Ted's holdover

Somebody asked if Ted used YouTube as a primary source of income. No, he's a biologist by day, which is why his "Bird Watching" videos are so good. Explanations about why he shoots what he shoots are very good (Invasive, or whatever). All the entertainment he provides us is a sideline to real life, so I completely understand why he's pulled back, real life took over.

Wow. I guess myself, and I assume most people just hit the thumbs down button and move on if we come across a video we don’t like. I wouldn’t think of going to a forum and posting an angry tirade against someone I used to like and now don’t.

I’m sorry that Ted hurt your feelings and I hope you find closure someday. ❤️

No you are missing the point, his videos can be quite informative, educational, and have a good deal of fun factor all wrapped into one package, I would assume that hitting a down thumb button on a video is a comment on THAT VIDEO.....not on the man himself.

His actions are what cause me to take a good hard look deeper into his public personality.

He has left this very forum because of "hate" on him.

His video(s) on the gauntlet is the stuff of legend.

I am not the only one that thinks he is a ***** for FX.

I don't give one rip on his personal life...that is personal, and off limits to me. You put yourself out in public you better take the good and bad and this cat seems to not take any - very well.

You don't have to worry about "closure" I am all good, I just call it like I see it.

Tell me one thing in the above statements that is off the mark.

I can’t speak to the forum quitting. I discovered this place after he left. However I don’t see many of the more popular YouTube personalities posting on any forum either. I’d suspect that their notariety attracts too much attention and it becomes a distraction. 

I’ve been watching his videos for a while now and he’s done videos on guns other than FX so I don’t think he’s a corporate *****. He does, however, have a large following so I suspect the manufacturers and vendors give him (and others) priority when new products are released to get exposure. He seems like a competitive guy and I doubt he would use something he wasn’t confident with at a competition. There’s a reason that most of the EBR winners have been using FX, Daystate, or other higher tier rifles.

The Gauntlet stuff is nonsense. So what if he didn’t like your gun? Plenty of people hate on one brand or another for reasons that are beyond me. I don’t see the need to create angry response videos or forum posts because my gun of choice was shamed in public. You like what you like and that’s fine. What purpose would Ted trashing the gauntlet serve anyway? FX and Umarex aren’t competing for the same customers so it makes no sense. Unless now you think Ted is a crosman ***** too? 😉

Reactions: sonny
He actually said he wanted me to take over for him. ...I said OK. -Nate 

Youtube's Airgun Channel

...but seriously....if it wasn't for Ted I wouldn't even be involved in Airguns. His videos were my go to source for anything I needed to know on about any gun I bought when I was first starting out. He also clued me in on why I was missed so many birds that were 100 feet up in trees. (its because gravity has less effect on your bullet when you shoot uphill..so you actually have to aim low.) ...Thanks Ted! 

He actually said he wanted me to take over for him. ...I said OK. -Nate 

Youtube's Airgun Channel

...but seriously....if it wasn't for Ted I wouldn't even be involved in Airguns. His videos were my go to source for anything I needed to know on about any gun I bought when I was first starting out. He also clued me in on why I was missed so many birds that were 100 feet up in trees. (its because gravity has less effect on your bullet when you shoot uphill..so you actually have to aim low.) ...Thanks Ted! 

And just why was that....oh yea....he had too many irons in the fire, right.

This is fun! Keep them coming ;)

I have learned once thing in life, no meter what you do, if you do it for an audience, half of them will find that you suck! :D so, be ready! ✌️

So very true, you could be batting 1000 and someone will say well his stance is funny and wrong.

I had really no issue with his product, sure it was pretty darn biased once he really got rolling with the corp cash, everyone is. None of the "big name" reviewers are going to come on and say well the wombat 2000 is pure garbage, they are getting paid by wombat. Reminds me of gun rags and the R51 deal a few years ago....total garbage of a gun yet every gun magazine said it was fantastic....why is that....because Freedom Group (what a name) is dumping millions into ad's in those magazines....do you really think they are going to give you the real story.

And you know I can deal with that.....it is when you use your position to tear apart other options....that crosses a line.

And now that the back lash against his comments got so loud, so vocal, so in his face he ran for the hills.....Oh I am sure he came up with a....well the public is so hostile I am just going to lie low for the safety of my family line of, or even better I am going to take some time off to be with my family, suckers always fall for that line of junk ....... And his sheeple will just swallow it hook line and sinker. If he had a spine, if he felt strong enough in his opinions then he would have stood behind them....he did not, tuck tail and run. If he stood tall I would have respected him for that, I don't agree with what he said or did, but at least he had back bone to stand by it, nope he did not.

In the words of my cousin Vinny

I got no more use for this guy.

I do blame Ted for my addiction. Ted's Holdover was my first exposure to PCP airguns. But you must remember, in 1975 I did one of those really creative high school classes, I think was called, "Interactions" where I designed a house. That house had a rifle range built in. I was already addicted to small bore shooting back then, PCP's were just the next evolution where I could fill my addiction to shooting, and placate my OCD for saving money per shot (the guns are way too expensive to save any $$ on)

Ted's videos were fascinating to me, calculating hold, knowing what species to shoot, and especially having a farm or two to hunt on. Made me jealous. Never met the guy till last November after following his videos for 7 or 8 years. Nice enough guy, watched him with a couple 8 and 9 year olds talking about shooting (they are the future of shooting, ya know!). Nice guy, who has a day job and a family to support. Life changes.

I've often thought about doing a YouTube shooting channel for fun, but the grind of pushing a video out weekly or even monthly really takes the fun out. It becomes a job. I don't begrudge him a couple years off. Maybe he'll see something to get those creative juices going again, maybe not. Until he comes back with more videos (think positive), I'll just make my own way.

In the overly sensitive Politically Correct atmosphere of the day, people often over react to someone else's actions for a perceived slight where none existed. Why people choose to like or not like is beyond me, but whatever. For now, I choose to be entertained and educated by those with more knowledge them me.

I do blame Ted for my addiction. Ted's Holdover was my first exposure to PCP airguns. But you must remember, in 1975 I did one of those really creative high school classes, I think was called, "Interactions" where I designed a house. That house had a rifle range built in. I was already addicted to small bore shooting back then, PCP's were just the next evolution where I could fill my addiction to shooting, and placate my OCD for saving money per shot (the guns are way too expensive to save any $$ on)

Ted's videos were fascinating to me, calculating hold, knowing what species to shoot, and especially having a farm or two to hunt on. Made me jealous. Never met the guy till last November after following his videos for 7 or 8 years. Nice enough guy, watched him with a couple 8 and 9 year olds talking about shooting (they are the future of shooting, ya know!). Nice guy, who has a day job and a family to support. Life changes.

I've often thought about doing a YouTube shooting channel for fun, but the grind of pushing a video out weekly or even monthly really takes the fun out. It becomes a job. I don't begrudge him a couple years off. Maybe he'll see something to get those creative juices going again, maybe not. Until he comes back with more videos (think positive), I'll just make my own way.

In the overly sensitive Politically Correct atmosphere of the day, people often over react to someone else's actions for a perceived slight where none existed. Why people choose to like or not like is beyond me, but whatever. For now, I choose to be entertained and educated by those with more knowledge them me.

I hear you....I mess with video and audio recordings as part of my day to day job, and thought the same thing....I will just setup a couple cameras shoot a few targets, and do some simple narration over it. And it is not that hard to do if you really don't have a learning curve....but you are so right it became a job, man I really don't want to shoot today, or I just want to sit down and plink, I don't want to setup a chrono, and 5 cameras...there is no fun in that for me. Now if youtube was pumping money into my pocket like they did in the early days....sure, I would have filmed my kid playing with toys and getting his thoughts on them if it was for a 6 figure income.....but those days are gone....and really gone for "gun" based channels.

So I totally get you there.

As to a "perceived slight"....you must have not watched the video....it was a pure hatchet job....both he and SG took their videos down.....and I have issue with that on both sides....if you do it, if you think it....and you put it up, then stand by it.

Ahhh, the infamous videos. Yes, I did see the videos and the issues with said Gauntlet. that wasn't the perceived slight I was referring to, much more of a general, "the world is looking for an insult" kind of thing.

Yup that was a bad thing, fanned and made worse by Umarex that should have been more professional. I too was disappointed when the videos came down. And, while I wouldn't mind having something like a Gauntlet, all Umarex guns are currently off my list. As I understand it, Umarex isn't a manufacturer, just a reseller, so may not have wanted to admit to some less than stellar quality issues. just look at their home page to see the list of guns they sell. Baretta, Browning, hammerli, heckler and Koch, Ruger, RWS, Umarex, Walther, Colt, Glock, Legends, Smith & Wesson, and more.

I suspect there was a bit of back room pressure to get both to take their videos down at the same time, if you know what I mean.

Happily, that incident is moving to the past and the future is bright with the Dreamline coming out, putting downward pressure on prices across the PCP market. The future looks very bright.

Keep shooting straight, have fun and I never want to get caught up in the politics and drama, I'm here to have fun

This is one reason I don't spend much time in the General forum. I spend most of my time in the Hunting and PCP sections.

Also I suspect the high-profile guys like Ted, Matt, Gerhard and Roelf amongst others, avoid the forums nearly entirely for the same reason(s).

As active as I try to be on the forums, there are some posts that simply take the fun out of it for me and I end up taking a short break. 

This forum, as most do, has negative aspects similar to social media that I'd just as soon do without.

This is one reason I don't spend much time in the General forum. I spend most of my time in the Hunting and PCP sections.

Also I suspect the high-profile guys like Ted, Matt, Gerhard and Roelf amongst others, avoid the forums nearly entirely for the same reason(s).

As active as I try to be on the forums, there are some posts that simply take the fun out of it for me and I end up taking a short break. 

This forum, as most do, has negative aspects similar to social media that I'd just as soon do without.

Totally Agree! I have been in different forums for about 20 years and is always the same, in time I have found that there is no point to "argue" is just "ego" battles, at the end we do what we want...but sometimes is fun to watch (basically how some have virtual "fights" over really nothing, spend time on it, like his/her life depend on it, taking everything way too personal...mind games!)