Tally to date, chippers and tree rats.

I know nobody believes anything without pictures... so...

The top target is the Akela .177, 6 shots at ~28 yards
Middle target is the Fortitude .177, 6 shots at ~28 yards
Bottom target is 3 shots each of Akela and Fortitude.

The shots outside of the red bullseye were from testing slugs. All of the shots in the red were with FX 10.3 pellets in both guns @ ~28 yards.

IMG_1052.jpg

Not bad if I say so myself.

All my best!

Kerry

Having no pesting shots for days on end, the last kills (4 tree rats) was on January 27 and 1 tree rat on the 30th, I have taken to shooting targets from time to time.

In my last post, those shots were taken at night with the flood lights in my back yard. At 28 yards, they don't exactly light up the target. All of those shots were taken last night/this morning but I was not satisfied. I still wanted to shoot.

So, I put out the same box, but used the other side with a new target just to make sure that I wasn't fooling myself. These are supposed to be "splatter" targets and the first roll of them did well. The second roll never has "splattered". All of these targets have 1/2 inch red bulls.

Anyway... here is another 6 shots from the Akela .177 using FX 10.3 pellets at ~28 yards at night. Still not bad at all! (smile)

IMG_1054.jpg

Last edited:
@BackStop At 28 yards I see why you aren't having many pests to knockoff.

It used to be that most of my pesting shots were 28 yards or closer. For at least the last year, a lot of my kills have been between 36 yards and 96 yards.

I am proud of those shots from 48-96 yards and the long range shots made me appreciate having a good scope level and having the Akela which can shoot at higher fps than the Fortitude with accuracy and precision. Not to mention that I LIKE that it does NOT have a regulator! (smile)

Thanks for the reply!

All my best!

Kerry

I know a picture can't do it justice, but here is the best I could do to show how dark it is when I shoot at night with my flood lights...

IMG_1060.jpg

My target is usually at the center of this pic at my wooden "privacy fence" and the blue light is about 110 yards away and not near my yard.

All of my recent pics of targets I shot were at night under these conditions and the scopes were at max zoom.

To shoot at 28 yards, I have to sit as far back inside my house as I can, about 12 feet/4 yards.

I'll try to remember to take a pic in the daylight for comparison. Remind me if I forget.

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
Waiting for daylight and hoping for a pesting shot. Unusual for me to be up all night and still feel good, so I am going to try and take advantage of it. (smile)

Now, if only the tree rats will oblige and show up where I can make a safe shot. I'll probably be in bed by no later than 10am since most tree rat activity I see this time of year is between daylight and about 9-10am. First light about 6:27am and sunrise about 6:54am.

Wish me luck! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: rhbrink
I know a picture can't do it justice, but here is the best I could do to show how dark it is when I shoot at night with my flood lights...

View attachment 421991

My target is usually at the center of this pic at my wooden "privacy fence" and the blue light is about 110 yards away and not near my yard.

All of my recent pics of targets I shot were at night under these conditions and the scopes were at max zoom.

To shoot at 28 yards, I have to sit as far back inside my house as I can, about 12 feet/4 yards.

I'll try to remember to take a pic in the daylight for comparison. Remind me if I forget.

All my best!

Kerry
Wow! This pic made me realize that my flip-phone camera REALLY sucks!

IMG_1069.jpg

Waiting for daylight and hoping for a pesting shot. Unusual for me to be up all night and still feel good, so I am going to try and take advantage of it. (smile)

Now, if only the tree rats will oblige and show up where I can make a safe shot. I'll probably be in bed by no later than 10am since most tree rat activity I see this time of year is between daylight and about 9-10am. First light about 6:27am and sunrise about 6:54am.

Wish me luck! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry
@rhbrink, thanks for the upvote. Sadly, I had no opportunities for pesting shots and even with a little caffeine, I am too tired to continue.

Maybe tomorrow or this afternoon if I wake up in time! (smile)

I have to take it a day at a time lately. Which is better than it has been.

At least for now it isn't hour to hour or minute to minute as it has been.

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

Also, the wind has come up to about 15mph steady out of the North with gusts up to 25mph, so even close shots would be a crap shoot.

Last edited:
And I thought that I was the only one left with a flip phone! I ended up with 115 kills and no squirrels in sight. Stay strong and the very best wishes for the New Year!

Even a flip-phone tracks the user too much, let alone a "smart" phone. People have given up their right to privacy for "convenience".

Once you give up one RIGHT, you set yourself up to be coerced into doing things you would SWEAR you would never do.

Look at 1929/33-1945. The exact same thing is happening now. Some will know and others will be Baa...Baah!

Last edited:
First update for 2024.

Finally got one tree rat at ~49 yards today with the Akela .177.

It took 2 shots, but the second shot found the mark and it was DRT by the time I was able to get to it.

This is the ONLY opportunity I have had for a pesting shot this year.

DAR is still dead and my health isn't making me want to try and fix it. AGAIN!!!

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
First update for 2024.

Finally got one tree rat at ~49 yards today with the Akela .177.

It took 2 shots, but the second shot found the mark and it was DRT by the time I was able to get to it.

This is the ONLY opportunity I have had for a pesting shot this year.

DAR is still dead and my health isn't making me want to try and fix it.

All my best!

Kerry
Shooting FX 10.3s I presume?

So far 2024 hasn't been good for me. Let alone that I have only taken 4 tree rats as I write this, but my health is worse. Trouble breathing at times, even though I can draw breath, I feel like I am suffocating at times.

For now, I am back to looking at life from day to day, but the times I look at it from second to second are becoming more numerous.

Anyway, my tally is 4 tree rats to date. Not all clean kills, but most were good shots at the heart. Ranges were from 23 to 63 yards using both the Akela and Fortitude with the Akela making all of the longer shots.

I still enjoy reading AGN (when NOT logged in) and wish I could find the thread of another person who is experiencing the problems I have when logged in, but I was too sick to post when I first saw that thread and now I can't find it. AGN never has solved the problem for me and when I tried to get help, all I got from the forum was derision and persecution for saying anything negative about AGN.

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
Just realized that I have not updated this thread for a while. No wonder. I can only add one tree rat to the tally as I write this.

So, for 2024 that is only 5 tree rats. 5 years ago I would have already taken between 35 to 50... no kidding.

Yeah, I am getting very bored without having pesting shots and have taken to shooting targets inside at 10m and a cinder block at ~28 yards from time to time, but for me... shooting targets just doesn't "crank my tractor" other than making sure that the gun is shooting accurately/precisely. Which I guess is a good ritual to have.

However, I got into PCPs to pest and now (at least until Spring) I am left without legitimate targets. Even the 96 yard possibilities are nil, which isn't really a surprise.

Oh well... yet another lament of a successful pester. (smile)

Until the next time, when I hope I have something of substance to post... maybe even pics! But don't hold your breath. (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry

p.s. Apparently, I had a mild heart attack recently. I could suck air, but felt like I was suffocating. Feel better now, but I don't trust ANY doctors since COVID. Because of AGN rules I can't say more than that.

Last edited:
I've just managed to shoot three tree rats so far this year. I have seen a couple more here and there, but they seem to be passing through. In about a month in my area anyway there will be young ones born and soon they will be out and about looking for somebody's house to chew on.

Have Faith and stay strong!

RB
I am thinking along the same lines. However, this is the slowest start I have had for tree rats since I started pesting about 6 years ago.

Actually, I don't even SEE any these days, let alone have a safe shot. As I have said before, I chalk it up to being very efficient for the last 6 years.

Also, I check for pesting shots multiple times in a day starting at daylight. So I know I am not missing many chances, if any. (smile)

Thanks for the reply!

Daylight is coming soon, but it is raining and there is wind so I doubt I am going to have many, if any chances for the next few days.

Looking forward to chipmunk season so I can see how the cheap ($13.58+tax) tripod works out with the Fortitude! I have gotten used to it and figured out how to make it stable for the short shots. Still not as stable as the heavier BOG DG, but at less than $15, I am very happy!

All my best!

Kerry