Tasty black squirrels tonight!

Cooked up 2 black squirrels tonight in the frying pan for about 20 minutes or so. Good amount of this sweet baby rays and this smoking rub. I had the cover on for most of it with oil. At the end took the cover off and boiled it down pretty far. These turned out very good. The back straps are my favorite. Recommend this concoction.

IMG_0995.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_0996.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg

Must surely been cooking wrong on my first few squirrel menu. Tasted just okay but like chewing on a rubber band!
You may want to try not frying too long, then steaming them for about 2+ hours. I put them in a small roasting pan on a wire rack fill bottom with water up to the rack and 300deg oven for 2 hours or more. Makes the meat fall off the bone tender. No rubber band feeling.

Reactions: Barn Owl
Cooked up 2 black squirrels tonight in the frying pan for about 20 minutes or so. Good amount of this sweet baby rays and this smoking rub. I had the cover on for most of it with oil. At the end took the cover off and boiled it down pretty far. These turned out very good. The back straps are my favorite. Recommend this concoction.

View attachment 432241

View attachment 432242

View attachment 432243

View attachment 432244

View attachment 432245
Wow they really are black Squirrels! Never seen any like that before. I've got a Grey in the freezer waiting till I bag another to make a meal. You've given me ideas of how to to make the most of it.

Reactions: TracyR
Wow they really are black Squirrels! Never seen any like that before. I've got a Grey in the freezer waiting till I bag another to make a meal. You've given me ideas of how to to make the most of it.

I have a lot of these around me. They seem more common than the red squirrels. Which is good because the black ones taste better anyhow. The greys I only see occasionally and they always escape me.

View attachment 432241

View attachment 432242

View attachment 432243

View attachment 432244

View attachment 432245
That’s a great meal

Reactions: TracyR
Must surely been cooking wrong on my first few squirrel menu. Tasted just okay but like chewing on a rubber band!
This may be just the quickie version of Bam86's suggestion, but may I suggest to salt and pressure cook them briefly in an inch of water, at least until the cooker comes up to pressure and starts "tiss-tiss-tissing"? That insures the meat and any contamination problems are cooked (!), and puffs it tenderly from the bone. Then it can go into whatever recipe you have, without having to cook it so long in that recipe. Taste the pressure-cooker water to see if you want to include it in later steps; from something like squirrel it may taste good, but from other game you may prefer to dump it, like from possum or rat, bleagh.

Key is to let the meat age for a few days at least in the fridge. I quarter them then seal up the bits in a ziplock bag in the fridge for up to a week. Same thing needs to happen for all meat, even beef, but especially game animals. It needs to be aged a bit to get the rigor out.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Key is to let the meat age for a few days at least in the fridge. I quarter them then seal up the bits in a ziplock bag in the fridge for up to a week. Same thing needs to happen for all meat, even beef, but especially game animals. It needs to be aged a bit to get the rigor out.
I agree 100%. I age all my squirrels(small game) for a week before eating or freezing.
I also slow cook all squirrels so they end up like pulled pork.
I have yet to try the batter fried recipes but I'm curious.

Reactions: Spartan and L.Leon
I agree 100%. I age all my squirrels(small game) for a week before eating or freezing.
I also slow cook all squirrels so they end up like pulled pork.
I have yet to try the batter fried recipes but I'm curious.
Would love an invite to partake and would contribute some squirrels to the feast. Just a former city old boy looking to be schooled…🤓

Reactions: AmosBurton