• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ted can you help a fellow airgunner out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"weatherby"
"Frank2533"How does your impact get 70-75 shots with the 34 grainers. My gun is being tuned by earnest. He has it at 845-850 Its getting 40 shots on the reg. Ernest just text me with shot count. I would love to know what you do to get such high shot count.
40 shots at that speed is very poor..
Few people know that overtensioning the hammer spring of any FX airgun can actually decrease speed and increase air consumption.
I have lowered the reg. pressure of my (originally 30 cal.) Impact with .25 barrel to 140 bar, and I get over 900fps and over 50 shots at that speed.
however, my gun shoots better at HST setting 4, valve control at WOT (4 lines) which gives me 873fps and even more shots.
I also experimented with 160 bar reg pressure, but the speeds actually were lower than at 140 bar. The hammer weight is the limiting factor at that reg. pressure, it seems to get difficulties to knock the valve open.

AFAIK Ted was indeed shooting it less hot, and I believe him saying that he gets 75 shots on a fill.
I've chatted with him for over an hour at the last IWA messe in Germany, and he is a true gentleman, honest and down to earth.
Weatherby,

your telling me your shooting 34g at 900 FPS 
and get 50 shots on a stock impact -- did Ted give you some of his moon shine.

come on I'm not that old to learn, tell me how you did that!!!

i tuned 15+ .25 impact, with pre-tuned max speed at most all of them max out on or near 865fps with 34g.

most here know if HSTA is tighten down more pass max speed you will loose shots and gun will be louder and speed will drop

75 shots is possible in stock form shootting 25g at 880-890fps

awaiting!!!

Guys, relax. My Impact is running on European, more specific, Belgian air, maybe that is the big difference :D
I already gave you the settings, you better try it for yourself. Reg. setting 140bar, valve endstop 4 rings on a stock 30 cal impact action with .25 barrel installed. (Power adjustment slider is tighter adjusted on a .30 Impact)
I'm running a CZ barrel with home made thimble, so no ST barrel. Shouldn't make a huge difference.
Speeds in different powersettings are respectively 192 206 223 244 262 267 272m/s with JSB king heavies.
Can't speak for anyone else's results, only for my own. I'm more than happy with it.

b.t.w. Ted's moonshine tastes delicious, can't get enough of it :)

Best group of yesterday (unfortunately, I'm not going to make a video as proof, if you don't want to believe it, that's fine with me, then don't ;) )
I mod, tweak and shoot purely for fun, and just wanted to share my personal results.

"sniperlabyo"there you go, a none stock impact comparing it 2 a stock impact.
all Good!
Cheers E, maybe the stock TP size is the limiting factor here. TP of my barrel is approximately 5x7mm.
I know that when I shot it stock .30 form at max setting (reg. at 150bar) with .25 barrel, it made a lot of noise. When I dialed down the hst adjuster, the noise was gone, and my poi climbed about 5cm at 100m. (Higher speed than at max. setting)
Hence why I reduced my reg. pressure from 150 to 140 bar, while leaving the hst slider in it's stock .30 cal setting. When I tried 160 bar I got even lower speeds.
It got a lot more efficient after doing this. Now it shoots magnificent, just the way I like it.:)

"John_in_Ma"Have you been inside your gun to play with plenum volume, valve design, spring rates, lock time and so on? If you think Ted is going to give you every bit of info on what he did to get a consistent shot count you are out of your mind. Remember friend that because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
Obviously, he is not alone. Earnest would go along with him and Most of us believe Earnest. 

"weatherby"
all Good!
Cheers E, maybe the stock TP size is the limiting factor here. TP of my barrel is approximately 5x7mm.
I know that when I shot it stock .30 form at max setting (reg. at 150bar) with .25 barrel, it made a lot of noise. When I dialed down the hst adjuster, the noise was gone, and my poi climbed about 5cm at 100m. (Higher speed than at max. setting)
Hence why I reduced my reg. pressure from 150 to 140 bar, while leaving the hst slider in it's stock .30 cal setting. When I tried 160 bar I got even lower speeds.
It got a lot more efficient after doing this. Now it shoots magnificent, just the way I like it.:)
It's easy to make a video proving your shot counts. Thank you in advance for letting us know magic.

"weatherby"
all Good!

It's easy to make a video proving your shot counts. Thank you in advance for letting us know magic.

Well to start he claims 70-75 shots in his video on how he won extreme benchrest. Second 56 ft lbs is 860 Fps with 34 grainers. 64 shots at that power setting cant be done. My gun tuned by ernest rowe the best tuner around shoots 845 to 850 with around 45 shots. If his information was correct i would be getting somewhere around 70 to 75 shots. Clealry cant be done. If theres anybody that would know it would be ernest. Im pretty sure his berral he uses is longer than stock. Thats the only way it would make since.

So 96 divided by 2 is 48. But then he says when he starts shooting that he shoots 16 shots then changes to his other tank thats filled to 250 bar. From there he finishes off his 96 shots. And if yout do the math that would be 80 shots on his last tank. Lol thanks for bringing this up that makes even less since than his claim of 70 to 75 shots. Unless he just fills his gun up again towards the end of his 96 shots.

Hi Frank, he didn't say that. As he said at the end he was doing anothers 32 shots groups so that explain why the tank was with just 16 shots left in my opinion. It's all suppositions of course, but i think it's more likely that those shots were shot with both tanks, i mean, 96 shots isn't a random number, if he was able to shot even more he would shot 100 for a more atractive number. And sorry for the math b.t.w, it seems that something failed in my brain for a moment haha
Cheers

This thread reminds me of when I would fish some bigger fishing tournaments and before we came in to the weight in with a big bad of fish we could change all the lures to something we were not using.(I'm sure some of the smart ol' boys knew we could have put all of our rods in the rod box if we wanted too)
I don't care how many shots Ted gets in a fill up and I'm sure there are many things going on in Ted's rifle that he is not going to tell us about. But it is a puzzle that many many of the other shooters would like to know. If I was Ted I would put out some misdirection to let the other shooters worry about things that don't really matter. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.