• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tank fill from a hand pump?

Probably one of my dumber idea's, but I acquired a 16 c.f. Benjamin air tank and thought about hand pumping it to fill it. No not at 1 time! I was thinking that after an initial fill their will still be approximately 1000 psi in the tank, so why not hand pump it back up over the course of a week. If my feeble mind is correct that size tank should refill the 135cc tank on my maximus 10-12 times on a 3000 psi fill? Am I just dumb or is this reasonably possible?

My little Marauder air cylinder takes about 100 strokes to get from 1800 PSI to 2800 PSI using the Benjamin air pump (Hill is more efficient, so take this for what it's worth). The last 30 strokes approaching top pressure are murder. Multiply that out by the size of the little tank and you should have a reasonable estimate of the work. Can be done, but will take a while. 

Just an idea, but only because it works in my situation. If you have an ordinary air compressor you can force air into the intake tract of your hand pump. It will reduce your required amount of pumps drastically. It will also increase the amount of force required to push down the pump as well so only put in what pressure you can handle. 

For example it only takes me 20 strokes to get from 185 bar to 300 bar on my Uragan compact with forced air in the intake portion of the hand pump.

Allen

Is the Hill hand pump the best option for efficiency today? Any idea on how many pumps for an AS16 Compact? It sounds like still too many from what I read?

Disclaimer: new to PCP. I’m thinking it’s worth springing for a tank. Lol

Yes, probably best to start with a tank. Maybe use the pump (whether hand or compressor) to pump the difference to full if you are low on the tank. But make sure you have a place to fill your tank first though

I have several compressors and boosters, add to that umpteen hoses and couplings.

Lets just say that i chase leaks ever so often and each of them would kill the pace of a pump fill.

You' using any kind of desiccant filter for water or are you like "whatever"?

Lets say you are using a good desiccant filter with moisture pre filter and you are out the first 40-50 strokes just to get pressure up to snuff.

Then you need to work at least the next 40-50 strokes to even get a dent in the pressure.

Now your pump is to hot and you have to wait half an hour and maybe lose most of your pre pressure.

Please look up Sisyphus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

Oh and make your life way easier, just get a bottle ;-)

Just an idea, but only because it works in my situation. If you have an ordinary air compressor you can force air into the intake tract of your hand pump. It will reduce your required amount of pumps drastically. It will also increase the amount of force required to push down the pump as well so only put in what pressure you can handle. 

For example it only takes me 20 strokes to get from 185 bar to 300 bar on my Uragan compact with forced air in the intake portion of the hand pump.

Allen

Wair. I've got 2 standard air compressors that I use in my garage. You're saying that I can somehow hook them up to a hand pump to help pump up my Benjamin Marauder? (Both of which I just purchased but haven't received yet)

Allen

Wair. I've got 2 standard air compressors that I use in my garage. You're saying that I can somehow hook them up to a hand pump to help pump up my Benjamin Marauder? (Both of which I just purchased but haven't received yet)

Interesting that you say that because I have done that and will share how I did it. But

Actually what I ment was, on these hand pumps they have a intake somewhere for them. As you normally pump you are just sucking outside air into them, and due to leverage you are multiplying the the starting pressure. What happens if you can plumb the intake so you are starting with 10 or 15 lbs of air? Less pumps to fill the pcp! Another benefit is your compressor probably has a water separator. That air is cleaner and dryer than the air that is normally sucked into your hand pump. But I will warn you depending on how much pressure you put in the hand pump it will increase the amount of effort to pump the hand pump. So play around with the pressures. And no just about anything beyond 50 psi you will not be able to push down. 

For example on the top of my hand pump is my intake 

20210704_154644.1627174319.jpg

You can put higher pressure when the line pressure is low and decrease as the hpa pressure increases

As for using air to compress the hand pump I have done that too. In several configurations, from fully manual with assist (using only your finger to pump hand pump) to semi- automated. I did that with a pneumatic cylinder I bought off of amazon. Actually everything I got for that I got from amazon.

There is a post where i did all this but it maybe a hard read, not much response but i want to kind of chronicle it. Here is one of the most recent pictures is where i use it to pump two hand pumps. 

20210704_160912.1627175498.jpg

In this configuration it takes about 20 pumps to get my uragan 20 pumps to get from 150 bar to 300 bar and about 27 to 30 to pump my 480cc or 580cc from 150 bar to 250 bar.

Here is the link sorry for long post. If you need clarification just reply to that post or pm me.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/using-two-hand-pumps-tethered-together/

If you want one powered by a electric motor take a look at member blackIce i think he has one that pumps a single hand pump.