Target camera

I appreciate all the responses, but I'm pretty firm on what I want to do. Photography is one of my other hobbies/sidelines and I already have some nice higher end tripods to use. Buying a lens for my current cameras with a focal length long enough to do what I want would cost thousands, but there are loads of used super zoom cameras on ebay for less than $200.

I'm not interested in editing, splicing or inserting PiP into my videos. I want to set the camera on a tripod behind my bench start videoing and then zoom to the target and shoot. TC724 gave me the information I needed in his responses, so I think I'll be fine with a camera similar to his.

Ya, a camera and 40x zoom wifi and all aint bad .. a lot more all around use then just shooting targets..lol. just more use for your money . Its kind silly to use a scope cam on a trip..lol

Never found that b550 but a b500 camera. B500 os a older model .

Mr. Elcheapo like me did look at this while at it

KODAK PIXPRO AZ405

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/kodak-pixpro-az425-review

If just for on the bench shooting use maybe a cheaper alternative..

Kodak offers this line up to a x90 lens

Now im a bit more interested in going this route...🥴

Under 200$ , walkin walmart pick up, try it , dont like take back same day .

Wifi, 52x , no thrills, just use and abuse on your bench

Last edited:
With x40 zoom on digital? Try it and let us know how the pixelation goes ;)
I have a 100-300 Canon, received it brand new over a trade but never gave it my trust, there is it sitting in a box for years under a layer of dust. Maybe for a weekend I will try it at 100 meters to see how the rings looks like.
A few user reviews pictures around and some you tube vids . Looking pretty good , but ya it's not the 900$ p1000.

Maybe the guy that traded you had a lemon and passed it on .

Just for somthing to take target shot proof vids for a forum post and $200 for what it offers ?

I dont need a nikon p1000 at a $1000 for that in any way . Heck i dont need the 350$ nikon to do that to set on my benck and kick around the property..

We'll see maybe ill try one at x-mas time .

Not the exact setup the OP was looking for but this might serve as a data point. This first video was shot on a 300mm lens on a mft camera so the equivalent of a 600mm full frame lens. This is at a distance of 35 yards. There isn’t a clean conversion from 600mm focal length to x times magnification ( if fact if you ask for one on a photograph forum they will call you and idiot and tell you that’s the equivalent of asking how many miles in a gallon of milk.) but it’s roughly what I would consider 12x magnification. (Don’t tell any photographers I said that 😳)
This second one is just with a 2x digital crop to give you an idea of what roughly a 24x zoom might look like

for those interested the video is shot at 300 frames per second and then replayed at 24 frames per second so something like 12.5x slower than real life.

Not the exact setup the OP was looking for but this might serve as a data point. This first video was shot on a 300mm lens on a mft camera so the equivalent of a 600mm full frame lens. This is at a distance of 35 yards. There isn’t a clean conversion from 600mm focal length to x times magnification ( if fact if you ask for one on a photograph forum they will call you and idiot and tell you that’s the equivalent of asking how many miles in a gallon of milk.) but it’s roughly what I would consider 12x magnification. (Don’t tell any photographers I said that 😳)
This second one is just with a 2x digital crop to give you an idea of what roughly a 24x zoom might look like

for those interested the video is shot at 300 frames per second and then replayed at 24 frames per second so something like 12.5x slower than real life.
I have a 150mm lens but my cameras are 1.6x crop factor. I gave it a try and it wasn't enough zoom. Unfortunately a 300mm lens would be cost prohibitive for me and I'm not sure it would be enough with my sensors. I do appreciate the input though. It's probably going to be a few more months before I can buy anything to test because I've had some other unexpected expenses pop up.

Reactions: Coxworkshop