• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tank Failed Hydro Test

Was it done at a local dive shop, or was it sent out from the shop for testing? Some smaller local shops don't seem to have a complete understanding of how the test is to be done... I've never heard of this happening with an American made CFFC tank, but the Omegas are Korean...

Local welding shop and was done in house

Welding supply tanks are mostly steel . They may or may not have the property specs for CF tanks. I would look for some company locally that tests tanks like a fire extinguisher company. They usually test SCBA ‘a also .Just call and ask. Test again then next step if bad.

MM

That's good to know. I was initially have a guy who drives all over NM to all the fire departments to hydro test their tanks. I'll call him up for a second option

Good idea. Steel tanks aren't tested in the same way and to the same specs as CFFC cylinders. Only 6 years old, I'd question the tester more than the tank. Did they pre-load to 85% of test pressure to allow flex, did they use the water jacket method as required, how did they measure REE of your test; these are all issues that they may not even be aware of... Unless there is physical damage, these tanks just don't fail at normal operational pressures. Just try and find reports in the last 15 years of ANY CFFC tanks failing that weren't caused by physical damage. Now pressurizing the tank to in excess of 15,000 psi, then we're talking explosive failure. But 4500, or even 7500, just not going to happen...They may "leak", but that's usually a bad oring on the neck to valve.

Welding supply tanks are mostly steel . They may or may not have the property specs for CF tanks. I would look for some company locally that tests tanks like a fire extinguisher company. They usually test SCBA ‘a also .Just call and ask. Test again then next step if bad.

MM

Can't get a second option on the tank. The welding shop grinded the DOT number off the tank and they drilled out the threads. This sucks. I know this for my own safety and every pcp shooter who owns a CF tank should have this done but it still sucks to junk an expensive piece of equipment. 

Only 6 years? Was it used or new when you got it? These tanks are made to go past 15 years. They are actually able to go up to 30 years. That's how some tanks can get recertification for another 15 years. Damn you got rip off bad man. They fking destroyed your tank. Probably don't even know wtf they're doing. Don't take it to a wielding shop duh. You have to take it to a suba shop..smh oh well. Another 500-600 now. These tank should not only get 6 years. Firemen abuse these tank as heck in all kind of heat and environment and it's still able to be in service for 15 years. Usually foe only airgun. There tank should have no problem going past 15 years. I would sue the mother fkers.

Sorry to hear of this problem but I agree with the above post that suggested another test (moot point now obviously). But maybe a good lesson for all-take your CF tanks to a place familiar with such for testing.

I do recall reading a few months back that a CF tank was very unlikely to explode and would be much more likely to de-laminate and leak. Certainly not sure of this however. There is a youtube video of a small shop compressor tank exploding that severely injured the man near it so HPA could certainly do some damage.