

1574810747_20359498355dddb47b9efbe5.67786371_20191126_172508.jpg

If you are going to stick with .177, then get the 1720T, It has an LW barrel and is very accurate. Just go to a field target pistol ,match and you will see a bunch of them being used. I have one and it is way more accurate than I am. I had a .22 cal. Mrod pistol and it needed a lot of work to get mine accurate, but it was an early one. I think the newer ones are a lot better from reading other peoples reviews. The 1720T is a single shot while the .22 is a repeater. I think I get about 25 or so shots from my .177 and I use a little bigger transfer port in mine. If I remember right, my .22 got about the same. Good luck.

Bob in WV

I have one, it is significantly louder than the .177 Marauder (I have a gen one .177). I get about 24 shots out of it per fill, I turned it down a little in velocity. I added a TKO mod to it, it is quite a bit quieter, still not as quiet as the marauder. I find the p-rod to be pretty accurate, but it isn’t as easy to hold steady as the rifle. A lot of guys in forums have gone to LW barrels, and I considered it too, but don’t really shoot it much beyond 25 yds. The OEM stock extension is not solidly attached, and until you realize and compensate for it in the hold, it can affect accuracy. The kit to add the AR butt to it is not without issues as well, it attaches to a part that slips in and is held with one screw on body of pistol. Gotta watch that as it affects POI if it gets loose and took me a bit to figure it out. I put a Hawke 2X7 Airmax on it, has worked out well. I also tried a UTG 1.25-4X LER pistol scope on it, I noted that there is a little muzzle flip shooting without a stock or rest. Might just be me...

I really like mine. I bought it used off the old Yellow Forum. It eventually wouldn't hold air overnight, so I re-sealed it. Wasn't that hard, all the o-rings are readily available from Crosman.

I love mine. I installed a larger transfer port, an air tube extension, extended shroud w/baffles, and a Discovery hammer spring, and it shoots a around 21-22 fpe for 3 clips, 24 shots.

The only downside is, this is an older one, and it's very pellet picky. Likes the H & N Sport Field Target Trophy. Sprays everything else!

Great AMERICAN MADE airguns, and fun to tinker on.

1574812097_20175741995dddb9c16d6627.69132998_1012191704a.jpg

I just picked up one a couple weeks ago. Definitely fun to shoot. I just shot 20 pellets, 2700 psi down to 1900, so I'm thinking 30 shots. Have not had time to put it over the chrony so I couldn't tell you how fast it's shooting. As far as how loud it is, well it does have a snap. I put a Sumo on it from Donny and now it's unbelievably quiet. Down side I have to remove the moderator to fill the gun. Could have went with a different one with a tapered end cap to alleviate this but I like this set up. Went with a SP1 red dot from Millet, found it on Craig's List for 10 bucks. Really like it but will probably get replaced with a 2x20 pistol scope eventually. Guess they upgraded the trigger recently, you can alter weight, first stage, switch to a single stage. Vast improvement over the original like a buddy has. As far as the stock.....like most say, it needs improvement. I ordered a cheek rest made by Voodoo Tactical off Amazon for under 15 bucks with free shipping. After a couple hours of farting around with it I am satisfied with the stock and cheek rest. Accuracy is pretty darn good for a 12' barrel and a red dot. I made my own single shot tray, it and the magazine work flawlessly. $329 at Joe Bob Outfitters, free shipping, make sure you go on their email list first so you get the code for a free t-shirt. GET ONE.

1574817597_8873761865dddcf3db1f6b1.75530423_20191126_194445.jpg

The Prod is simply the baby brother to the Mrod.

The rifle seems to be more accurate than the pistol. I own both in .22 caliber by the way. First you will need to decide what you want to do with your pistol. Will it be used for target shooting or hunting. Reason I ask, is with the smaller air volume in the pistol you will have low shot count at higher power, but higher shot count with lower power. I have mine tuned for 15.34 FPE (690 FPS) using 14.3gr JSB's and get 24 shots (3 magazines). I use mine for squirrel hunting only so 24 shots is plenty for a hunting session. So just know what you want from the pistol from the start and you will be fine.

Before you even begin to start "tuning" a Prod you will need a chronograph. You can't tune without it. You've already said you own the rifle version so you should have one already.

The rifle has a larger diameter shroud and baffles so it is much quieter. The pistol has a smaller diameter shroud and no factory baffles. Also there isn't a lot of room between the end of the barrel and the end of the shroud. All this is what makes the pistol louder. It doesn't have the volume to give the air a place to expand and slow down when shot. The only way to quiet the pistol is with an aftermarket moderator. I personally can recommend the Rocker1 which screws on in place of the factory shroud end cap. There are others such as TKO or DonnyFL , ask around and you will get a dozen different answers. But they all pretty much do the same thing.

I can get clover leaf patterns at 30 yards with mine using Predator Polymags, the 16gr standard size, not the shorter version. I also noticed my Prod was a little more accurate when using a single shot tray instead of the magazine. As with the Mrod, you will also have to try different pellets to see what your Prod likes best. I would suggest JSB's and H&N FTT's.

I also have an AR stock adapter on my Prod. A word of warning. Tune your Prod "BEFORE" adding the AR stock adapter. Most of them are secured to the Prod by using the threaded hole in the rear of the air cylinder where you insert the allen wrenches to adjust hammer throw and hammer spring tension. If you put the stock adapter on first, you will just have to take it off each time you want to adjust the gun.

In my opinion a shorter scope looks better on the Prod. Bug buster comes to mind. Also some have stated the 2-7x32 hawke. You won't need a lot of magnification since the Prod is what I would consider a short range airgun. 50 yards or less. I started out with a 3-9x32 and ended up with a plain 6x32 AO.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Get the Marauder pistol and never look back. I shoot mine all the time and last count, I have 65 airguns. Probably do shoot the Marauder rifle a little more. As far a how loud is the pistol, it is louder than the rifle, but not as loud as my 2240's, Crosman Mark 1 &2 or the 116. I live in the country so never worry about sound, but a friend has a moderator on his pistol and I barely hear it when he shoots. My son shoots his in town with a moderator on his and never gets any complaints. If you need a moderator, get one where you can fill the gun with the moderator in place. Just less trouble when filling.