Target cams ?

I don't hunt but shooting 100 M rings only, this year, and hoping to jump to a next up distance for next season. Looking for a decent target cam.

I would like to avoid attaching any action cam or a cellphone to my 10-50x60 rifle scope , but I have two spotting scopes sitting in a locker, also some wifi or BT target cams tickled my interest. I saw one of those with large TV screens at my gunclub ppl shooting 400 M + long range precision rifles.

A tablet running on android would be good enough screen size for my use and if I could make one DIY camera system that would be just a perfect winter project. And look like up in Ontario this winter will be looong.

I am not trained for work with electronics but as a user I like toys.

Anybody have experience to share?

I used these components for my nightvision set up, a few years back, and it werqed great. It would also werq for a remote camera set up if I could ever find the stinking transmitter. I likely put it somehwhere it would be safe and I would remember where it was. ;^)

I decided to simplify and removed the wireless transmitter and went back to a wired system.

This is a picture I took of the screen of the DVR. The video should be a bit better as it was taken with the night vision camera with a resolution of 640x480. So very similar but not exactly the same as in the advertisement. My camera was an IR unit and this was taken in 940nm IR light in the pitch black basement, that is why it is black and white.

Like you I was looking into a regular remote camera system and found this. It is about half the price of what I did years back and should be comparable in video quality.

Alibaba says this is good for 100 meters.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2-4Ghz-Wireless-mini-sewer-Camera_60090138066.html

244B9D66-6511-4638-B5B5-D1494BEECFE2.1638230170.jpeg
29668DBE-94BF-495E-9AD6-40BDBB5B2A4F.1638230171.jpeg
49D77E81-DD2A-4939-8DD1-AF195EFB7E67.1638230172.png
I use the 12volt lead acid rechargeable batteries. One down range to power the camera and transmitter. The other at the bench to power the monitor and receiver. I’ll place the camera about 30’ in front of the target in a safe spot and zoom in. I have several decent spotting scopes that work when the conditions are good. When the sun is bright there is too much mirage to see bullet holes at 500 yards. That’s why I use the camera setup. There’s no guessing where your bullet holes are. Its just as clear as if you were standing in front of your target looking at it. The reason I run the camera off the 12volt battery (with an adjustable voltage regulator) is because it will run all day. If I were to use the camera battery it would only last a couple hours.

8CA1A88E-B494-43CE-A2CE-FEF74B08C4F8.1638231803.jpeg
Also played around with this small drone camera.It transmitted the image fine but without an adjustable zoom the camera would need to be placed about 10 inches in front of the target. Not practical. The transmitter is built into this camera with 40 channels. I think It was just over $20.00 shipped. I was hoping to leave it setup on a different yardage target and just switch channels on the receiving end to view. Not sure if there is any drone cameras with adjustable zoom available that would work.

I can see the POI at 100 M with my Falcon x50 actually I can zoom in to have a single ring on the paper, but for 200 M I would need this camera. Need it....or just want it?

10 inches from a paper would work for 100 meter distance but it would be just a too close call at 200.

I will ask my son he is into drones he have several sizes that requires a driver license :)

Back to cameras. Do I need one - NO, do I want one - Yes, I like toys too.

Since I am very active outdoors whenever the weather permits I am away biking, sailing, paddling, archery, airguns lately :)

Currently I have no action cam, my last one was a Sony for many years. To buy a new let say GoPro 10, doesn't have a lens to attach to the scope and work like a real scope cam. OK, there is a tactacam which kit looks very attempting. Can this tactacam work as an action cam as well?

Just trying to buy one camera which I can use in many other platforms, hobbies and sports...

I would just use any wifi CCTV camera ( 1080p ) that can be accessed by android phone or tablet or windows laptop, then put up camera + battery way out there at the target, and look at the phone / tablet to see the feed from the camera )

I could not be bothered with a very long wire.

There are also a range of wireless cameras / 2.4 - 5 GHZ transmitters intended for FPV flying, but these are most often paired / meant for use with a fairly low resolution ( SD ) analog camera, so i would prefer the 1080p, maybe even 1440p of a CCTV camera, the downside of Using FPV equipment is that is you also need to have a receiver for the signal and a LCD screen.

A + could be if you shoot very far, you can get FPV transmitters that can transmit pretty damn far, so mile long shooting big guns, should not be a issue. but for airgun ranges i think what ever a CCTV camera can pump out, maybe with a improved antenna on it, should be fine.

Streaming direct to the phone or tablet you probably already have,,,,, sound more easy to me, hell a windows laptop could be used too, and if you got a PTZ camera, you could remotely switch it between different targets, so you dont have to walk all the way down there when you have turned one target into Swiss cheese :)

you can most likely also "throw" a memory card in a CCTV camera and so record the entire session in the camera.