• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Tastiest Tree Rats

The downside of having tree rats in your avocado tree is that they have a very frustrating habit of taking a bite or two out of everything on the tree.

The upside? Avocado fed squirrel is fat and VERY tasty. I'm a big fan of squirrel carnitas tacos. -- Naturally, served with fresh guacamole. :)

1669361823599.png

Nice, they like to do the same in the Banana tree's and there is going to be fewer in WPB this winter. Ive read the Iguana Tacos are good?

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
@Miami Airgunner I keep reading posts where you mention squirrel tacos. 😋💦How about blessing us with that recipe kind sir?
Sure!

Clean em, and soak in salt water for a day or two, then bag them up in a big Ziploc with butter and your favorite spices, last time I went with a bay leaf, a clove of garlic, a jalapeno and some salt, and that was a nice combo, but have done various combos, all have been fine.

Sous vide that until they're fall apart tender, remove meat from bones, then fry in a pan in just a little oil (though, the meat is probably oily enough, I tend to want to have some hot grease to toss them in... )

Once it's dried up a bit, firmer and browned a little, you have the most amazing taco meat.

Absolutely wait to salt until done, or it can go salty very easy.

Suggest topping tacos with guacamole, and some pickled onions/radish, with cilantro on top.

This recipe is not only delicious, but it's dead useful, because 2-3 squirrels are enough for a fairly good sized meal, assuming you also serve some mexican rice or some refried beans with it. So, perfect for those days when you only bag a few, and don't have enough for other dishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezana4CE