Target shooting only...which rifle?

I've been contemplating PCP, but not sure I'm ready to invest in a tank and/or compressor on top of a gun
I only target shoot, and only with 22lr. But with 22lr being ~10 cents per round nowadays, I was thinking continuing target shooting but with an air gun (25 yards or 50 yards)
What would be a good air gun in the $200/$250 price range to have fun at the shooting range, as accurate as possible of course
What would be the best caliber? I've read several time that 0.177 was best for target shooting

Thanks
Depends on what you are happy with. Any rifle I own must print at least a one hole group at 35 yards or I sell it, give it away or put it in the attic. As for a springer I would save a few more dollars and get an HW95. It will not disappoint.
As for PCP rifles, lots of choices, however a good one with a good trigger is going to give you heart failure with what it costs. Also to add to this is the need for all the support gear such as air tanks, compressors etc, etc.

As for pellet costs versus 22 rimfire, recently good pellets are now as expensive if not more so in some cases than ordinary 22 rimfire. One of my favorite pellets is now 14 cents a shot. Available under another name, from Krale, however been out of stock for a year, if I ever see them again I will buy all that they have. Ordinary JSB or Air Arms at the moment are still OK, however they just jumped up three bucks a tin also. They now average 4.5 cents a shot.

Kit

200$ and 50y. A sub $200 hatsan 95 is capable of that.. heck ithas done 100y with walmart cphp. In .22. And thats with factory open sights no optics or peeps a 50 and a 100y box stock.

My gamo whisper fusion mach 1 .22 is a bit better at $225.

hatsan95,50y.jpg

hatsan95,cphp,100y,opensight.jpg

Oh, hetes a 100y hatsan 95 with crosman parahans .22 opensight

Ots you get a good gun at any price and then be able to shoot one .

Attachments

• hatsan95,prahanas,100,yards-open sight.jpg
    hatsan95,prahanas,100,yards-open sight.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If you are stuck shooting at one of the state ranges, you lose most of the advantages of an airgun. Realistically, you can buy an entire case of .22lr ammo for the cost of an inexpensive airgun and scope. Depending on how much shooting you plan to do, an airgun may not be a good fit for your situation.
I have numerous .22LR guns as well as centerfires. My problem is 50+miles to the nearest range where I have a membership, so only make it there 3-4 times a year. My pickup is diesel, and driving slow I can get 20mpg give or take a bit, so at $5.00/gal thats $25 in fuel with no consideration of oil and tire changes.

I have gotten a good pellet trap and have enough woods in the back of my yard that I can shoot out to 50 yards, so it's air rifles daily, spring air for me, no place to put a high presure pump, and no place nearby to get a tank recharged, plus I would rather spend that money on another springer, and pellets.

Reactions: drjjpdc78
I am sure others will have similar stories. There is a 50 yard .177 springer challenge in the challenges group that has been going on for a few months. IT will give you a sense of what guns are doing well.

Reactions: Zut and drjjpdc78