• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tank Tethering

Quick Q: Once my main tank (Omega 100cu/ft) pressure falls below the max Bar/PSI fill pressure of my rifle (250 Bar) FX Crown, can I just leave the Omega tethered to the Crown (as I would normally connect it to top up) and just carry on shooting (bench) or is there a detrimental effect on the rifle or tank of doing this? The rifle bottle and tank will just equalize is that right? Thanks, Bob. 

Once your main fill tank is at or below the max fill pressure of your gun, then leaving your gun tethered to your main fill tank won't hurt a thing. From that point you can shoot your gun off of the main tank until the main tank drops below the regulator pressure of your gun. You may continue even after this point so long as you accept that your velocities will decrease as you continue to shoot below the reg pressure.

I've been doing this for years with my guppy tank. If I'm not going to a FT match (which I haven't done in a while) I only fill it to 240 or so and use it tethered just as you describe. As long as the pressure in the bottle is higher than the pressure in the guns tube/bottle the fill valve will let pressure in/equalize.

Caveat…. this came up a while back in a discussion on inline regulators between the tank and gun, as a why cant I just do this kinda thing. A vendor was all against it but I don't recall a real reason ever being stated as to why. So, just because it's worked for me for years, maybe there is a downside. Maybe it's tough on the inlet valve (which is seldom more than a screw and an oring on a front fill tube gun with a fill probe...)

Here is mine tetherd and set at 3200 psi. I shoot all my airguns tetherd when bench shooting. My BT65SB Elete QE is 2900 psi so I just hook my 90 ci tank to that and open it up being it’s pre set at 2900 psi.

1534364074_11855034905b7489aa65aa50.84124218_29E5EC8C-20EA-48EB-9045-31B5D8C75ABB.jpeg
1534364075_12507105435b7489ab2600c0.45777656_7DD9063C-5B07-4652-8DDA-8303F49E30FA.jpeg

Tethered up the rifle at the range the last couple of days and has worked great, so much nicer than having to keep refilling, especially as the main bottle falls below 250 bar and I can’t fill the rifle completely. Plug it in and keep shooting and watch the gauge on the tank rather than the rifle. Will definitely reduce trips to the dive store and save some money!

I have a ninja 90 cu in tank that has a 3000 psi (207 bar) regulator but the tank goes up to 4500 psi, so this should be something I could keep plugged in and keep a gun in the air sweet spot. Never thought of doing that... in fact I ordered it by accident and Amazon wouldn't let me return it for some reason so they refunded it anyway. I then ordered the one with the slow fill ninja fill station which wouldn't work until under the max rate for the gun.

41gqAckVxKL.jpg