Tally to date, chippers and tree rats.

Well, I got lucky yesterday. Got 2 tree rats at ~40 yards from the walnut tree across the alley with the DAR.

I say I was lucky because today I tried to shoot some walnuts out of that tree at the same range and missed by 2 inches with both shots.

So, I came inside and took at few shots at 10 meters. Yep, all over the place. Pellet was the JSB/FX 10.3 .177.

Last time I tested at 34 yards, I was getting OK groups, but still not 1 MOA or less, but 2 inches at 40 yards is unacceptable.

I am beginning to wonder if the barrel on this .177 DAR is capable of consistent 1 MOA with ANY pellet. (heavy sigh)

Oh well, I still haven't tried the "super heavy" pellets available in .177... more $$$ (chuckle/sigh)

Oh, that makes :

70 tree rats confirmed and 8 unconfirmed.

30 chipmunks confirmed and 2 unconfirmed.

I have definitely been successful at reducing the pests in the last 4 years. (smile)

Last edited:
Score Board
RB 90
Sqwirls 0
I guess RB means rabbits? Sorry if I am misunderstanding "RB".

The cottontails I have are my friends, I feed them and they generally accept me. I don't shoot them and they don't do any damage.

Many of them, I have given names.

If I were to target them, I guess I couldn't take 90, but since I don't consider them pests... I will not target them unless the SHTF and I need them for food.

To each their own I guess.

RB is my initials; Sqwirls = squirrels I was just trying to be funny. I don't target rabbits there are very few rabbits around my place. I have seen one a few times this year and that's about it. There were a couple of young ones early in the summer, but they seem to be gone.
Face palm... I should have gotten it the first time! (embarrassed chuckle)

I knew what Sqwirls meant... Tree Rats! (grin)

Tally to date:

Tree rats:
75 confirmed
8 unconfirmed

Chipmunks:
30 Confirmed
2 Unconfirmed

Still quite low considering the last 4 years. (See OP)

Also, still working on inconsistent accuracy from both guns in my signature.
Only had one shot at a tree rat since the update above, and I nailed it with a heart shot at ~40 yards with the DAR.

Have seen 2 chippers, but never even had a chance for a shot.

So the numbers have changed very little:

As of August 20th, 2022 (per my records)

76 confirmed
8 unconfirmed

Chipmunks:
30 Confirmed
2 Unconfirmed

Only had one shot at a tree rat since the update above, and I nailed it with a heart shot at ~40 yards with the DAR.

Have seen 2 chippers, but never even had a chance for a shot.

So the numbers have changed very little:

As of August 20th, 2022 (per my records)

76 confirmed
8 unconfirmed

Chipmunks:
30 Confirmed
2 Unconfirmed
New tally as of September 3, 2022

Tree rats: 80 confirmed
8 unconfirmed

No change in the chipper count, although I have seen 2 scurrying about. They just haven't stopped long enough for a shot and they aren't burrowed in my yard.

Add 1 rat. (smile... I think...)

Found 5 dead rats in the backyard around the same time and the poison I keep in a rat box on top of the wood pile was mostly consumed.

Since I am not getting many shots, I am considering taking down the rat (poison) box and simply watching the feed I put down for the rabbits and birds.

However, that will mean staying up or getting up at all times of the night to check for a shot... and I am sleeping well lately... so... I probably will simply keep refilly the poison blocks in the rat box and be happy that I get ANY targets lately. (grin)

Been strangely absent of squirrels or chipmunks in my area this year. Saw only one chipmunk that I never got a shot at. Other years they're over running and getting into my siding.
Well, one factor (other than my war on the tree rats for the last 4+ years) is that my next door neighbor cut down a huge Pecan tree last year. I had already experienced one tree falling on my house from his property because his son (the one that burglarized me) had burned it at a hollow in the trunk. So, when my neighbor had a leak in his water line and cut some of the huge roots of that Pecan tree which made it "for sure" that if it fell it would land squarely on my house, I said something to him about it. 6 months later he had it cut down.

Oh well, I'd rather have fewer tree rat targets than a 70+foot tall tree crushing my house and possibly me as it would have hit my bedroom.

Anyway, other than that, I know I have made a difference here. My front yard no longer looks like a moonscape with all the craters like it did before I started targeting the tree rats.

Also, I no longer (that war started over 2+ years ago) have chipmunks in my crawlspace as I did when I bought this house 5 years ago.

It has been fun and become an obsession, but I understand the downside of success in pesting and accept it. (chuckle)

Now most of my shots come from 40 yards or further, where... when I first started, nearly all my shots were within 25 yards.

Success has its rewards and also its downside. (smile)

Since it's a new month I thought that I would update my count, 94 tree rats for the year. It has really slowed down the last month or so but just yesterday I saw two had moved into my neighbor's front yard and another one moved into the same neighbors back yard, huge pin oak trees in each yard. It's just a matter of time before they make their way over to my property and start chewing on my stuff.

Reactions: BackStop
Since it's a new month I thought that I would update my count, 94 tree rats for the year. It has really slowed down the last month or so but just yesterday I saw two had moved into my neighbor's front yard and another one moved into the same neighbors back yard, huge pin oak trees in each yard. It's just a matter of time before they make their way over to my property and start chewing on my stuff.

A HUGE oak tree recently fell from one of my neighbor's yards on top of another neighbor's house. Long story there, but for the purpose of this forum, suffice to say that there goes another "attractant" for tree rats.

I have spent the last few days helping my neighbor. He has no money and the tree was on "city right of way", but they (the city) won't do anything for my neighbor and the people who own the property knew the tree was dead/dying but would not call the city to have it cut because they are "tree huggers". So much for their claim to be good "religious reference"....

Anyway, I can't do much to help, but I am doing all I can.

p.s.

I don't think I will catch up with you, but I am seeing a few more tree rats recently. Just not where I have a safe shot.

Last edited:
I got the one out back she made the mistake of crossing the line! It's funny as I have watched a lot of squirrels over the years and figured that this one was a female just by the way she acted. There was a lot of leaf cuttings laying on the ground, nest building and she never got very far from the tree and back up the tree at the slightest noise or movement. Males seem a lot more aggressive always chasing around and checking out new territory probably looking for females, just guessing? One thing that I have seen is that if three or four squirrels move into the area and you get lucky and shoot the female first the others will often leave. The two that were out front on the neighbor's tree seem to have moved on, I hope! So, the count is now up to 95. Keep up the good work we will win this war yet!

Reactions: BackStop
I got the one out back she made the mistake of crossing the line! It's funny as I have watched a lot of squirrels over the years and figured that this one was a female just by the way she acted. There was a lot of leaf cuttings laying on the ground, nest building and she never got very far from the tree and back up the tree at the slightest noise or movement. Males seem a lot more aggressive always chasing around and checking out new territory probably looking for females, just guessing? One thing that I have seen is that if three or four squirrels move into the area and you get lucky and shoot the female first the others will often leave. The two that were out front on the neighbor's tree seem to have moved on, I hope! So, the count is now up to 95. Keep up the good work we will win this war yet!
Although I have seen the "cuttings" on the ground and figured they were from nest making, I have never been able to tell a female from a male until I can inspect the carcass.

I'll try to keep your observations in mind from now on, but it will make little difference. Tree rats don't get a pass on my property regardless of age or sex. I don't discriminate! (grin)

When I have a safe shot, I take it.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited:
New tally as of September 3, 2022

Tree rats: 80 confirmed
8 unconfirmed

No change in the chipper count, although I have seen 2 scurrying about. They just haven't stopped long enough for a shot and they aren't burrowed in my yard.

Add 1 rat. (smile... I think...)

Found 5 dead rats in the backyard around the same time and the poison I keep in a rat box on top of the wood pile was mostly consumed.

Since I am not getting many shots, I am considering taking down the rat (poison) box and simply watching the feed I put down for the rabbits and birds.

However, that will mean staying up or getting up at all times of the night to check for a shot... and I am sleeping well lately... so... I probably will simply keep refilly the poison blocks in the rat box and be happy that I get ANY targets lately. (grin)
A HUGE oak tree recently fell from one of my neighbor's yards on top of another neighbor's house. Long story there, but for the purpose of this forum, suffice to say that there goes another "attractant" for tree rats.

I have spent the last few days helping my neighbor. He has no money and the tree was on "city right of way", but they (the city) won't do anything for my neighbor and the people who own the property knew the tree was dead/dying but would not call the city to have it cut because they are "tree huggers". So much for their claim to be good "religious reference"....

Anyway, I can't do much to help, but I am doing all I can.

p.s.

I don't think I will catch up with you, but I am seeing a few more tree rats recently. Just not where I have a safe shot.

I have only added 1 tree rat to the tally since the last update and that one was taken on the 9th of September.

So...

81 confirmed and 8 unconfirmed tree rats.

I have seen several tree rats and a couple of chippers, but simply haven't had a safe shot and I am still working on getting the Fortitude and DAR to shoot at least MOA consistently. (sigh)

Also got stung by a honey bee while helping with the huge oak tree (large hive and honeycombs inside a large limb) that fell on my neighbor's house. Never have been allergic, but as far as I can tell, it is what caused me to have raging diarrhea for about a week. Not other pain or problems. Been staying VERY close to the bathroom for that time, but it seems to have passed now... thankfully! (WHEW!) (smile)