Tally to date, chippers and tree rats.

Here are the numbers since January 1, 2022 as simple as I can give them. Sorry, no pics as there didn't seem to be any interest...

Tree rats = 38 confirmed kills and 5 that I can't account for.

Chipmunks = 9 confirmed and 1 I can't account for.

Last year, I got 72 chipmunks and ~322 tree rats. The year before that I got ~75 chipmunks and ~370 tree rats.

Over the last 4 years, I have averaged nearly one tree rat per day and I only started zeroing in on the chipmunks 2 years ago.

If there is any interest, I will resume taking pics of the chipmunk kills. For legal reasons, I will not take nor post pics of the tree rats.

When I say I can't account for a kill, that means that I am certain I hit the pest, but could not find the dead body. I only count kills if I can find/view the dead body.

There are times when I simply miss. And it is 99.99% of the time 100% me, and not the fault of anything else BUT me!

Those shots are not considered in my kill count or "can't account for" numbers.

My favorite cigar: La Aroma De Cuba

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

Over 300 squirrels a year is very impressive!! If you haven’t help them along to the underworld your roof would of looks like Swiss cheese.

And when you consider that my lot is only 1/5 acre and I can only shoot in my small backyard and only a few places (with permission) outside of that, you can understand that I have a HUGE problem with tree rats and chippers! Yes, I know I have stopped damage from happening on my house, but still can't shoot in the front yard and they still make lots of divots in the yard there. (heavy sigh)

Nice!!

And good cigar...

Thanks! There are a few others that I really like, but the quality has gone down so badly that I stopped buying them.

I’ve only shot one chipper this year. And that was way back two months ago. I know there’s a few out there, but I have not been seeing them at all.

My squirrel numbers are also way way down.

pics are good. 

mike

Since I am retired, I spend a lot of time "stalking". This is the first year that my numbers have dropped significantly. However, 2022 is not over yet! LOL!

I'll try to remember to take some pics with the next chipper kill.

BTW, add 2 more confirmed chippers and one unconfirmed. No confirmed tree rat kills to add, but one unconfirmed. It fled into a neighbor's yard where I do not have permission to enter (privacy fence). Based on the noise their dogs made, I guess I should really count it as a kill. But, my rule is that I don't count anything I can't confirm at least visually.

Seems the tree rats know where to be to keep me from shooting because it isn't a safe shot. With the chippers, it is much more just waiting for them to be still long enough to take the shot. (smile)

Reactions: beerthief
Tally update:

Tree Rats = 45 confirmed and 7 unconfirmed

Chippers = 19 confirmed and 2 unconfirmed

Sorry, still haven't taken any pics of the chipper kills. Most have been DRT heart shots, but a few required follow up shots. I am not as accurate/precise as I once was... (sigh)

Well, this isn't a chipper kill, but it is my little buddy cottontail friend. I am trying to make sure the cats don't get it!

IMG_0873.1654484727.jpg

IMG_0880.1654484744.jpg

IMG_0878.1654484755.jpg

Update: as of June 14 the numbers are 4 more tree rats and 8 more chippers.

Totals for the year so far:

Tree rats 49 confirmed, 7 unconfirmed

Chipmunks 27 confirmed, 2 unconfirmed

It's been too hot to take pics. 95°F+ and 75° dew point or higher. Even the tree rats and chippers are staying out of sight during this heat/humidity.

p.s.

My little bunny buddy hasn't been seen since a heavy rain. Not sure if the little bunny drowned or was killed by the neighbor's dog or something else. Heavy sigh...

Last edited:
I rarely even see a squirrel anymore these days. Interesting that your squirrel numbers are higher.
Mike
Keep in mind what my numbers were for the last 4 years.

On another note, add one more Tree rat. I had the rare opportunity to shoot one at ~80 yards just a few moments ago!

There is a small window for that shot and I do have permission, but rarely see anything to shoot there. I guess I'll keep looking more often!

Longest kill shot on a pest for me EVER! DRT heart shot.

Add another Tree rat and chipper.

The chipper was a close shot at about 10-11 yards and the Tree rat was about 48 yards.

So that is 55 Tree rats and 29 chippers so far. Still WAY lower than the last 4 years!

I won't promise anything, but I will try to take picks of the next chipper kill. It is simply too hot and humid (and no rain here for several weeks!) to take the time for pics. Even if it does make me drip with sweat! :cry::mad:;)

Last edited:
71 tree rats at my house this year so far, still a long ways to go to the end of the year. Last year I counted 129, year before that 148, before that 178. I think that I am winning the war but never seems to end.
I may not catch up to you this year, but like you said, 2022 is long from over and I usually have more opportunities for shots after the leaves fall.

However, I made 2 more ~80 yard tree rat kills today! So, the first ~80 yard kill was NOT a fluke after all! :)

They seem to come in waves here. My numbers are now 58 tree rats and 29 chippers.

Last edited:
72 this morning and mine come in waves too, I can go several days no squirrels and then two or three show up. The problem that I have with mine is that they like to chew on my red cedar porch and would chew it down if I let them. Most of my shots are from 10 to 25 yards once in a great while I'll get one out to fifty yards. My absolute longest kill was 70 yards.

80-yard shots, that is excellent shooting Keep up the good work!

72 this morning and mine come in waves too, I can go several days no squirrels and then two or three show up. The problem that I have with mine is that they like to chew on my red cedar porch and would chew it down if I let them. Most of my shots are from 10 to 25 yards once in a great while I'll get one out to fifty yards. My absolute longest kill was 70 yards.

80-yard shots, that is excellent shooting Keep up the good work!
Yes, most of my shots have been in my PBR which is about 15-35 yards. Easy enough if the scope stays zeroed. However, lately I have had more very close and (for me) long shots. When I first started pesting I could get most of my shots from my "sniper window" and at first I could sit 12 feet back from it and still get the high numbers. Not now...

Now, I have to take it outside for most of my shots. I have various objects set up for rests in strategic areas. It is rare that I shoot without a rest of some sort and I have to be very careful that the shot is safe from causing any damage to neighboring property. I did get one tree rat recently at about 8 yards that was totally off-hand, but that is rare.

After I posted the last reply I had another chance for an ~80 yard shot. Missed. Oh well. (smile)

P.S.

What I use for pesting is a Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 in .177 shooting CPUM 10.5 pellets @ ~750fps using an Aim Sports Alpha 6 4.5-27x50 scope. Unless it is necessary because of lighting or extreme closeness, the scope usually stays at 27 power.

So, given the low velocity I shoot, at 80 yards I am nearly off the scale for this scope's reticle hash marks and it is NOT good for turret clicking for range. Once I get it zeroed I don't touch it unless I start missing a lot. Then quite often, the scope has shifted and needs to be re-zeroed, but while it stays zeroed it isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Update:

No chippers to shoot at, but added a few Tree rats. Confirmed Tree rat count is now 61.

No more ~75-80 yard shots, but that is only a matter of time as I see them often in that narrow window, but simply haven't been able to set up fast enough before they scamper. There is a fruit tree (pear I think) that is drawing them in to that location.

These last 6 were nearly all within my PBR. Almost all were DRT heart shots with the exception of one (the ~45 yard shot) that ran about 30 feet before expiring. Shots/kills ranged from ~20 to ~45 yards.

Also, add one more "unconfirmed" Tree rat. That one was a good hit (I could tell by how it sounded), but it crawled off (to private property) where I could not confirm the kill.

Pest Kill count for 2022 so far:

Tree rats 61 confirmed and 8 unconfirmed kills.
Chipmunks 29 confirmed and 2 unconfirmed kills.

Last edited:
Missed my ONLY shot at a chipper at 20 yards. So, I got out the sighting targets and checked zero @~28 yards.

I think the scope/zero is OK, but for some reason I am no longer getting the 1 MOA groups. Fliers all over the place and no I did not just start a new tin/box of pellets.

So... I will be working on finding out why my groups suck so much all of a sudden.

On the bright side, at least this time it isn't me that is the problem. (chuckle/sigh)

Here are the numbers since January 1, 2022 as simple as I can give them. Sorry, no pics as there didn't seem to be any interest...

Tree rats = 38 confirmed kills and 5 that I can't account for.

Chipmunks = 9 confirmed and 1 I can't account for.

Last year, I got 72 chipmunks and ~322 tree rats. The year before that I got ~75 chipmunks and ~370 tree rats.

Over the last 4 years, I have averaged nearly one tree rat per day and I only started zeroing in on the chipmunks 2 years ago.

If there is any interest, I will resume taking pics of the chipmunk kills. For legal reasons, I will not take nor post pics of the tree rats.

When I say I can't account for a kill, that means that I am certain I hit the pest, but could not find the dead body. I only count kills if I can find/view the dead body.

There are times when I simply miss. And it is 99.99% of the time 100% me, and not the fault of anything else BUT me!

Those shots are not considered in my kill count or "can't account for" numbers.

My favorite cigar: La Aroma De Cuba
Well, at least I thought I was being honest about that. Looks like a large part of the problem has been the pellets all along.

We'll see when my new batch of pellets arrives. Damn! It is starting to get expensive! (chuckle/sigh)

Reactions: beerthief