Tedsholdover

sonny

Mar 11, 2017
Florida
I miss Tedsholdover.He had some of the most informative and entertaining short videos on youtube for airguns.I found him honest and not shy but humble considering his talent as a shooter.He taught me alot about air guns and pellet accuracy etc etc etc.I bought my first pcp because of his videos (FX BOBCAT .25) and im here to tell you he was right on the money about the guns accuracy.Anyways I just wanted to pay tribute to him and if anyone else agrees with me maybe you can add a little note here on your opinions.Thanks for reading my thoughts.
Sonny in FLA

Reactions: ironlion269
It was Ted And Matt who made me look harder at PCP air rifles. My first real rifle was a Red Ryder which my aunt gave me when I was 8 years old. My father was a policeman so I grew up learning about guns hunting and fishing. I saved my earnings (I did old jobs and chores) and when I was 12 I went into a local sporting goods shop and purchased a 22 bolt action, this was the first of numerous rifles and pistols I have owned. 
Around 20 years ago I decided that I wanted to learn long distance shooting that is something I found to be challenging and most of all fun. It was getting more and more difficult where I live to find open spaces to shoot 1000-1500 yards. No public ranges were available with more than 2-3 hundred yards, I would trek in the woods to shoot under remote power lines this eventually stopped as it just too tedious to find a place to shoot.
around 2 years ago I began to watch Ted and Matt on YouTube and a flash bulb went off in my head. What I loved about my long distance shooting could be accomplished in less than 200 yard with a PCP Air rifle. Teds shooting made me see that by applying my powder burner experiance to air rifles has opened an exciting new sport for me.
Two years ago I was told I had only a few months to live Shooting has been one of the things that has kept me going and fortunately my illness seems to be under control where I’m now living without an expiration date for this I say thanks to Ted, Matt and all of the friend I’ve made since I’ve discovered air rifles.

One of the neat things about Ted and his videos is that when he posts a new video, it tends to make you entirely rethink an aspect of what your doing. Like when he explained how he won EBR last year. That was like a smack upside the head. Jeez, why couldn't I think of that? Or, when he tested out chair gun by shooting at elevated targets using his drone. I'm sure he helped a lot of people realize why they were missing their game animals up in trees. 

Ted has motivated, guided, and challenged a lot of us in the airgun community. I don't know if he will ever really truly understand the impact he as made on many of us, as he can not actually get to know us the way we have had the opportunity to get to know him. He has a family, he has other interests that are calling for his attention. Like many of us he will cycle thru the distractions and interests in life, but if we are lucky he will be back in the future with more insight.

While I was in the army and for a short while after I go out I was very interested in guns. I was born and raised on a farm so I've always had guns around. About 10 years ago I had a family member steal all my rifles and never replaced them. I saw some of Teds' videos and finally got interested in shooting again, but not powder burners, air guns. My first was a Diana dual caliber a couple years ago and just this year I got myself a Condor in .25 and a Kral in .177.

I watched Matt as well, but Ted is the person I blame for my new compulsion. Some of Teds' videos I've watched many times and a very few I've only watched once. Some of his vids have me rethinking how I do some of my shooting. I've had a few things that I didn't quite understand when he presented them, but when did the shooting I figured it out with trial and error. I'm sure that when he gets going again, I will have more learning to do.

Its hard to keep cranking out videos with a family an career outside of the channel. My channel is modest compared to the size of Ted's following, but I have enough of a channel that I can understand how free time to film and edit ebbs and flows. Some months there's more time available, other months there's barely any time at all. I would bet that Ted began his channel at a time in his life when he had more free time to play around with it and in recent years life got just too busy. 

There's also an interesting thing that happens when one loses time. I used to hunt constantly (weekly thru-out the year) and film only a portion of those hunts. As of late, I haven't been hunting in 8-9 months save a few minutes I spent sitting on a hog bait pile in the summer one evening. So if I do go hunting, I feel compelled to film it for the sake of getting some content on my channel. The feeling of compulsion isn't fun, its like doing another job. Which kills my desire to do it. I bet Ted can relate to that but on a much more massive scale. 

Methinks sometimes we just expect too much out of ourselves and when we don't succeed in every endeavor we feel like we have let someone down. That is not the case. The case is that every endeavor we attempt is merely an attempt at perfection, not the achievement of perfection. Ted is driven to be the benchmark and he beats himself up any time he doesn't achieve it. We all have good days and bad days ... there are days when I feel like I can put hole in hole whether I aim or not ... there are other days when I couldn't buy a bullseye for a million bucks ... and usually I know it before I take the first shot. Life has a way of humbling all of us out, making us get real, showing us what is REALLY important and giving us the quiet time to learn from our mistakes. Ted went into this tournament with a ton of stress on himself, a lot of it self-inflicted ... wanting to prove that last year's win was not just a fluke of good luck ... that he really was the best airgunner in the world. Well ... Ted ... are you the best? Or are you another Muhammed Ali who had his moment of world class greatness and then declined as age and illness took it's toll. Listen to me Ted, you were great last year and that means you are great this year. Anyone who wins the EBR has to get past you to win it because you will always attempt perfection, you will strive for perfection, you will be satisfied with nothing less than perfection ... but you will never achieve perfection ... EVER! Why? Because you are human. Last year was not a one time fluke, flukes happen in spurts of seconds or minutes, not days. Last year you had put all the pieces put together, planned out before they even happened, the only way it would not have happened would have been if you hadn't shown up in Arizona ... this year, not so much. You weren't as hungry as you were, you were kinda satisfied with yourself for last years win ... maybe even took a few things for granted. Welcome to the real world, we all know the thrill of victory AND the agony of defeat ... but the agony of defeat is just a temporary setback ... what doesn't kill you usually will make you better. Personally I look forward to seeing Ted for many years to come and fully expect that I will. You haven't let anybody down except possibly yourself and you will learn to live with that, I've been around the block more than a few times and I know a winner when I see one. Ted is about as close to a natural shot as I have ever seen.

"likkitysplyt"Ted went into this tournament with a ton of stress on himself, a lot of it self-inflicted ... wanting to prove that last year's win was not just a fluke of good luck ... that he really was the best airgunner in the world. Well ... Ted ... are you the best?
Let's not over exaggerate things, that EBR is one of the biggest competitions in Arizona/USA doesn't mean that this holds for the rest of the world ;) There are a lot of great great shooters that can't make it to the EBR or are just not interested in that competition (or are not sponsored to show up).

But for the rest you're quite right, the guys/girls that win matches put pressure on themselves in a lot of cases. They think that people expect that they win again or at least show that they're hard to beat. Everybody has an off day once in a while.

I think Ted just found out that there is more in life than making youtube videos, spending all day at the shooting range, hunting and running an airgun forum (he started this forum). He has a wife and children which need attention too. Give the guy a break and let him live his life, he'll eventually come back if he likes to share something. It has to be a pleasure for him, not an obligation.

Like Many others here Ted was the one I first saw on youtube for what s now my new passion,,,(PCP airguns).
I grew up on a large parcel of land and had a firearm craving since I can remember. I begged my mother and father at about age 8 or 9 for a BB gun which they bought me. My family was not in into guns although my father had a few in the house that just sat in a closet. I shot that BB gun every waking moment and to be honest shot anything that moved. I read anything I could about guns, bought every book I could find. I ended up with a few more air rifles and a few pistols as well by 13.
That is when I got my first shotgun, a Winchester 1500XTR 12 Ga which I still have,,,,,Fell in love with wingshooting and shot it every day after school, my father and mother were very supportive of my fascination of guns and luckily fueled my fire. Reloading equipment came soon after the shotgun as did a steadyflow of more guns. As I grew older and started a family of my own I continued shooting rifles, pistols, and shotguns 3-4 days a week and was very active in my local private gun club. I chased and won numerous state and Zone registered skeet and trap championships along the way. At some point I became tired of shooting a 99 at a skeet tournament and losing to the dozen 100`s.

One day last year (I am 49) I was poking around youtube and saw this guy called Tedsholdover and saw this thing called a PCP airgun. From that moment on my interest in shooting was reborn. 35 years heavily involved in the shooting sports and I had never ever heard of one. (Note to manufacturers,,,,get out there and advertise a bit,,,,and your business will grow 10fold as no one at my gun club ever heard of a PCP either until I showed them),,,,
from first video to Hatsan Bullboss 25, high end scope CF tank and all the rest to my door took about a month.
As you guys all say,,,it didn't take long for number 2,,,,lol,,,,
FX Wildcat 25, scope, FL Sumo, Etc,,,,,,,,
Love this Wildcat,,,,,shoots like a laser and with the Sumo is silent.
Just got in from smakin squirrels tonight with it,,,,i feel like I am the 13 year old again with these airguns.
thanks Ted, and to everyone on here who I have been learning from without you even knowing, (I am on the forum every day and stay current on just about every active thread, (amazing how much you can learn on such an array of topics)
P.S.
Thinking Santa might have a 25 Crown for me which will quell the addiction for a little while anyway.........

Ted inspired me as well. I was a "springer" guy because I thought that was all there is. I was flipping around youtube and saw TedsHoldover. I was impressed by his knowledge and very interested in the guns he was talking about. When he started talking about being able to hit the 10x at 50 yards, well I had to see this. I found a video where he reviewed the Marauder. At <$500 I thought I can do this. That was all she wrote. I was inspired into the dark side of PCP.
Thank you Ted for all you have done for this sport. For all the hours you gave just to promote airguns and support the community. I'm going to have to make it to EBR next year just to get to shake your hand.

Crusher

"Tominco"One of the neat things about Ted and his videos is that when he posts a new video, it tends to make you entirely rethink an aspect of what your doing. Like when he explained how he won EBR last year. That was like a smack upside the head. Jeez, why couldn't I think of that? Or, when he tested out chair gun by shooting at elevated targets using his drone. I'm sure he helped a lot of people realize why they were missing their game animals up in trees. 

Funny you should mention that Tom. Had an email from a buddy inquiring about holdover for elevated shots at the Field Target matches. I went straight to Ted's videos and sent him that very link about 30 minutes ago!

I've even been enjoying Ted's spearfishing videos. Oh wow, he's got Vlog 2 up already! Start with Vlog 0 and Vlog 1....Gotta go LOL
https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA/videos

Peace and Tomcat grease
Fuss

Ted has gotten more people. Into pcps than anybody out there.it amazes me the same story for alot of us tads got 2 little ones now that right there takes all ur time. BBRIAN STAY WELL AND STRONG .TED ALSO SAID HE STILL FEELING THE CONCUSSION. My guess will be well neversee the amount of info ted once put out. Hes made. It . and making money. Good for him. Im sure it was a lot of tiring hours

"Hynzie"Ted has gotten more people. Into pcps than anybody out there.it amazes me the same story for alot of us tads got 2 little ones now that right there takes all ur time. BBRIAN STAY WELL AND STRONG .TED ALSO SAID HE STILL FEELING THE CONCUSSION. My guess will be well neversee the amount of info ted once put out. Hes made. It . and making money. Good for him. Im sure it was a lot of tiring hours
Wait til they get older, they will take up MOST of your time. LOL! I have loved every minute of it (except those darn marathon swim meets). It's been three years now that they have been in college and we are still having withdrawals. Looking forward to the Holidays and spending some time with my kids. Might even get a duck hunt in with my son!

Doc