tank seal blow out on Vulcan 3

Ok, I was chastised for sending my Vulcan 3 off for repair of a breech seal. I got the gun back and put the air compressor fill probe in the gun. I pumped it up but not to max. I forgot to bleed the air line and pulled on the air line. I noticed it was really tight. So I just pulled harder. It came out and so did the air in the tank. I mean it blew out not just a little leak. It blew out. And then, apparently my little air compressor died. I could not refill the Vulcan 3 as it has a blown seal. So to check the air compressor I attempted to top off two other air guns. The pressure gauge on neither of the other two guns would move. The air compressor is putting out air but it sure is a tiny amount. It is a Benjamin Traveler. So in addition to looking for a new compressor, I am needing to put a new seal in the Vulcan 3. Any helpers out there?

I'm sure someone will help. But many will hesitate to do so for fear of being blamed if you make a mistake of your own doing.

Some free, unasked for advice.
It might be time to just lurk and learn for awhile. What you did with the fill probe is something only the newest of the new might do, not understanding the seriousness or concept of high pressure air and what it can do to you or someone else puts whomever gives you help between a rock and a hard place.

You didn't get chastized for sending your vulcan in.
You got chastized for making the post sound like you got a raw deal from the seller and then the chastizing came when the truth on the details came out.

I don't feel like I chastised you at all I was teaching you to fish.
The owners manual has a parts diagram where you can see the little check valve behind the fill port. If there is an o-ring it will show it there.

My only angle is to help you learn the best way to solve problems. If there were anything I didn't like about you I would not offer help.

James

Some o'rings came out of place.

The one of the connection in the compressor, the one of the probe of the Vulcan, and maybe some other.

Those I can identify as much probable to have been damage or lost are very easy to replace (female foster of the compressor and external of the probe).
If all of the air in the guns tank came out it is certainly more then just the fill probe o-ring(s). Likely the check valve and/or it's o-rings are also damaged. This requires at least the removal of the fill assembly on the gun. If the OP was unable to replace breech o-rings I certainly would not instruct him to make any attempt to delve further into the gun with a fill assembly/check valve replacement. That's like someone telling you they can't check their oil in car, and you want them to attempt a brake pad replacement.

If all of the air in the guns tank came out it is certainly more then just the fill probe o-ring(s). Likely the check valve and/or it's o-rings are also damaged. This requires at least the removal of the fill assembly on the gun. If the OP was unable to replace breech o-rings I certainly would not instruct him to make any attempt to delve further into the gun with a fill assembly/check valve replacement. That's like someone telling you they can't check their oil in car, and you want them to attempt a brake pad replacement.
Some years ago I notice that if I do not bleed fast, the check valve of one rifle would not seal and all air would came out.

That is why my first move would be to replace those three o'rings: two of the fill probe of the Vulcan and the one of the the female foster of the compressor (that would cause impossibility of filling other rifles) .

If the OP was unable to replace breech o-rings I certainly would not instruct him to make any attempt to delve further into the gun with a fill assembly/check valve replacement. That's like someone telling you they can't check their oil in car, and you want them to attempt a brake pad replacement.
No one would ever learn if they followed that thought process.

We all got a fresh perspective on that thread from the other day now.. :) . After reading this, i would say your vulcan arrived in perfect working order. I would bet the farm you most likely messed the thing up yourself, and didn't even know it when you did it. I'd give that man his $90 back.

No one would ever learn if they followed that thought process.
Don't they have to "want" to learn? If you tell someone how to check their oil ad they say "I'll take it to the dealer and let them check it" and then they tell you the car isn't stopping are you going to tell them to change out the brakes themselves?

Reactions: Rickrick
I found Derrick Wall to do the repair for me. Thanks all.
We all got a fresh perspective on that thread from the other day now.. :) . After reading this, i would say your vulcan arrived in perfect working order. I would bet the farm you most likely messed the thing up yourself, and didn't even know it when you did it. I'd give that man his $90 back.
You are mistaken.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricochet
Can we just assume everyone has had their say about the other issue and move on?

No matter what your opinion is @Jeffs55 doesn't need to be hounded out of AGN. We are a better group of people than that .

Derrick will help him and he will enjoy his new airgun and contribute to the community.
Yes we can. As long as he does his part in being a responsible part of the community. Otherwise, he'll continue to do the same thing over and over until he decides to change his behaviour. Our responsibility is to the community, not the individual. The two issues causing this are more serious than just a 'cutting up on the forum so we need to quit picking on him'. The second one could have put him in the hospital, he was lucky.

Not understanding pressure can be deadly. I.e. 1 psi in a distillation tower, say, 100ft tall can blow a 2" thick, 24" round manhole cover off with great force killing the person removing the bolts from it for tower repair. In this tower case it's not high pressure, it's volume. His gun, low volume but extremely high psi, enough to have sent the probe or o'ring right through his eye, or possibly even the fill whip causing personal harm.

Reactions: d3vnull
Yes we can. As long as he does his part in being a responsible part of the community. Otherwise, he'll continue to do the same thing over and over until he decides to change his behaviour. Our responsibility is to the community, not the individual. The two issues causing this are more serious than just a 'cutting up on the forum so we need to quit picking on him'. The second one could have put him in the hospital, he was lucky.

Not understanding pressure can be deadly. I.e. 1 psi in a distillation tower, say, 100ft tall can blow a 2" thick, 24" round manhole cover off with great force killing the person removing the bolts from it for tower repair. In this tower case it's not high pressure, it's volume. His gun, low volume but extremely high psi, enough to have sent the probe or o'ring right through his eye, or possibly even the fill whip causing personal harm.

Fair enough. Good points on high pressure. It can also do plenty of damage just hitting the skin with a 90 psi airline.

Constructive education is good, but I do think he has been piled on enough in the other thread on that topic.

Hey folks, don't worry about me. None of you know me so you don't know how little I care about opinions other than mine. The truth shall set you free or so they say. As for danger of high pressure. I am sure it is there and I would never knowingly abuse it or test it on myself! Interestingly, I believe the seal failed while the probe was inserted due to being faulty from the day it was installed. Derrick says this is a known problem and wondered why Tony at Talon Tunes didn't change it out. But maybe Tony did change it with another bad seal, who knows. I have called Tony twice to once again send the gun back and have him replace that seal. He has not returned my call. I am not saying that Tony would install a seal he knew to be bad but that he might have changed the seal with another bad one because that is what his supplier sent him. So y'all have a good one on me. You learn who your friends are and I know who mine aren't through this kind of interaction. The air blast that came out of the gun was loud but not dangerous. The airline did not whip around as I had to hold it tight to get it out of the gun. Further, the air coming from my little compressor was such a low volume that it never would have caused the line to whip around. The line would hang still as in not moving even with the compressor running, no whipping around.

Yeah, no problem, none of us are worried about you. It's everybody else we're looking out for.
I don't imagine Tony will call you back, you're a danger to yourself and a liability to others.

What do they say..... Oh yeah, 'Friends don't let friends drink and drive', your true friends are the ones here trying to give you advice about life,

Here's to hoping the best for you.

Just seems like a smear Tony Campaign, and the guy you bought it from too. If i fall into the "not friends" category with you, well, so be it. I wouldn't sell or buy from you after any of this anyhow. I do wish you the best of luck with this hobby, but it sure looks like your learning curve is being really hard on you. I pray you don't start wanting to trash Derricks reputation after you interact with him, but after all this it's certainly expected. Read your instruction manuals, and hopefully the rubber o-ring gods will lift their curse on you.