Tap water vs distilled vs coolant for compressor?

I have the yong heng and just wanna know what should I use to avoid rust and getting the best cooling. I know most people are just running with tap/sink water and ice. Sure it would keep the compressor temp down but wouldnt it rust with all the materials in the tap? I've seen some folks tear their compressor down and inside the head is all corroded with white stuff. Wouldnt distilled water or coolant be the better choice? Would it benefit to use coolant over distilled? Distilled 1 gallon is $0.80 at wal mart vs coolant $10-15.

Good thought, wouldn't hurt anything to run either. The coolant could be stored for re use if it would work. My compressor gets very hot as I fill a very large c/f bottle (106 cu/ft). I definitely need ice to keep it in a good opperating temp range.

Are you using tap water? This is a photo someone using tap water. I was thinking maybe trying coolant to avoid this. 

1577779123_20338295105e0affb3a54430.11920758_20191230_235825.jpg

. I know our distilled water was ion neg and it would cut through metal and concrete in no time. That’s why we used soft water in all cooling applications. Maybe some chemists can jump in here, but soft water would be best in my experience.

Never heard of distilled water cut through metal. Then why do hatsan and air venturi recommend using distilled or coolant and not tap water. Wouldnt these big companies know about it?

Are you using tap water? This is a photo someone using tap water. I was thinking maybe trying coolant to avoid this.

I have been feeding water to my Yong Heng directly from the tap since day one. Yes, I do get those calcium deposits inside the water jacket. I did not switch to distill water because I want to avoid the trouble of setting up the bucket. My solution is to pour vinegar into the water jacket regularly to remove those deposits. 

. I know our distilled water was ion neg and it would cut through metal and concrete in no time. That’s why we used soft water in all cooling applications. Maybe some chemists can jump in here, but soft water would be best in my experience.

Never heard of distilled water cut through metal. Then why do hatsan and air venturi recommend using distilled or coolant and not tap water. Wouldnt these big companies know about it?

This was my experience with the water distilled at my employment something to do with steam was neg ion. The guy from GE water did all the testing for us and is what he told me could of been specific to our process though. But distilled water is a lot cleaner than that of tap there for no deposits. Also stainless steal would render the Ion situation mute. GE guy explained it corrodes in a similar way as acid. Slowly robbing the steel of what the water was deficient in. Ph was also low like 3.8-4.9 

Destilled water is just water, without anything else ergo cero electric conductivity. Tap water has minerals and conductivity.

Destilled water has neutral ph but since it has no minerals, it is ph unstable and and in normal conditions absorb CO2 from the air ( due the h-oh relation and o-c-o), and with that it becomes acidic (carbonic acid), acidic water is not good for any metal. Easy fix, 1 spoon of baking soda for every gallon of destilled water.

ever thought about adding some Red Line Water Wetter or some like it

been running Water Wetter in my motorcycles for 30 years great stuff

That's what I run in mine. I keep a sealed bucket of distilled water. I don't even need to add ice packs topping off my 9 litre tank. Temp stays below 60 degrees

Easy fix, 1 spoon of baking soda for every gallon of destilled water.

Thanks for the tip! I've got some ph strips, so I'll give it a check later 🙂

Distilled water with Water Wetter unless you're in an area or garage that will freeze, then use a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water. Never put anything but distilled water in any radiator or heat exchanger . Water Wetter lubricates and helps the heat transfer ability of water. Water or distilled water, by itself, transfers heat better than anti-freeze but has no lubrication or anti-corrosion properties in it. That's what Water Wetter does. 

I leave mine out in an unheated shop so I decided to use Dexcool 50/50. I have a .50cal plastic ammo box with about 1.5 gallons of coolant. The pump is inside the box and plumbed through the lid. This YH compressor + Tuxing filter is a little over a year old now and has done several hundred rifle refills and is still running great. The Husky full synthetic oil is as clear as the day I put it in there after a 1 hr runtime on the break-in oil.

Hello fellow airgunners! I have my Yong Heng on the way. Will be here 1/10/20. I'm currently running my airgun operations out of an unheated garage. It does have a wood stove in it so when I do go out there and work on guns and shoot at the indoor range I have I build a fire and bring the room up to a comfortable temperature. This being the case, I feel I should subscribe to the anti-freeze and distilled water method cooling my Yong Heng. So just to clarify, the antifreeze / coolant should take care of the distilled water wanting to rob the minerals from the metal due to the deficiency from the process of being distilled? I live in Michigan where we encounter freezing temperatures, snow and ice hence my interest in the coolant / distilled water interest... I appreciate all input.👊😎

I keep my yong heng in a heated shop and have done nothing special at all. I get water from the spigot and have had no problems. I figure the compressor will blow before water deposits become an issue. I bought two initially thinking they wouldn't last very long. Got them both for around 400 US. I'm still chugging along with my first one for almost a year and thats with me filling my buddies bottles as well. I have been very impressed with this cheap Chinese compressor. 

I've always used distilled water and antifreeze in my cars and think that the cooling system on my Air Venturi was similar enough to do the same.

I figure that the antifreeze people have a long history of knowing what additives are needed to protect a cooling system and I am comfortable with that. That being said, I have had the compressor for 2 1/2 years, check it regularly and all looks good.

Having looked numerous compressors I would bet that they are all made in the same Chinese factory and share many common parts. Guess that any issues and failures fixed in one model indirectly benefit all the other compressors using that part. Works for me!

Reactions: Vermin Slayer
I've always used distilled water and antifreeze in my cars and think that the cooling system on my Air Venturi was similar enough to do the same.

I figure that the antifreeze people have a long history of knowing what additives are needed to protect a cooling system and I am comfortable with that. That being said, I have had the compressor for 2 1/2 years, check it regularly and all looks good.

Having looked numerous compressors I would bet that they are all made in the same Chinese factory and share many common parts. Guess that any issues and failures fixed in one model indirectly benefit all the other compressors using that part. Works for me!

Well said.....👍🏼