Tank or compressor

So I am racking up some serious credit card debt while going "all in" with Field Target. I have been exploring carbon 4500psi fill tanks. These companies are really proud of their bubbles of glass. So I priced a "great white" with all the fixings over at Topgun-Airguns and it was going to cost over $800. Then I stumbled upon a Air Venturi Nomad 2 4500psi compressor for $700. According to what I have read, it can fill most PCPs in under 6 minutes. My question is why go with a large tank over something like this compressor if you didn't need to portability (not that a 98cubicft tank is that portable)? Thanks for any insights you may offer. 

I’m kind of tossing around the same scenario. From my limited research, I guess the advantages that would make you go with the tank are:

speed-the tank will fill your gun in seconds

portability- not a huge advantage over the new Nomad as you mentioned. 

reliability- I haven’t read any issues with the great white whereas most compressors seem to eventually have issues 

mainetance- the tank should be plug and play for at least a decade. Compressors require some TLC. None seem to have more than a 12 month warranty. 

noise-compressor is definitely louder 

The biggest (potential) disadvantage to the tank is you are going to depend on a dive or paintball shop for air. Depending on where you live, maybe not a big deal. With looming mandatory shutdowns of businesses, a compressor makes more sense now than it did 10 months ago. 
A compressor does obviously give you endless air as long as it works and you have electricity or a car/boat battery. 

I went with a tank for the speed and portability like mtsrunner mentioned but also because I knew the dive shop and one local paintball place would have dry air. I decided I wanted to start that way before getting into filters, etc. to dry the air of the smaller PCP compressors. Also, I knew that even if I did get a compressor that I'd still want a tank so easy choice.

I should add that another con of the tank is that if you're using a dive shop they don't always have the ability to fill to 4500 psi or somethings they just won't top it off after it cools down.

Why not both? I have both and no regrets. Its money worth spent. Always have endless supply of air. Never have to depend on a dive shop. People only mention the cost to get it fill at a shop. but never mention the time and gas it takes to get the air. And sometime they don't even fill to 4500 psi. With a compressor you always have air. And with a tank and compressor, endless supply any time. Any where. Well worth it.

I like having all of the above! I have 2 Shoeboxes, a 60 min and 30 min 4500 tanks, a 4500 70 and 90 AV and Ninja tanks. But if I was starting over or just starting out, I would get a compressor and a small tank. The cheaper compressors can easily fill a small tank and you have instant air. Plus it’s backpack portable and can even fill my big bores a couple times in the field. 

A tank only hold enough air for maybe 15 3600 psi fills. Now many more if you fill to a lower psi. When I go to the range, I use a regman to control air to gun. https://airtanksplus.com/ So this goes from tank to regman to Gun. I never worry about my gun running out of air. So I like having a tank. Now I used to go 20 minutes to dive shop. Drop it off and pick it up next day. So 80 minutes drive time. I finally purchased a compressor. So nice to have it.

so I would say, bottle first. If going to get tank filled is inconvenient, then a compressor also. If purchasing a Impact or similar cost rifle, with a couple of accessories and scope. The tank and compressor is actually less than the rifle. All depends how you want to use it.

Reactions: oledawg
I have the portable Benjamin version of the Nomad. Nice little rig, fills well and no real issues. Got old replacing ( after finding the right size and type) filters and waiting for fills so i grabbed a 100 cu in small tank and have since ordered the Tigershark (next step down from great white). In retrospect I would have gone straight to a tank and started saving for a larger 4500 psi compressor for the garage. So the shoebox now lives in the truck for the oh crap factor while on hunting trips. I do see a large compressor in my future once I convince the mrs. 

I would recommend both the tank and the compressor ultimately. The tank does not need to be so large either. I have an 88cf for heavy shooting and a 44cf tank for portability. Both bought used off eBay for around $125 each. these are SCBA firefighters’ tanks with current hydros.

With two tanks you could also use one to almost fill the gun, then use the other to finish it off. This way both tanks last longer before the dreaded dive shop trip.

The other thing with a tank is that once you use the pressure in the tank up to equal your max fill on the gun, you can then leave the tank's valve wide open and shoot for days connected to the tank. I do this at the range when using my .357 Slayer with a max fill tune set at 3600psi. Once the tank hits 3600psi, I open the valve and shoot away for several hours without having to mess with the tank. You will need a longer hose typically for this. I use the best fill assembly, the Stickman which already has the longer hose, and has the dual ports as well for dual tank use as mentioned above. I cut out a lid for a 5-gallon bucket so the gauge and the tank are upright, which helps the longer hose as well at the bench.

I['ve seen guys using the portable compressors at the range. Fill, shoot whatever they can get out of the gun, out to the truck for a refill, lift hood, hook up, fill, etc.

With a tank, attach, fill, shoot. In my case, I have two of the little buddy bottles (Air Venturi) and a Yong Heng. One bottle is way more than enough for a day at the range, and I can fill at will. Granted, whole setup was around $1000, for me works like a charm. Only possible drawback is that the tanks are regulated to 3000 PSI (4500 PSI fill, 3000 PSI output.). Means I can only fill my tanks to 3000 PSI. However, makes it easy to tether to the bottle and just keep shooting when at the range.

For me, danged near perfect, though may not work for you. Think about it!

If you are on a limited budget the most practical choice is a Yong Heng compressor and a small 3 liter or smaller carbon fiber tank. I only recommend this option if you are mechanically handy. Yong Hengs are relatively simple to repair and parts such as high pressure piston and rings should be on your spare parts emergency backup list. Use quality compressor oil and don't run it for longer than 30 minutes between cool downs. It is wise to buy a $139 gold water separator or at least a gold filter with filter cartridge as a moisture filtration device.

I'm not a fan of the 12 volt plug in compressors due to their poor reliability record and inconvenience. They are more expensive ($400-750) and they aren't owner repairable in most instances. Who wants to plug in a compressor to their car or truck battery and run the engine while the PCP fills? Nomad II's, Hatsan Sparks, etc. have relatively short life spans and a very high failure rate. You can buy an extended warranty but who wants to go through the hassle of returns, insurance claims, etc. on something likely to fail? Don't you want a compressor that you can rely upon instead of one which you have to pray it won't die each time you use it?

If you have a higher budget and only shoot from locations with outlets nearby, skip buying a tank altogether wtih a Hill EC-3000 from Pyramyd Air. It is much better built than the 12 volt portable compressors and the Yong Heng type compressors. It direct fills much faster than 12 volt compressors. It can also be used to fill a small 3 liter or under sized tank for some portability.

One option that isn't mentioned often is to buy a lightly used brand name dive quality compressor and a tank. I bought a used Bauer Utilus from Craigslist Miami which was rebuilt and looked nearly new. I paid $2500 for it and used it for 3 years. I foolishly sold for what I paid for it. It still works flawlessly in a retail paintball business 3 years later. It was 20 years old when i bought it but the build quality is better than any new $2500 or under compressor. If you are not in a hurry, check on Craigslist and Ebay as they do come up for sale once in awhile. Look for a Bauer Jr. II or Utilus, Coltri MCH-6, Airetex 45 or 31, or Alkin W31. If you are in the U.S. don't buy a used compressor from a foreign seller. If you buy an overseas unit that has an issue, the return shipping will make the purchase an expensive mistake.