Teach Them Young

Ozark

Mar 31, 2019
MO
My dad and grandpa taught me gun safety and how to properly shoot a rifle when I was about 5. I would go hunting with one of them every year for either Whitetail Deer or Squirrel. When I was about 8 my grandpa gave me his old Ithica Single Shot Lever Action .22lr rifle and taught me how to use iron sights.

I remember back when I was about 9 when my dad would hand me a handful of .22lr rounds, grab my single shot lever action Ithica Rifle out of the safe, and tell me to go out and hunt squirrels on the backside if the farm for the day while he worked on a project vehicle. This became the norm on a day that I didn't have school to attend or chores to get done. I remember thinking I was the youngest of my friends to have the opportunity to go out on my own and hunt with a firearm without supervision which was a nice bit of freedom to have!

Fast forward to present day. I am now 32 years old and have a daughter of my own that just turned 4 this fall. She is always outside with me when I am either working around our property or shooting one of my airguns. I patiently waited for her to ask when she could learn how to shoot or become interested in having her own rifle to shoot. So for her 4th Birthday I surprised her with an Artemis PP750 kitted with a Red-Dot and a DonnyFL. She was so excited to have her own rifle! We are working the importance of respecting the rifle and general safety guidelines. I learned that teaching a girl how to shoot is a lot easier than teaching a boy haha. Boys are more of a pull the trigger and listen to the instructions afterwards!

After our first few shootings lessons I have learned that the Red-Dot is a bit complicating for her to understand how to use at her age so I swapped it out with a laser so she can focus on trigger pull and keeping the rifle on target (which works better as I can see exactly where she is aiming at all times). All in all she enjoys shooting and hopefully I'll have a Squirrel hunting buddy in the near future!

(Some might think 4 years old is too young for backyard shooting. I believe it all depends on the child's maturity and willingness to learn)

Proud to have the opportunity to pass on my knowledge that I have gained over the years to my daughter. I hope all you dads out there are doing the same!

Screenshot_20221201-201311_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-201327_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-201339_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-202240_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
My dad and grandpa taught me gun safety and how to properly shoot a rifle when I was about 5. I would go hunting with one of them every year for either Whitetail Deer or Squirrel. When I was about 8 my grandpa gave me his old Ithica Single Shot Lever Action .22lr rifle and taught me how to use iron sights.

I remember back when I was about 9 when my dad would hand me a handful of .22lr rounds, grab my single shot lever action Ithica Rifle out of the safe, and tell me to go out and hunt squirrels on the backside if the farm for the day while he worked on a project vehicle. This became the norm on a day that I didn't have school to attend or chores to get done. I remember thinking I was the youngest of my friends to have the opportunity to go out on my own and hunt with a firearm without supervision which was a nice bit of freedom to have!

Fast forward to present day. I am now 32 years old and have a daughter of my own that just turned 4 this fall. She is always outside with me when I am either working around our property or shooting one of my airguns. I patiently waited for her to ask when she could learn how to shoot or become interested in having her own rifle to shoot. So for her 4th Birthday I surprised her with an Artemis PP750 kitted with a Red-Dot and a DonnyFL. She was so excited to have her own rifle! We are working the importance of respecting the rifle and general safety guidelines. I learned that teaching a girl how to shoot is a lot easier than teaching a boy haha. Boys are more of a pull the trigger and listen to the instructions afterwards!

After our first few shootings lessons I have learned that the Red-Dot is a bit complicating for her to understand how to use at her age so I swapped it out with a laser so she can focus for one trigger pull and keeping the rifle on target (which works better as I can see exactly where she is aiming at all times). All in all she enjoys shooting and hopefully I'll have a Squirrel hunting buddy in the near future!

(Some might think 4 years old is too young for backyard shooting. I believe it all depends on the child's maturity and willingness to learn)

Proud to have the opportunity to pass on my knowledge that I have gained over the years to my daughter. I hope all you dads out there are doing the same!

View attachment 310165

View attachment 310166

View attachment 310167

View attachment 310169
Excellent! Way better than teaching kids how to play a Gameboy.

So dope!!

I got my first BB gun a Tokyo Marui aisoft ordered online at 16. Also a break-barrel Winchester 1000fps .177 that I shoot phone books inside my room. I learned about gun safety after almost shooting out my eyeball.

At 20 years and 11months I called my local fun store to inquire about getting my first pb. I’d be deep in the hobby months at a time and then be dormant for a couple years on and off when ammo prices surge or I get frustrated with CA laws.

I’m now about 35 now as well, got my own house with a little yard with squirrels. Just learned about bug spraying and tree trimming and other annual home maintenance. And just got into PCP this year. Have 3 kids 4,2, and newborn. The oldest girl doesn’t like loud noises. The middle boy stands next to me while I shoot.

They’re still too young so I gave away my 177 Buck mark to my friends 10 year old son, handed it to him on their front porch with his dad and grampa present.

The closet thing I ever had to a shooting mentor was a random dude at the range who insisted I shoot a couple rounds from his 50cal deagle.

My father never taught me nothing

but I learned a lot from him.

I just recently got a pp750 as well, they’re great!

I think it is great to teach kids to shoot. I have 6 kids from 1 to 12 years old. One thing I will say is most if not all things (as far as the way it is to teach them) are an individual thing not a boy or girl way. I have 3 girls and 3 boys and they are all unique. I also teach archery at church camp and there again they all proceed in their own unique ways, I definitely would not say it is easier to teach one or the other. You just have a good child and should be proud of that, and it looks like you are.