Tell me about PARROTS living in big cities!

Tell me about PARROTS living in big cities!

Recently I have become aware of a swarm of about 30 parrots in an urban environment. 🤔

I don't want to be predjudiced and want to assume they are friendly while extremley chatty birds.

🔶 However, when they roost in a tree, or do a low overpass —
their screams sound like the wife when she finds out her airgunning husband has morgaged the house to buy $6,000 worth of AG gear during COVID-19....
Bloody murder is a mild expression.... 😡

So, are they a nuisance animal — and do they do damage? 
Are they a pest bird?
Are they protected?
❔ 

What hunting techniques are advisable — if they are legal to hunt?

Thanks!

Matthias

My guess is they could be rose ringed parakeets?

Most widely invasive parrot species in the world since they are a pet species which then escape and multipled in many areas.

They tend to fly high and quick and yeah, they shriek like banshees.

Being hollow nesters they cause a lot of similar issues to starlings with competition with native species for nesting sites. They also eat crops - typically fruit and nuts.

Do they look like this?

1588017890_6710978475ea73ae2bc24d0.87692553.jpeg

Edit: Just saw some of the follow-ups that popped up while I was typing - so you're in Peru and yours are native? Lol ignore me then I guess. Haha at least we can shoot these 🤷‍♂️

Yep, San Francisco has a lot of the shrieking little birds, with an occasional parakeet in the mix. There is a great doc on the Parrots of Telegraph Him, if youre interested. 

My son's apartment was/is assaulted daily by their raccous racket, early am to just before sundown.

Given that they are: first in California and second, the home of Diane Fienstein, you can surmise the legal ramifications for attempting to trim the population. 

Better luck not getting a parking ticket in the Financial district than escaping after pelleting one the feathered finger nail on a blackboard callers 

We occasionally see flocks of these Rosy Faced Lovebirds here in Maricopa County, AZ (greater Phoenix area). They are native to southern Africa and supposedly not much of a competitor with native birds as their habitat here is mostly non native palm trees. Since we don’t see them often we do enjoy it when they come by just because they are cool to look at. But they are really vocal and if they stayed full time in my backyard I would see where they would become a nuisance.
http://azfo.org/journal/Rosy-facedLovebird2011.html

1588169002_21214346635ea9892a842fe2.91977043.jpeg