Tax Season… Time for an FX?

Hi all, new member here and first post!

So it’s tax season.. which means I’m looking for ways to burn some dough lol. I got my first pcp a little over a year ago, an AEA .22, that I use for pesting squirrels on our property. Now, I kind of want to get something to deal with the coyotes. I was thinking an FX either the impact or the panthera in .30. Really just like the looks and form factor of the panthera over the impact but I’m sure most people will advise going with the impact? What do you guys think? Also, as this will inevitably be nicer than my AEA I’m sure I’ll want to use it for squirrels too, is .30 the right choice?

@airprsr i haven’t done a ton of research on the impact yet but, I have seen people mention you need to upgrade them out of the box? Do you need to do anything to them before shooting slugs?

What advantages do the uragun and Vulcan have that make them a better option than the impact?
(Disclaimer)Ive never owned an impact, I have a maverick. The main need to upgrade is perhaps a barrel tensioner. Both uragun 2 and the vulcan 3 are very good guns capable of good power and excellent accuracy while being more durable and sturdy built than fx.

30 cal slug gun? Vulcan 3 or Skout Epoch would be my choice. For coyotes, my first choice would be a AAA slayer in 308, but that's way too much for squirrels. In regards to price, the Impact will quickly push towards $2900 when you add the backbone and other saber tactical or K & L stuff. With the Vulcan 3, the 306 barrel likes bigger diameter slugs - like AVS, which work real nice. But cost a bit more than Neilsen or Zans.

Reactions: Tebonr
30 cal slug gun? Vulcan 3 or Skout Epoch would be my choice. For coyotes, my first choice would be a AAA slayer in 308, but that's way too much for squirrels. In regards to price, the Impact will quickly push towards $2900 when you add the backbone and other saber tactical or K & L stuff. With the Vulcan 3, the 306 barrel likes bigger diameter slugs - like AVS, which work real nice. But cost a bit more than Neilsen or Zans.
That’s something I thought about when considering between the panthera and the impact. I’ve heard you need to upgrade the impact and it seems the panthera may not need as much and already starts at a slightly lower price point. So, if that ends up being true, I might try to use that as validation to go the panthera even if most people suggest the impact 😂.But that being said I don’t really need a “long range” gun. I’m just shooting in our backyard. We have 6 acres and from where I usually shoot, my shots are 30-70yds, with most of those being probably about 50yds.

I have a ,25 m3 and a ,22 panthera. M3 with pellets was insanely fun. Something like 120-140 shots per fill. Laser accurate. It was just fun to shoot.

I started chasing slug groups for more knock down power. It's fun still... But in a different way. Setimes I wish I would have left it alone! Hard to argue with just sitting down and shooting that many shots so accurately and never filling up.

Panthera I haven't had as much time from. She is a bad unit though. Makes a bunch of power. Looks menacing. The ergonomics are 1000x what the impact is (seriously.. people bitch about this and that on the impact. None of that bothers me. The ergonomics out of the box are the worst thing about it. If your a small build you will fit the gun better).

And just want to say... my impact has been 100% reliable. Whatever that's worth.

Btw... I think .25 is the best caliber. Great middle ground of power and efficiency. .30 is getting to be where I feel like I have to fill up the gun too much (back to the slug thing... I like to shoot more and fill less se days lol)

I have a ,25 m3 and a ,22 panthera. M3 with pellets was insanely fun. Something like 120-140 shots per fill. Laser accurate. It was just fun to shoot.

I started chasing slug groups for more knock down power. It's fun still... But in a different way. Setimes I wish I would have left it alone! Hard to argue with just sitting down and shooting that many shots so accurately and never filling up.

Panthera I haven't had as much time from. She is a bad unit though. Makes a bunch of power. Looks menacing. The ergonomics are 1000x what the impact is (seriously.. people bitch about this and that on the impact. None of that bothers me. The ergonomics out of the box are the worst thing about it. If your a small build you will fit the gun better).

And just want to say... my impact has been 100% reliable. Whatever that's worth.

Btw... I think .25 is the best caliber. Great middle ground of power and efficiency. .30 is getting to be where I feel like I have to fill up the gun too much (back to the slug thing... I like to shoot more and fill less se days lol)
I probably don’t need slugs but so far I’ve enjoyed them, so I keep using them. So, figure that’s what I will go with on the new gun too.

The panthera ergonomics are appealing to me for sure. The bullpups seem kind of funky to me but everyone seems to love them so I just figure I’ll get over it. But I’m definitely used to a more traditional style rifle and would prefer that.

As for shot count, I’m not too concerned about it. With my AEA shooting slugs I usually fill up after 2 12rnd mags. But most days I don’t even end up taking that many shots. Just some quick fun pesting in the afternoon.

You think .25 would be fine for coyotes though?

Why do you think you need .30 and slugs ? Air gunners have been killing yotes for years before slugs or .30 air came on the stage .
I would recommend .25 if you have a lot of yotes . Are yotes a daily problem ? .25 and ability to change FPE (external knob)
ALSO think about the noise of the gun . .30 and 90FPE is loud

Unless you want to shoot heavy slugs there is no need to upgrade the Impact or Maverick platform. The fact that there is a ton of after market products for the Impact is not an indication of a need but of the flexibility of the gun and its capabilities.
I had a Maverick that I chased heavy slugs going fast with. All it took was a different weight hammer and a slug liner. My current Maverick is bone stock as is my M3 that I shoot lighter (sub 28 gr.) slugs with.
If I was going 30 cal I would look long and hard at the Panthera. You say you want it for coyotes and such so shot count is not a large issue in that application. It appears to generate a lot of power and for medium game I want FPE and accuracy which it seems to deliver.

Last edited:
Some peeps suggest the Impact is not reliable, I have a Mk2, (2) Mk2 PPs and a M3. All have been updated and modified by myself, all have been 100% reliable. I shoot 1-3 times a week, btw the 4 Impacts, my shot count is over 60k. Other than a few breech orings, and a couple regulator cleanings, my FX guns have been perfect.