target optics for 10 meter pistol that magnifies

I use a 3-12 power Bug Buster on both my Weihrauch HW44 and my Atomic XR. Granted these are not long eye relief so NRA Bullseye style shooting is out. I shoot pistol off a bench. And I am 79.

3ACA186B-6F24-4114-9C30-C89F879FF972.jpeg

need advise for a optic that is small but magnifies the target , 77 year old eyes need help , i have a red dot but even on #1 the dot covers the 8.9.10 ring's. and no magnification . SO ,looking for suggestion's , i put this thread here because it is pistols .
What brand and model of...red dot ?
There are many. By your description, it sounds like you have a cheaper brand/model.

- A higher quality brand will have a 2moa dot. With the light intensity turned down, this should not, cover the center dot. Most red dot sights are not magnified

- Another "style" sight is a "prism" sight. Most of these also have a smaller center dot size and are 3 to 5 power magnified.
Look into the different Primary Arms, that's light and has a 3x magnification. I've got two that I use for target shooting. They use a "chevron", or upside down, open triangle. You use the "tip" of the triangle as the aim point. It's very sharp, so it will...not...cover your target.

Here's a 5x magnification, Primary Arms prism scope. It also uses a chevron as the aiming point.

I assume that you are shooting freehand (one hand) or offhand (two hands), not off of a bench ? So some big scope is not...preferable ?

Mike

Last edited:
Just a note on the prism scopes.
While they are actually...rifle scopes, they will also work just fine held out at arms distance, as on a pistol.

I have a 1x and two 3x Primary Arms scopes. The small ones (called the "Cyclops").
Yesterday when I posted my note above, I verified the "eye relief" worked out at arms length, as on a pistol, and it was fine. BUT, I did not check my 3x scopes.

I did that just now. While it still works, just fine, holding the 3x at arms distance, closes up the field of view a little, so you see less surrounding area. BUT, you can still see the full retecal, and target to a working view.
Actually, that "may" help, creating less distraction of stuff...around the target.

Mike

I have an Ultra dot 30mm , old , maybe 12 years . tinted so it is darker, I will have to go look at new ones . Thanks for your answer i like the 5 x .

The dot size in that first gen Ultra Dot is probably 4 MOA. If you got a 2 MOA red dot sight as suggested already, you would be able to see more of the target. But if magnification is allowed in any events you participate in, a fixed or variable pistol scope or a fixed power prism optic would allow better target to dot / reticle alignment than a 1x red dot.

-------------------------

I have never looked through any prism optics made for guns before. Looks like a good idea to make a shorter optic. I wonder if anyone made optical sights with prisms in them in the past? The technology has been around for a very long time and has been used in spotting scopes and binoculars for many decades.

You might want to try a Monstrum prism optic from Amazon for $80 - $110 before dropping $300+ on a Primary Arms or Vortex to give you a rough idea as to how the look. If you don't like it and don't mount it, you can send it beck. An article on Pew Pew Tactical that talks about those three brands.

From my reading, it appears that they are essentially the same as a regular fixed power scope (As already mentioned in at least one post above.) but with an added prism to shorten the overall physical length of the optical path, allowing reduction of the optic overall length. Similar to how more compact roof prism binoculars are built. They could take them to the next level and add a variable power eyepiece magnifier like what is on the March 40-60x EP Zoom scope. You could also add a BulzEyePro magnifier for when / if you needed 30-50% more magnification.

Some early binoculars that didn't use prisms. The biggest ones are almost 30 inches long.

1676823000178.png

Last edited:
need advise for a optic that is small but magnifies the target , 77 year old eyes need help , i have a red dot but even on #1 the dot covers the 8.9.10 ring's. and no magnification . SO ,looking for suggestion's , i put this thread here because it is pistols .
Modified a cheapo red dot and put in a archery 8x magnifier lens and this is the result, its kind a hard to get it on camera but it helps, if i were to do it again, I'll get a red dot that has a side cover as reflection and glare from the sides is bad. Eye relief is not an issue, in fact very good at any distance, the farther the red dot the magnified image is bigger, not overly big but just right.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Another thing you might look at is talking with your optometrist. There are specific glasses for shooting that focus on the sights. Granted they are a bit pricey, but they will work with all of your pistols. They don't break the "no magnification" rule, either.

You might also just need a new prescription or glasses.

It all depends on the type of shooting you are doing. Whether just for relaxation or competition.