• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Talk some sense into me!

I also want a .177 pcp. I want something cheap like a Chief. I somehow ended up with a lot of .177 ammo and would like to see what the fuss is about.
in other words I am no hekp at all.
Only a warning, I've been waiting 4 months for a replacement part, you may want to consider a crosman maximus, about same price.

Don't rule out a pistol as your first .177. I went a little crazy and got a 1701P recently and I love it. It is unregulated but I get 40-50 shots per fill (2900PSI). The reservoir is tiny and fills with less than 20 strokes on the hand pump. I've also got a CO2 powered CP-M1 pistol in .177. Similar power level and shot count. There are tons of other options out there, from budget to luxury and everything in between.

Reactions: L.Leon
A 20+ fpe .177 is a hoot. My Stoeger Bullshark loves 10.3 Knockouts. It shoots them close to 1000 fps and expansion is great. A tin of 500 from Trenier is less than some name brand pellets too.

I've got a Hatsan Flash sitting around and it might be time to pull it out and crank the power up.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
I think i have figured out why so many .25 /.30/.357 high power rifles are on the classified's . people must be realizing how useful and much fun .177 is .
I believe it’s because they lose sight as to why they came to Airguns in the first place. Lower power shooting that can still get it done on the critters they are after. In many pesting/hunting instances you have to treat their usage as you would a rimfire. So you lose the “advantage“ of using an airgun. As for .177? An excellent caliber, but I have a hard time handling them. So I prefer .22s for handling and shooting. To the OP, go for it…

I believe it’s because they lose sight as to why they came to Airguns in the first place. Lower power shooting that can still get it done on the critters they are after. In many pesting/hunting instances you have to treat their usage as you would a rimfire. So you lose the “advantage“ of using an airgun. As for .177? An excellent caliber, but I have a hard time handling them. So I prefer .22s for handling and shooting. To the OP, go for it…
do not try .25 , i bought an Edgun and it came in .25 used. so bought a tin of .25( Very Easy to handle ) to make sure everything worked ok . , changed the barrel to .177

A spider gun?! Why didn't I think of that. My wife hates spiders...she may buy off on the spider gun thing...

Justin
I don’t have to justify my purchases to anyone but my bank account. But I still like to justify them. Over the years it went like this. I need this gun for a squirrel gun, a small bird gun, a large bird gun, a far away bird gun, a windy day squirrel gun, a larger critter gun, a long distance gun, a shorter distance high power gun, a shooting at dads house gun, a long range pistol, a short range pistol, a 14.3 volume shooting gun, a 15.89 volume shooting gun, and so on. After running out of justifications, I guess out of desperation I switched to insects The first spider gun was actually a really high quality air soft pistol with premium ammo. A bunch of screaming women in the beach house was a good excuse for me to establish new hunting grounds under the beach house.

• Haha
Reactions: tywynn
I don’t have to justify my purchases to anyone but my bank account. But I still like to justify them. Over the years it went like this. I need this gun for a squirrel gun, a small bird gun, a large bird gun, a far away bird gun, a windy day squirrel gun, a larger critter gun, a long distance gun, a shorter distance high power gun, a shooting at dads house gun, a long range pistol, a short range pistol, a 14.3 volume shooting gun, a 15.89 volume shooting gun, and so on. After running out of justifications, I guess out of desperation I switched to insects The first spider gun was actually a really high quality air soft pistol with premium ammo. A bunch of screaming women in the beach house was a good excuse for me to establish new hunting grounds under the beach house.
I don't need to justify either. I just need to know if a semi auto .177 is enough gun for Murder Hornets!!!??? They're in Oregon/Washington and I want to be prepared!

Reactions: tywynn
LMAO! I almost snotted my coffee on that one.

In fairness to the wife, she could give a rat’s arse about what I buy. At last count, she has about 10 Singer Featherweight sewing machines, vastly outnumbering the number of air rifles I have. As I see it, I’m playing catch-up, and am owed a few air guns!

Justin

The good thing about hunting insects is they are like mice and rats, zero remorse for shooting them. The only exception would be a honey bee. My .177’s don’t get shot much but I like having them. Any slight breeze is the calibers worst enemy. But it just depends on your environment. My dad, because of where he lives is almost exclusively shooting a .177. Windy, breezy or not.