• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Talondor 50 yard Squirrel Rifle

I'm going to use this spot in this thread to develop a story about a Talondor rifle I have been playing with for a few years now. Once I have all my data in this thread I'll reorganize it and turn it into a PDF and put a link to the file here.

I've had this old rifle for a long time. I don't have a clue how long the guy I bought it from had it but it has the old safety on it. I believe the most I ever saw it produce is about what Shamboozie is getting out of his Talondor. It has been through several rounds of modification both before I bought it and since.

My current intention is to take it from a rifle primarily intended for night pesting from a stand to a 50 yard squirrel rifle for walking the woods all day. I think I'm about there with it and I'll start posting pictures as I take them.

This part of the document is about the current configuration of the rifle and what the shot strings look like.

I think the rifle was originaly a Talon. It has been configured with the large tank and had other modifications to increase the power levels. It has a 12" barrel and 90 gram hammer and a custom top hat and spring. There are no restricters in the top hat. The rifle was regulated and I removed the regulator because I wanted to reduce overall length. It had an ATN X-Sight II mounted on it for a long time. I decided to lighten things up and replaced that with a UTG 3x12 mil/mil scope on medium rings (3.25" above the bore). In that process I had a problem with what I believe was a slightly bent rail. I had to shim the rings. I'll detail that later in this piece. This rifle has the SS system and is certainly quiet enough to hunt with as is. I also have a Donny FL Tanto rigged to it. Generally I do not attach the Tanto to the rifle because I don't like the additional length; however, I certainly would if I wanted the additional moderation. That little device makes a big difference. A shot at a squirrel without the moderator will alert the other squirrels but not alarm them. A shot with the moderator does not alert the other squirrels even if they are close to the intended target. The moderator is a worthwhile option to keep handy for those very calm quiet days when there is no breeze and no background noise.

IMG_20201116_103715998.1605541272.jpg

The rifle was shooting at 770 fps for 40 shots when the regulator was on the rifle. That's about 33 FPE. It is more than enough to kill squirrels stone dead on impact and the rifle has taken plenty of squirrels from a bench. I removed the regulator and installed the heavy hammer, the custom top hat and an O-ring under the top hat to limit valve opening. I installed a custom spring which was almost identical to the OEM spring before it was modified by the previous owner. This stiffened up the bolt. Cocking takes a bit more effort than it did before. 

Currently the power wheel is set to 6-1. I arrived at that setting by shooting the rifle at each setting of the wheel and creating a graph. It looked a lot like this ;)

PW-Setting-Graph.1605493768.jpg

You'll notice in the raw data there are labels for "Up" and "Down" and "Average". This action design is sensitive to improper lubrication both excess and too dry. Shamboozie gave me some ideas as to how to slick the action up a bit and I subsequently did that. Even with a properly lubed mechanism when you set the power wheel while increasing the setting there is a certain hysteresis that remains in the system and needs to settle out (at least there is with this rifle). The same happens when approaching the power setting while reducing the power wheel. So I just collected both settings and averaged that out. "Good enough for gubmit work." These data were collected when there was still a bit of "chatter" in the mechanism. They are rough, but good enough.

The data told me that I get my best efficiency around a wheel setting of 6-1. A few days later I shot 60 shots on a full tank. The tank was filled to 3100 psi. There was 2000 psi remaining after the 60 shot string. I plugged that data into the statistics function of Chairgun and manipulated the starting and ending shots until I found the best 30 shots. I made several graphs while doing that. Here are the two that matter:

JSB-60-stats.1605494641.jpg

60 shots ^^^

JSB-30-stats.1605494710.jpg

30 shots ^^^

Well in the end I tossed the first ten shots from the 60 shot string. Since I started the string at 3100 and ended it at 2000 psi it is easy approximate that I used 1100/60 psi per shot. That number is about 18.3 psi/shot. For a total of about 183 psi for the first ten shots. Why does this matter? Well I don't really need 60 shots and the best 30 start at around number 10. The gun is no longer regulated so the fill point becomes important when selecting the starting pressure that gives you the beginning of the best part of your available shot string. From here on out I'll just fill to 2900 on my compressor gauge. That will put me at about the right place to get my best 30 shots before a refill at about 2400 psi. There are additional shots in that final 400 psi if I want to take them, but if I have shot 30 in the woods and not taken my limit that day something is very wrong.

So now the rifle is configured to shoot thirty shots at 840 fps (~40 fpe) with an ES of 33 and an SD of 9. That will do.

ZEROING

I got the rifle out this afternoon. It was blowing a storm and cold but needed to get a start on setting up a zero.

The gun is shooting the JSB Exacts at 840 fps for about 40 fpe. That will certainly do for anything smaller than about 20 pounds body weight. Well it will according to the old 2 foot pounds of energy for every pound of body weight rule of thumb. Your mileage may vary. It has worked well for me.

For a dime sized kill zone, Chairgun gave me a near zero of 25 yards and a far zero of 44 yards. It gave me a point on spread of 20 to 49 yards. Good enough. So the 50 yard squirrel rifle can just be pointed and shot and we don't have to fiddle with the range finder on anything but shots over 50 yards but we aren't going to try those (right ;)). The vast majority of shots are going to fall in that 20 to 50 yard spread.

Once I got the scope shimmed (which I will detail elsewhere in this post) I set up a target at my near zero (25 yards) and shot to get a group and get a rough zero. This target is a mess but shows what I did to get that.

zero-tgt.1605746993.jpg

In this target there are three groups. Group 1 on top left is the five shot group I shot at 25 yards to establish the current zero. Group number two is the group I shot while adjusting the zero with the last ten shots of about 13 shots total going into the circled part of the group. Looks like it is zeroed doesn't it? It's not. I then moved the target to my far zero and shot five shots. The quarter is just covering them. They are low. That's why I refine my zero to always agree with what Charigun says is my far zero. A half an inch movement at the far zero translates to about a quarter inch at the near zero.

After I established the zero I shot this target.

zero-tgt2.1605747924.jpg

That target was shot at 44 yards, my far zero. You can imagine how much I was scratching my head. Group 1 started out nice and then went to garbage. I started shooting group 2 and it immediately went to garbage. Mind you there was a stout and variable wind blowing left to right, still??? Well I shot group 4 (5 shots) bottom right and then I said to myself, "SELF! This rifle shoots better than this. WTF?" I decided to remove the DonnyFL adapter from the end of the barrel and replace it with the original barrel cap. I probably had that adapter "cock eyed" and I imagine it was clipping the pellets. The OEM cap solved the problem.

Then I shot group number 3. Ten shots 44 yards, about 3/4 of an inch tall and half an inch wide. 

We have a squirrel rifle.

Now the next part of this will be about how to shim your scope rings.

Reactions: Hapo
What pellets are you using? Just curious because I have an older Talon SS. Already has heavier hammer and spring. Was shooting 18 grain JOBS at around 750 fps. That was chronied and set for yard pesting. Now I'm interested in shooting a heavier pellet.

Purchased JSB Exact jumbo monster and JSB Ultra shock Heavy Diablo. Turned the dial to over 8 to make up for weight. No chrony on this outing. But at 25 yards, punched through an old steel mailbox side and seriously dented the inside of the other. The 18gr would punch but no dent.

I will crony when I'm done with some maintenance and mods. Getting the Supersear and the old model Wokguard (minus the AR grip option). An Air Venturi stock. A machinist friend is working on a butt stock for me also.

I suggest that you get the Airforce trirail for the handle/rail. Really strengthens that flimsy area. That is why I'm getting the Wokguard as well. Original guard is very flimsy. Also hoping the Air Venturi stock aids in a little support.

Those mods and a good clean out new o-rings should make it like a new rifle! All I did with it for a long time was put a couple drops of silicon on it here and there. Long due for some TLC. BTW, I've had this for around twenty years, give or take. So yeah, they're durable!

What pellets are you using? Just curious because I have an older Talon SS. Already has heavier hammer and spring. Was shooting 18 grain JOBS at around 750 fps. That was chronied and set for yard pesting. Now I'm interested in shooting a heavier pellet.

This rifle is a .25 cal shooting JSB Exact 25.39 grain pellets at 845 fps for about 40 fpe.

Purchased JSB Exact jumbo monster and JSB Ultra shock Heavy Diablo. Turned the dial to over 8 to make up for weight. No chrony on this outing. But at 25 yards, punched through an old steel mailbox side and seriously dented the inside of the other. The 18gr would punch but no dent.

My power wheel is set to 6-1 but I have a heavier hammer spring than the stock one (only marginally heavier). Also I have the 90 gram hammer. Then to reduce the dwell somewhat I put an O-ring under the top hat. Seems to be a good combination.

I will crony when I'm done with some maintenance and mods. Getting the Supersear and the old model Wokguard (minus the AR grip option). An Air Venturi stock. A machinist friend is working on a butt stock for me also.

I suggest that you get the Airforce trirail for the handle/rail. Really strengthens that flimsy area. That is why I'm getting the Wokguard as well. Original guard is very flimsy. Also hoping the Air Venturi stock aids in a little support.

I actually have something which must have been a rail stiffener. I removed it. That reduced my weight by about half a pound maybe?

They are great rifles.

And all your testing and results are with the older hi flow Condor bottle? I do have one of those. Hardly used it because I didn't want fill it up with a hand pump all the time. Always used the Talon restricted flow bottle. Got fifty shots starting at around 775 fps and ending a little more than 700. Then topped off. 

Now that I have a Benjamin Traveler on the way, I'll brush the dust off of that Condor bottle. Will have to remember that o-ring trick under the tophat. The pellets I'm switching to are 25.39 grains. Heavy for a .22. Always got good results with 18s. Guess I just want to throw a little more energy down range. Especially now that Pa opened small game to airguns.

Btw, love the stock and grip!

And all your testing and results are with the older hi flow Condor bottle? I do have one of those. Hardly used it because I didn't want fill it up with a hand pump all the time. Always used the Talon restricted flow bottle. Got fifty shots starting at around 775 fps and ending a little more than 700. Then topped off. 

Now that I have a Benjamin Traveler on the way, I'll brush the dust off of that Condor bottle. Will have to remember that o-ring trick under the tophat. The pellets I'm switching to are 25.39 grains. Heavy for a .22. Always got good results with 18s. Guess I just want to throw a little more energy down range. Especially now that Pa opened small game to airguns.

Btw, love the stock and grip!

Thanks. My Talon/Condor is really old. It had the grip and fore stock on it when I got it. I like them but they do add weight.

Honestly I don't know much about the history of these AF guns. Mine has the old safety made out of a bent wire that feels sloppy. Once you get used to it, it is ok and it works. It is easy enough to reset it if you take it off safe and then decide not to shoot.

The O-ring trick seems to have been common at some point as you can find many references to it on the various forums.

That's a heavy pellet in a .22. I've observed there is a certain level of performance which you can achieve in a 12" barrel and then you have to either go to a longer barrel or satisfy yourself shooting heavier pellets to get the additional power.

I'm curious as to whether a 25.39 in 22 would use less air as to a .25 with a slightly wider diameter? Who knows, not going to worry about it. Finally getting a compressor! Of course my pecs are going to suffer ! Lol!

Would like to go higher in caliber, but Pa is set at highest caliber in small game in .22. Thus my interest in a heavier pellet and giving my pest gun a well deserved upgrade. Maybe doing some playing around with the Hi-flow bottle. 

Btw, Talon tunes has actual sandable shims for under that Tophat. Not sure what's better, a shim that cushions like your o-ring or a solid disc?

I'm curious as to whether a 25.39 in 22 would use less air as to a .25 with a slightly wider diameter? Who knows, not going to worry about it. Finally getting a compressor! Of course my pecs are going to suffer ! Lol!

Would like to go higher in caliber, but Pa is set at highest caliber in small game in .22. Thus my interest in a heavier pellet and giving my pest gun a well deserved upgrade. Maybe doing some playing around with the Hi-flow bottle. 

Btw, Talon tunes has actual sandable shims for under that Tophat. Not sure what's better, a shim that cushions like your o-ring or a solid disc?

I think you will find the smaller bore is a bit more efficient. You will be able to get all you want out of that .22 barrel and the BC will be better with the smaller diameter pellet. I think the barrel on mine was made for .257 cast bullets, but not sure. It has a 1:12 RH twist. I don't know what the factory barrels have. It seems like 1:12 is a bit fast for a pellet barrel.

I used those Talon Tunes shims and I am not sure how I feel about them. On one of these unregulated AF guns there is a dynamic change in valve opening and dwell as the pressure changes within the bottle. The hammer always hits the top hat the same every time. Since the pressure inside the bottle is changing the valve opens further and the dwell increases with each change in bottle pressure. A solid shim prevents that. That may be a good thing, or not. A soft O-ring tends to reduce that change without preventing it. I think one would have to spend a couple of afternoons on the bench to decide which was more desirable. 

I'd be happy to hear more about your experiences with your rifle.

Well, I shot some targets today and was not entirely pleased with the results. I'll leave them here and work through the analysis another time. Suffice it to say, I've turned the power wheel back to about 800 fps until I can figure out why my groups are not coming together. The rifle is shooting well enough but I feel like I can get more out of it in the accuracy department... Feedback encouraged!

40 yards. JSB Exact 25.39 grain .25 cal pellets

PW settings 4-1, 5-1, and 6-1...

See graph in first post for approximate velocities.

tgt1.1606017254.jpg

tgt2.1606017266.jpg

Tommy

Those do need replacing. Must be a trick to it? Took a while but I figured out I could use a cut off pencil as a platform to work the O-ring against while seating it inside the bolt carrier. I found a couple of those in my kit and replaced them. No joy. 

I've been studying up on twist rates and have a thread in the general section running.  This barrel has a 1:12 twist rate. Wrong on that 1:18. More experimentation tomorrow if I get time. I need to double check that twist rate. Done 1:18. Got that wrong.

...can I just like buy a .257 cal barrel and put it on my Escape and expect good results shooting heavy bullets...???...

...what other parts would I need to buy to make it work well...???...stuff a guy like me could install...???...

homer-simpson-looking-stupid.jpg

Well as it turns out it isn't a 1:14 LW it is a 1:18 which is a bit slow for slugs but could work. I think it is probably the original barrel.

Yes you would have to add a heavier hammer, a high flow top hat, and possibly a heavier hammer spring to get the kind of air flow you would need to shoot .257 slugs.

The stock hammer is 40 grams (I think). You can buy hammer weights which I believe are available in different sizes. You can get after market hammers that are as heavy as 90 grams. The problem with heavy hammers is lock time is increased. You can add a heavier spring to compensate. There is no free lunch.