• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Talon Tunes (my $.02)

So in reviewing the past 12 months of posts in this particular forum, I see an overwhelming number of topics that are pertaining to "Talon Tunes". They are split half and half. Some guys rave about Talon Tunes, and others loath Talon Tunes. So the following is my $.02 based off of my personal experience with Tony at Talon Tunes.

But before I even get into my story, I want to appeal to your logic. Lets use math to do this. If there are 10 reviews on Talon Tunes in the past year, and 5 are positive, and 5 are negative, then Tony is only batting .500. If you were shopping on eBay, would you buy products from a seller who's store had a 2.5 star rating? Probably not. So let me go a step deeper. What do the positives and negatives all have in common? All of the positives are from people who got what they ordered from Tony without incident (probably placing an order online). All of the negatives are from people who had some sort of issue with their order, had to reach out to Tony, and got strung along, belittled, or shut down by him. Of course you're going to give a positive review if you order something and it goes without a hitch. But where customer service REALLY counts is when there's an issue, and you reach out to the supplier for answers, and they bend over backwards to make things right. Tony at Talon Tunes doesn't do this. I have personal experience on the receiving end of his poor customer service, and I know several others on here who do as well.

So let me start by saying if you ever call Talon Tunes, you will NEVER hear a welcoming voice on the other end. Tony's personality is VERY ABRASIVE. Almost to the point that you feel like he's put out by having to talk to you on the phone. If you order something from him online, and never have to interact with him, then you will have a pleasurable experience. But God help you if you have an issue and have to call him. Don't try to have a long conversation with him, because his time is very valuable. He will cut you off and ask if you intend on buying something- implying that if you don't, you're wasting his precious time.

His company is Talon Tunes. Talon being the Air Force Talon PCP which I'm assuming is where he cut his teeth in the world of air rifles. In it's infancy, I believe his business focused on Air Force platforms. Now he sells a gamut of other things. But in my case, my first dealing with Tony was to purchase some after market parts for my AF Condor. Since he sold the components, and since his company is called "Talon Tunes" I reached out to him for some expert advice. From the moment he picked up the phone, he was abrasive and cold. After a few minutes of questions, he hit me with the "So are you going to buy something or not?" Shocked, I timidly replied, "Yes. I will." And I placed my order. The order came in a reasonable time, but my interaction with Tony was ingrained in my memory. I ordered a heavier hammer weight with slap mod and a heavier hammer spring.

But I'm the kind of person to give someone the benefit of the doubt. So a year or so later I decided to but an Air Force extreme flow valve from Tony. I just placed the order online. After waiting over a week and getting ZERO shipping details, I called Tony. In his usual abrasive and semi-condescending fashion, he assured me the item would be shipped shortly. He offered zero explanation as to why the item hadn't been shipped already, which seemed strange and highly irritating from a consumer standpoint. So I waited another week. Called. Got no answer. Wrote an email. Got no response. Then out of the clear blue, I get a notification that my item was shipped. FINALLY!

The valve assembly took about a week to arrive. Picture Ralphie from A Christmas Story when he discovered that his Little Orphan Annie decoder pin was used to push crummy commercials instead of secret messages. That's what my face was like when I saw the valve. The anodization or bluing (or whatever he uses on the exterior body of the valves) was marred and discolored in several spots. It almost looked like it had seen some corrosion and had been wiped down with acetone or something. And there are 2 ambidextrous threaded ports for a high pressure gauge to read the pressure of the bottle (or regulator if you're utilizing one). The bottom of the ports were milled so deep that the layer of metal separating the inner workings of the valve body and the bottom of the port were paper thin. And on one side it actually had a small hole it was so thin. Then I realized that the only thing that made the valve "Extreme Flow" was the ports on the back end of the tophat and the Delrin plug were ever so slightly enlarged for a little more airflow. But compared side by side to the stock condor vale setup I had, it didn't make any more energy. Also, the threads on the gauge ports leaked like a sieve when I screwed the gauges into them. That's a LOT of flaws for a small, non-complex valve assembly.

With all of these things combined, I decided to give Tony a call. I braced for impact in anticipation of him picking up the phone. I started to explain to him my concerns. I said, "I'm thinking the tolerances of the machines that make these valves are too loose and the work seems sloppy." I made reference that is a common issue with products manufactured in China. Tony got PISSED when I said this. He said, "Who told you these were made in China?" I said it's the only explanation for this many manufacturing issues on a single mechanical device. And this it what Tony told me...… "Get some Mega Tape pipe sealing tape and put that around the threads on the gauges. If it leaks after that then you can call me back." And he hung up the phone.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. So I decided from that moment forward I would NEVER, EVER do business with Tony or Talon Tunes again. I kept this info to myself for a long time, but after reading a dozen negative reviews that all seem to similarly coincide with my story, I felt obligated to tell my story. I'm not telling anyone not to do business with Talon Tunes. If you feel the reward outweighs the sacrifice, then go ahead. I'm simply saying that I (as well as a multitude of others on here) will never do business there again, and we have valid, substantiate reasons for this decision. There are too many other retailers out there that have better interaction and follow through with their customer service.

Reactions: Jesse1972
Well at least he’s consistent. The airgun business is a strange business. We can flame PA for how they pack pellets or sell bad refurbs, or Tony for being a meanie. But when he gets a shipment of gun X that everybody wants, they are gone. PA could pack pellets in an envelope and they will still fly off the shelves. In this hobby, our options are limited which gives the dealers the upper hand. They need it because half of the modern day consumers are idiots. It has to be tough on them. Not an excuse, just an observation.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I have called, texted and used Facebook messenger to contact Tony. He has always responded and never been a meanie to me. I have had nothing but positive interactions. Last gun I ordered was a taipan. It took 3 or 4 weeks to ship. But I had the works done it and knew he was going to have to do some work. I checked in once a week and he always responded positively. Guess I head good experience and will buy from him again. 

Hi All,

'bout a year ago I picked up a pair of Taipan Vet Longs from Tony. Talked to him on the phone for about 20 minutes. Told him to take his time and make sure all was ok. The guns arrived and have worked flawlessly.

I've purchase some other odds and ends w/o issue but these were online purchases.

Maybe luck of the draw. I'll try it again as he has one more I'd like to get ;)

Unfortunately it appears all do not have smooth transactions. I don't know if I could deal with the general public all the time but dealing with customers is part of the business. I'll be back.

Anyone else know of folks with .177 Taipans in stock in the states?

Nugria

Agree with OP about his demeanor. He can never be called "talkative". Not my cup of tea for interacting with a person but it's his business. I've had less than acceptable feedback on WHEN a part would be sent or even available-seems he makes some things as orders come in.

Agree with everyone else on the hard items. Generally the quality is good, he usually has or will get what you need, and you will eventually get it.

I have had delays in the past on orders that were entirely unacceptable with no feedback on why or when. I placed an order yesterday and got notice that it shipped today.

Go figure.

I bought many parts from him over the years and all went fine.

Noteworthy fact here- several years ago I did try to order a first Air Force from him and he was honest amd told me it's probably not the level of accuracy I was gonna be happy with compared to what I am used to and actually advised me on passing on the brand.

Fast forward I did end up getting a handful of AF guns for good deals used. Didn't feel bad about them because of the prices I paid were like close to half off buying used.

I bought one rifle from Talon Tunes.

And that's all I'll buy from Tony. Won't make good on broken items. Won't return E-mails, will not return phone calls.

Not had a problem with any other dealers anything like I had with Tony.

Anyone that wants one on one care, try Charlie at Georgia Airguns. He stands behind his work,

Mike

Reactions: Jesse1972
Not long ago I purchased an FX Impact and Omega tank plus pellets over the phone with Tony. He told me the total, about $2950. I said OK and gave him my credit card #. Later the same day I got my calculator out and totaled the items up based on his advertised website prices. The amount was about $125. less than what he quoted me over the phone. I sent an Email asking him where the extra charges came from. I thought that was a reasonable question, apparently Tony did not. His Email reply was simply: That is the price, do you want to proceed or cancel the order. I opted to cancel the order. When a customer is spending nearly 3K I think they deserve an itemized invoice, especially when they are being charged more than the advertised price of merchandise.

Talon Tunes will not get any more of my business................

I went through the process of registering with this forum just to reply to this thread...I ordered an Air Force Talon P from Tony October of 2020. Here we are in June of 2021 - still no Talon P. I've called, emailed, texted and still no Talon. I suspect Covid-19 has impacted supply chain in various capacities, however, at this point I've concluded the man stole my money. Steer clear.

Reactions: rsfrid
Thanks for sharing,

I have interacting with him and you get the feeling that he really don't need your business, he acts like if he was doing you a favor. The OP really expressed very well what it is to interact with TT. Some people will keep buying, but let me tell you, it takes years to build a good reputation and just one night to destroy it. For someone that has to deal with customer, this is not good for business, I bought couple of small orders but after placed my big order and some interaction with the subject, that big order was cancelled, not a penny will go to TT any more. 

I love when your dealer wants you to feel you are taken care of. 

Good luck.... Those were Tony's word when I cancelled my order... Those are my words to you, time will tell

I ordered from TT online and had zero issues but when I called to order it was not pleasant. Trying to rush me off the phone because he was sooo busy; then why answer the phone. Rude interactions and finally came down to, so are you going to buy it? NO. 
Like was already stated, if you purchase from him and have zero issues good for you and keep on doing what you do but for those of us that have bad experiences or rude interactions why would I/we spend my money there. Orion has an awesome statement of it takes years to build your reputation and one interaction to ruin it. 
Maybe he's doing so well that he doesn't need all the business. This forum has helped greatly in letting me know where to look for items but I refuse to spend my money someplace where I don't feel respected or like I am a bother with a question.

I made a order for a Impact M3 from Talon Tunes over the phone and spoke to Tony. He is a little gruff but I had a good interaction with him. I was a little concerned after reading some people’s comments but he returned every call and text I sent him in a reasonable time. I received my M3 today and he delivered everything he promised. I would order from him again without any concerns.

Just dealt with this guy for the first time and would, without a doubt, say that it was clear that he felt I was a waste of his time. I have been around center fire rifles my entire life and worked on too many bolt and AR style guns to mention. I am also an avid diver and understand the ins and outs of working with 3k psi of pressure. With that, I purchased an upgraded valve for my air rifle. I called this Tony character because I simply wanted to ensure that there were no caliber specific issues that I would need to address. He answered the call (which is certainly good) and he was certainly knowledgeable. When I told him I had recently purchased a higher output valve for my Airforce Condor, he asked the name of the valve and, apparently because I was not immediately able to specifically recall the name that the manufacturer assigned to the valve (which turned out to simply be "super high output valve" his comment to me was "you purchased a part for your airgun and don't know what it was?" Like I was somehow ignorant because I had to take the 20 seconds it took to look up the name of the part to let him know.

I truly have no doubt that he knows his stuff. Arrogance is often accompanied by intelligence. In my book, it's no excuse. I had a simple question he resolved in 2 minutes or less on the phone, it was a reasonable question I believe anyone might ask under the circumstance and it was a minor inconvenience for him considering what I paid him and the level of instruction provided with the part (no instruction or paperwork of any kind). Not that much was needed, but questions may result when no instruction is provided and you are playing with 3k plus psi parts and this guy acted impatient and put upon. As if he were the person paying me! Trust the comments you see here. If you have a real problem with a guy like this, my guess is that it will be your problem, not his.

I have had similar experience with Tony, he’s not pleasant to deal with on the phone. I bought parts from him a few different times. The last time I bought a carbon bottle and it took weeks to ship. I did not get an update until I sent multiple emails and left several voicemails. I decided then not to buy from him again. I’m surprised so many people defend him on the forum, but I guess if you haven’t had a bad experience with him then it’s easy to overlook. 
Imagine the business he would have if he didn’t run off half his customers….