I didn’t see anything anywhere that did a direct comparison between these. Maybe I’m just not searching for it right and I missed it. Anyways here’s my story.

I’ve had my .22 cal Crosman 2400KT for awhile now and I wanted it to be a little bite quieter. I don’t consider my 2400KT to be loud per say, but it’s probably loud enough that it could draw some unwanted attention my way when I’m out shooting in the backyard even though it hasn’t thus far. And even though it’s legal to shoot air guns in my backyard where I live, I‘d still prefer my shooting activities to remain unnoticed as much as possible to avoid any potential misunderstandings. So it came down to two choices and I was on the fence on whether to buy a Donnyfl Tanto or a 6.5” TKO.

I ultimately decided I’d get the .25 cal Donnyfl Tanto. I heard that it was recommend to get one caliber size larger so that is why I got the .25 caliber. I also own a Prod and I got the Prod adapter too and thought I’d also try the Tanto out on the Prod for a kind of two for one thing. I already have a Tim Hill LDC on the Prod that I bought when I bought the Prod and it works just fine and I’m perfectly happy with it and it's pretty dang quiet but I’ve been so curious about all the Donnyfl stuff for long time now and finally decided to try one out.

As so many others have said I received quick responses from Donnylf when I placed the order and the Tanto shipped and arrived in short order. The Tanto is very nice and well made. Other than the Tim Hill moderator I didn’t have anything else to compare it to though when I got it. So, I don’t have any issues with any of that. But I have to say that I was a disappointed, taken aback actually, in what the Tanto did for my humble little 2400KT. It was certainly quieter with the Tanto installed than without it but not nearly as quiet as I was expecting it to be I guess, based on all the raving reviews and “mouse fart quiet” comments I’ve read so much about on Donnyfl moderators from so many others who have them.

I shot the Tanto for a few weeks and just couldn't help but think that my 2400KT could actually be even quieter. So, I decided I get the TKO also, curious if there would be any difference at all and hoping I wasn’t just paying an additional $50 to get basically the same results. Wow! Stocked! Night and day differences. Happy I bought the TKO. My 2400KT is very quiet with the TKO compared to the Tanto. The TKO meet all my expectations, dare I say exceeded them, compared to what I got from the Tanto. I had such high hopes for the Tanto so this is a bite of a letdown considering all the hipe I've read about on the Donnyfl stuff. I'm not trying to bash Donnyfl or the Tanto because i think they do make a quality product and it certainly did make my 2400KT quieter but I'm just saying my results where disappointing. Which just confuses me a bite. The Tanto is clearly bigger and certainly has more volume inside. My experience with and understanding of moderators is little, but I’ve always been under the impression that, generally speaking, the bigger the volume the better they did what they were meant to do. So, now that I’ve actually compared two side by side so to speak, and I’m just speculating, it has a lot more to do with the differences in the baffling systems inside them also. I know sound is a relative thing and very indicative of the surroundings of one’s environment. But there’s clearly a very noticeable difference even to my damaged hearing. As anyone else had the same experience? I could not find anything where someone compared a Tanto with a TKO but maybe I’m just not looking hard enough for it and I’ve missed it. not that it really matters so much now as I've already committed. 

I thought about downloading a decibel meter app t my phone to see what difference there is that I can measure with it. I know it wouldn’t be very scientific and it’ll be very subjective information but maybe it would give me some kind of idea what the actual difference is. To my ears it seems to be a lot though. I would say there was a much greater reduction in sound going from the Tanto to the TKO then there was going from no moderator to the Tanto. I just can't say how much. 

I haven’t tried the Tanto on the Prod yet. I'm curious what difference there will be compared to the Tim Hill LDC, which again I'm not unhappy with. If I can get a break from the wife and infant and toddler daughters for awhile I’ll hope to try it in a few days but I’m suspecting it’ll be similar results. Which is a real dummer to say the least ☹ . I really wanted to like the Tanto more than I do. 

Mod edit: moved to Other Parts, Accessories and Equipment forum

I almost forgot, you guys like to see pictures of these things. I know there’s nothing overly special about it, but here’s my humble little 2400KT with newly installed TKO. It’s just a super fun little 20 yard backyard plinker. Oh, and yes, I do have a Williams peep sight mounted there under the scope. I have the 3-9x32 BugBuster mounted in see through rings. With the factory muzzle break it works much better than you might imagine. For clearer unobstructed view with the peep sight it’s better to remove the scope caps. And interesting enough, I just discovered, the factory muzzle break is just about the same diameter as the TKO and the front post sight from the muzzle break fits the set screw hole on the TKO and it seems to also be long enough to serve as a set screw too. So, it would seem I can still utilize the peep sight even with the TKO installed. I do like to shoot with a scope and occasionally with a peep sight just for fun and I can still do both with the TKO installed! It works out much better than the Tanto would have anyhow. Which means happy silent plinking summer days for me 😊

1566078373_16115436415d5875a5068490.70615680_IMG_5070.JPG

Reactions: bf1956
Maybe different rifles make need different moderators. I have Tanto's on two different rifles and am delighted with both. In fact with my Wildcat, I was able to dispatch two ground squirrels back to back this week, as the first shot did not even scare the second away, from only 30 yards. Both the rifles I have them on are shrouded and are fairly quiet without the moderators, but definitely much quieter with the Tanto's.

Maybe different rifles make need different moderators. I have Tanto's on two different rifles and am delighted with both. In fact with my Wildcat, I was able to dispatch two ground squirrels back to back this week, as the first shot did not even scare the second away, from only 30 yards. Both the rifles I have them on are shrouded and are fairly quiet without the moderators, but definitely much quieter with the Tanto's.

Maybe. I'm certainly no expert. And obviously my 2400KT doesn't compare to anything like a Wildcat. The only other gun I own I can try it with is the Prod. I'm very hesitant to fault the Tanto or to say that it is no good. Because that's not what I'm saying at all and I hope that is understood. It was just so very surprising to me that there was such a big difference between the two I had to share my experience. Like I said the gun was defiantly quieter with the Tanto and certainly usable and I could have lived with it just fine. And it might not scare anything away either for all I know, not that I'm hunting or pesting with it. I just plink in the backyard with it. I just expected a little bite more. It's just so difficult for anyone to really understand what I'm saying because no one else can hear what I'm hearing. But when I installed the Tanto and shot it the first time it was kind of like, ohhh... that's it? Just not what I expected at all. Then I shot the TKO it was like, Yeah! Now that's the result I was expecting. Weird how these things work I guess

Moderators effectiveness will largely be influenced by their internal volume. The Tanto is 5” long. The TKO is 6”. The Koi is 7” long. 

I wonder what kind of results you would get if comparing the TKO to the KOI? 

I think the Tanto offers balance of good suppression and compactness.

You know, I was wondering the same thing about the Koi, with it being longer. I almost went with it but opted for the less expensive Tanto instead. I'm pretty happy with the TKO now so I don't know that I'll spring for a Koi just yet just to experiment with. My thought was the larger diameter of the Tanto would have more volume than the extra length of the thinner TKO so that's why I bought the Tanto to start with. I've also read others say that it's not always good to have a longer moderator where the pellet has more to interact with insides of it. I've not tried to figure what the volume differences between them ether so I really don't know how they compare. Maybe there's something to do with the lower velocity and air pressure of CO2 vs HPA? Probably a combination of everything. I don't know. They look like straight forward simple devises but apparently the engineering and science behind it is a lot more complicated. It's kind of interesting though 

Just what you wanted.

https://www.silentthunderordnance.com/blog

If you scroll down the page you will go thru a series of Blog articles and come to an LDC test. There is a chart in one of the articles that shows the specs of 12 LDC’s tested, including the TKO & Tanto, as well as 10 more.

The Tanto tested at 71.2 decibels , while the TKO came in at 81.6 decibels. Looks like the Tanto is a good bit larger, heavier, and quieter.

Neat site & lots of good articles and great info. For example, it looks like a TKO sized for 177/22 is as effective as the largest DonnyFL Emperor that is a little large for caliber. Interesting considering the huge size and weight differences. The Emperor has way more volume, length & weight, yet the Emperor tested at 81 decibels while the little TKO tested at 81.6 decibels.

that TKO looks nice and slim on the 2400KT. i have one on my 2260 and it's very quiet. i have a rocker1 moderator on my 2400KT and it is by far the quietest rifle i own. i have thought about installing the TKO on the 2400KT ust to see what it would do, but it's .177 and right now it's super accurate at 25 yards with H&N Finale Match 4.49s and i'm afraid if i mess with the moderators i'll screw something up.

i also made a short video of me shooting it at 46 yards. it now wears a 3-9X32 BugBuster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Sub6FS4cg

1566095427_19043228625d58b843c9f4c1.56249503_2400KT.jpg

Just what you wanted.

https://www.silentthunderordnance.com/blog

If you scroll down the page you will go thru a series of Blog articles and come to an LDC test. There is a chart in one of the articles that shows the specs of 12 LDC’s tested, including the TKO & Tanto, as well as 10 more.

The Tanto tested at 71.2 decibels , while the TKO came in at 81.6 decibels. Looks like the Tanto is a good bit larger, heavier, and quieter.

Neat site & lots of good articles and great info. For example, it looks like a TKO sized for 177/22 is as effective as the largest DonnyFL Emperor that is a little large for caliber. Interesting considering the huge size and weight differences. The Emperor has way more volume, length & weight, yet the Emperor tested at 81 decibels while the little TKO tested at 81.6 decibels.

Interesting, because that most definitely isn’t what I think I heard with my own ears.

So I’m curious. Every sound test I’ve ever seen done on moderators has been measured from a distance out in front and off to the side of the moderator. At least as far as I know. And I assume this one was also. Has anyone ever measured the sound from near the shooters ear from the shooters prospective behind the moderator? 

Here’s my reasoning

My report was none scientific and based on my observations solely with my own ears, which are obviously behind the moderator when I’m shooting. So is it possible that the way the sound wave comes out of the end of each of the moderators is different when measured behind the moderator? Therefore the perceived loudness is very different than it is from being out in front of the moderator? 

Is it possible that due to the design of the front end cap of the moderator that the sound wave from the TKO is being projected in a more forward down range direction away from my ears than it is with the Tanto? Therefore maybe giving me the impression that it is quieter?

Could the design of the front end cap of the Tanto be projecting the sound waves off to the sides more than is is with the TKO enabling my ears to pick up the sound better? Therefore making the Tanto seem louder to me? 

This at least makes some sense to me because if I were concerned about spooking down range game animals it would make sense to design the moderator to project the sound wave away from the muzzle off at an angle rather then straight down range towards my target. 

Maybe it doesn’t make that much difference at all and I’m just way overthinking the whole thing. Which is very possible. 

that TKO looks nice and slim on the 2400KT. i have one on my 2260 and it's very quiet. i have a rocker1 moderator on my 2400KT and it is by far the quietest rifle i own. i have thought about installing the TKO on the 2400KT ust to see what it would do, but it's .177 and right now it's super accurate at 25 yards with H&N Finale Match 4.49s and i'm afraid if i mess with the moderators i'll screw something up.

i also made a short video of me shooting it at 46 yards. it now wears a 3-9X32 BugBuster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Sub6FS4cg

1566095427_19043228625d58b843c9f4c1.56249503_2400KT.jpg

Nice! There was a little bite of a poi change when I installed the TKO but nothing dramatic. I haven’t had it but a day and have only shot a few pellets so far. So haven’t done a whole lot of shooting though. I also have LW barrel (.22 not .177) and it seems to rally like the 13.89 gr JSBs. 

Perceived sound from supressors don't have definitive answers. Everyone tries to quantify the sound but it is not easy. I have a Tanto and a Sumo. Generally, the Sumo is always quieter but direct threaded to a 33fpe Flash I couldn't tell them apart and the Tanto has half the internal volume. I have also played around with removing the felt and using different types of foam. I did find a material that worked a small amount better. It is some type of soft spongy shelf liner. I guess at least with the Tanto you don't have to settle for what you've got, you can find something and make it better. Ernest Rowe has a video wrapping his DonnyFL in foam that you can check out. He says it really improved his. The Tanto is just really versatile across many platforms and power levels. It isn't a one trick pony and is better than I have come to expect using bigger ones. It is not always the quietest but its size and quality round it out as being worth it to me. However, if you are looking for a single use application than a Clague or a TKO make a lot of sense. I think it is great that the TKO does so well for you at its small size. Competition is a good thing. The good makers step up.

OK, I ran the test. Conclusion? —> inconclusive, sorry. To my ears, they sound about the same. To the app, well, I think I got ripped off. Freaking thing is all over the place. 

Think I’m gonna head out and run 1 more test. Will updatе. 

Update: I tried a modified Tanto with a bit more felt. No discernible difference across any of them. & frankly, I don’t think my neighbors can hear much. I used to run a Sumo, I think that one was a bit more quiet, but the size to quiet ratio seems like a good deal to me with the Tanto or the Koi. 

OK, I ran the test. Conclusion? —> inconclusive, sorry. To my ears, they sound about the same. To the app, well, I think I got ripped off. Freaking thing is all over the place. 

Think I’m gonna head out and run 1 more test. Will updatе. 

Update: I tried a modified Tanto with a bit more felt. No discernible difference across any of them. & frankly, I don’t think my neighbors can hear much. I used to run a Sumo, I think that one was a bit more quiet, but the size to quiet ratio seems like a good deal to me with the Tanto or the Koi.

I appreciate the effort. Thank you

Okay so I got a chance to try the Tanto on the Prod today. And... well... what can I say? The jury is still out. Compared to the Tim Hill mod I honestly can’t say I could hear much of a difference between the two from the Prod. I shot the 2400KT with the TKO and Tanto also and I can still say I hear that there is a difference on that gun. Wish I could understand that better. I didn’t try any decibel meter apps. I’m skeptical that they’ any good anyhow. So this is just my own ears and damaged hearing and I don’t know what level of difference there might be. 

The ultimate test I guess would be to get a TKO for the Prod and test that out and try and compare. But I think I’ll hold off on that right now. I’ve got plenty on my plate.

I will say this, I thought the Tanto looked pretty at home on the Prod. I don’t like the look of super large moderators on the end of guns and I wouldn’t want to go any fatter than the Tanto on the Prod. It feels like it’s quite a bite heavier than Tim Hills mod which it is a lot fatter but I don’t own a scale to be able to weigh the difference. It’s not too bad or detrimental to my shooting, but I do notice a little more forward weight with it. 

All in all I’m going to hang on to it and I think I’ll shot the Prod with the Tanto for awhile. If I get the ambition to test it out more with actually measurable results I’ll update my experience. 

1566252791_19848919415d5b1ef71dc455.61343629_CAF0E854-72CC-472D-A46A-4D3B719AFB69.jpeg