• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce Talon SS barrel change

Condor owner here, but I think I can get you started on answers.
Your Talon SS has a 12" barrel, correct?
The SS barrels are 12mm, but if you put an 18" barrel on, it won't be an SS anymore. I think either barrel will fit in your gun, but you may want an end cap ("barrel cover") with the right size hole for the barrel to poke out of, and that plastic cap is usually included with the barrel. The 12mm barrel will be a little lighter in weight?
The 18" barrel should just about extend to the end of your Talon frame, so there is no room to slip a moderator on any barrel protrusion, however, Talontunes has moderators that slip _inside_ the frame where that plastic end cap would go:
Read the descriptions as some describe installation on your Talon SS gun with an 18" barrel.
I have the 14" Condor version (so I can double the gun as a walking stick), and note they are very high quality, robust items.
Best of luck!
Mike

Ports, ports, ports, let's play with ports! I got my Condor a year ago and it had the newer .28" stem valve with a top hat or port called a "ring-loc", that adjusts with two little crescent wrenches, not the older kind with the tiny allen grub screw. It came with a seemingly large orifice, and other sizes are available:
I haven't played with those yet as I'm on CO2 in my backyard with that gun. I need an actual range to let that gun really fly.
I don't know about the valve spring as I haven't disassembled a valve (yet). I understand the newer Talons and Escapes may have a similar type of valve but a smaller orifice as their target power level is a little less.
I have a CO2 adaptor that has the older grub-screw port with a .25 valve stem, and the port itself is huge. The CO2 adaptor port with the grub screw does not play with the ring-loc kit orifices.
Older valves such as that may be able to play with Talontunes' "Quick-change top hat":
as it looks to be .25", but that is out of stock so I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers,
Mike

Reactions: shotmaniac
stem valve you mean that neck in front or back of the top hat?

by restrictor i meant that screw on the tank side, on my clone this has a through hole of 4mm, but the tophat opening is 6mm

20211222_112709.1648783561.jpg

Oh, cool!
Let me come up with names for the parts in your diagram so that I'm less confused. From left to right:
top hat (what I also called port), brass valve seat, hollow valve stem or "neck" with black valve poppet seal (?) on the end, 2 washers, valve spring, and valve body with... what would you call the brass bit at your arrow? A valve inlet? Inlet port?
At any rate, it was the valve stem that can be 0.25" or 0.28" in diameter in the OEM Airforce versions. One can just pull that part out of a OEM valve with the top hat attached. I've never seen beyond that.
This post shows some parts, but not the "inlet port" you're asking about:
I'm surprised there isn't a decent exploded view out there...
Mike

Oh, cool!
Let me come up with names for the parts in your diagram so that I'm less confused. From left to right:
top hat (what I also called port), brass valve seat, hollow valve stem or "neck" with black valve poppet seal (?) on the end, 2 washers, valve spring, and valve body with... what would you call the brass bit at your arrow? A valve inlet? Inlet port?
At any rate, it was the valve stem that can be 0.25" or 0.28" in diameter in the OEM Airforce versions. One can just pull that part out of a OEM valve with the top hat attached. I've never seen beyond that.
This post shows some parts, but not the "inlet port" you're asking about:
I'm surprised there isn't a decent exploded view out there...
Mike

the brass bit is what screws inside the inlet to hold the valve spring and also acts as restrictor by means of a through hole(like a restricted transfer port)
the valve stem on the clones i've seen from 8 to 9mm(for ..30 and .35 caliber clones)
some are tapered some not, it seems the critical part is the area directly in front of the stem holes, and the larger it is relative to top hat's front opening less dificult is to keep the valve open(measured in lbs)
like this one i got recently the valve stem is 8mm and top hat opening is 11mm so at 3000psi i calculated 205lbs force to open the valve(Thanks RSterne) not counting the spring, this thing has a 145g steel hammer and heavy brass breech

photo_2023-08-12_22-46-15.jpg

Reactions: Jesse1972
Ports, ports, ports, let's play with ports! I got my Condor a year ago and it had the newer .28" stem valve with a top hat or port called a "ring-loc", that adjusts with two little crescent wrenches, not the older kind with the tiny allen grub screw. It came with a seemingly large orifice, and other sizes are available:
I haven't played with those yet as I'm on CO2 in my backyard with that gun. I need an actual range to let that gun really fly.
I don't know about the valve spring as I haven't disassembled a valve (yet). I understand the newer Talons and Escapes may have a similar type of valve but a smaller orifice as their target power level is a little less.
I have a CO2 adaptor that has the older grub-screw port with a .25 valve stem, and the port itself is huge. The CO2 adaptor port with the grub screw does not play with the ring-loc kit orifices.
Older valves such as that may be able to play with Talontunes' "Quick-change top hat":
as it looks to be .25", but that is out of stock so I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers,
Mike
I know Condor has alot more of everything. I am shooting 709-692 FPS over a 30 shot string with Altaros reulator set at 125 BAR. Will shoot more 10 shot strings tomorrow. I am going to keep at it til the accuracy falls off, how many shots etc. I am keeping records of PSI, BAR, Power Wheel and FPS Averages. With out the regulator I have to chase the POI with the scope. I am hoping the regulator will fix that. Good luck with your mods. Bill