Tank cant be filled after hydro

I have a 6 year old carbon tank and Joe Brancato TJ3 valve that was just sucessfully hydro tested.
i asked them to fill it and was told there was some issue with their compressor, so i ended with 2900 PSI.
took it home and didnt touch it for weeks. Tank held air without issue.
went to local paintball shop for 4500 PSI fill and when he hooked it up, the tank wont take any air.
I have gone to this shop before. We verified they had 4500 PSI upstream and filled several other tanks to be sure.
Opened the valve to let some air out several times without issue.
Back on fill whip and nothing.
Any ideas on the issue here? How could removing the valve hydro testing and reinstalling have caused this?
thanks in advance

Bob

Could the GAUGE be reading incorrectly? When tanks are hydrotested it's not done through the valve. That is removed and a Hydrotest adapter put in it's place (or should be) so having to "overcome" a 7K back pressure on the valve really shouldn't exist. Something in the valve is preventing inflow imho. I'd call Joe Brancato & pick his brain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I have a 6 year old carbon tank and Joe Brancato TJ3 valve that was just sucessfully hydro tested.
i asked them to fill it and was told there was some issue with their compressor, so i ended with 2900 PSI.
took it home and didnt touch it for weeks. Tank held air without issue.
went to local paintball shop for 4500 PSI fill and when he hooked it up, the tank wont take any air.
I have gone to this shop before. We verified they had 4500 PSI upstream and filled several other tanks to be sure.
Opened the valve to let some air out several times without issue.
Back on fill whip and nothing.
Any ideas on the issue here? How could removing the valve hydro testing and reinstalling have caused this?
thanks in advance

Bob
Are they opening the valve while filling? They are used to one way check valves on paintball tanks. Maybe a novice operator. Run compressor until output gauge reaches tank pressure, open tank knob, fill......etc

Been mulling this over. Is it possible that debris might somehow gotten into valve ass'y & prevent valve seal from allowing air in? Just trying to cover the possibilities. This IS a weird one! If air will come out it SHOULD go in, come to think of it. Again, maybe gauge is reading way lower than actual pressure. Do you have a way to read pressure of outflow from tank? (My deadhead setup has a gauge on it). Are you SURE tank only has 2900psi? Verified how?

Been mulling this over. Is it possible that debris might somehow gotten into valve ass'y & prevent valve seal from allowing air in? Just trying to cover the possibilities. This IS a weird one! If air will come out it SHOULD go in, come to think of it. Again, maybe gauge is reading way lower than actual pressure. Do you have a way to read pressure of outflow from tank? (My deadhead setup has a gauge on it). Are you SURE tank only has 2900psi? Verified how?
As you said,
Joe brancato confirms that if air is coming out it should go in. Waiting for an answer on whether the slo flo restricts the tank fill process as it does the gun fill process.

The valve has a gauge showing tank pressure and one on the output side that typically shows pressure of the gun as its being filled.

if the tank is being filled, the output side valve should show the supply pressure ramping up to 4500 as the tank fills.

good point here. i am assuming the tank valve is accurate but its possible it isnt and there is more than 2900 PSI in the tank. Could be full. that would explain the whole scenario where no more air would go in.
we didnt look at the output side valve during this process but I will next time.
Will update as i learn more
thankyou for the comments

As you said,
Joe brancato confirms that if air is coming out it should go in. Waiting for an answer on whether the slo flo restricts the tank fill process as it does the gun fill process.

The valve has a gauge showing tank pressure and one on the output side that typically shows pressure of the gun as its being filled.

if the tank is being filled, the output side valve should show the supply pressure ramping up to 4500 as the tank fills.

good point here. i am assuming the tank valve is accurate but its possible it isnt and there is more than 2900 PSI in the tank. Could be full. that would explain the whole scenario where no more air would go in.
we didnt look at the output side valve during this process but I will next time.
Will update as i learn more
thankyou for the comments
I don’t get "output side valve". Do you mean your fill adapter? If so, put a deadhead plug in the end of it, open tank & then see what the fill adapter gauge is reading compared to tank gauge. Can you post a picture of your setup?