• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Target Shooting - Reading the Mirage:

It 100% applies if you have mirage to read, very little to no mirage to read on cold days. the super fancy scopes have narrow depth of field so to can focus in smaller increments between you and the target so you can read the mirage better. It can tell you what the wind is doing between you and the target, wind flag at target only tells you what’s going on at target. When it comes to wind you want as many data points as possible. Most scopes now and days should be able to focus in 5-10 yard increments out to 100 yards. However flags every 10 yards would be MUCH easier to read since you don’t have to mess with the parallax wheel, pretty sure most won’t want to touch the parallax wheel once you get it dialed.

Edit: mirage is usually for long range spotter to read for the shooter, not sure it’s useful for bench rest.

Last edited:
Being able to read the mirage is essential to accurate shooting. However there are times when the wind and mirage are just the opposite of each other. Then you really need to pay close attention to your wind flags, be patient and wait till your condition prevails before you pull the trigger. If conditions change go to your sighter to make any corrections needed. Takes a lot of experience to get the doping right.

Reactions: nomojo65
Thought I’d weigh in on this one, “my opinion only” wind is your friend! I shoot 25m, 50yd over wet grass at 8am start of the matches, Sun up and getting hot.
Pellets are extremely sensitive to vertical deflection, I read mirage actually on the target 25m fairly easy to do.
Mirage wants you to shoot where you “Think” the bull is! If you take the time to study the bull before you start pulling the trigger you be glad you did. You can see the boil snap with just a very slight breeze if you pay attention.
Also want to add with a good quality high power scope you will see mirage with out dancing all over the parallel knob.
USE FLAGS!

Very hard to see the mirage thru the rifle scope since it is focused on the target. The way we did it when shooting black powder silhouette was for the spotter to focus his scope at a shorter distance hopefully with a dark/black back ground to pick up the mirage. I much rather read the mirage because it reacts faster than a wind flag.

No good way to see mirage thru your scope really if you do it isn't a good day to shoot the mirage will actually move/bend the image. Rule of thumb if the mirage goes vertical do not shoot.