Talk me out of this.

Hi everybody!
I am new to the forum and wanted to share what I am doing. After reading many threads, I have decided to buy a Weihrauch HW50. I didn’t want to spend as much, but I also wanted reliability and accuracy. I hope to pair it with a Hawke scope. It will primarily be used for plinking with my boys, but also an occasional small game hunt. I am leaning toward a .177 caliber. The other rifles we own are .177, so I figured we should keep it the same. I never owned a .22 air rifle, so I really have no experience hunting with one to know whether it is better for hunting. From what I read, it seems the gun is up to the task of squirrel, rabbit, and birds. That is, if I do my part. 
I initially wanted to go with a Hatsan 95. The cost of 165 for it was tempting, but the risk of quality and customer service made me discard that idea.

So, can you see any reason I should rethink my decision? I would appreciate the wisdom of the shooters here!

Thanks

Hello I have had 2 Hatsans neither were that model (1 had to be repaired under warranty) and currently have several HWs. The HWs are a much better quality I ended up picking up a very old used R7 for my daughter and no regrets. The HWs just shoot, and shoot. If the price difference is not a deciding factor I would go wing the HW your sons kids will still be shooting that rifle. Well best of luck in what you decide to buy Eric

Definitely should go with the HW. I got a hw50s in 22 more for plinking and closer targets. I expected it to feel like it had less power, but it's got some punch. I feel 177 would more suited to hunting, though. Make sure to get something better than the vantage scope, though. They may be better made now, but at one point we're not rated for spring rifles. Double check on that.

Thanks guys. 
I checked out that Diana. Nice price for the gun, but not quite what I was looking for.

Definitely should go with the HW. I got a hw50s in 22 more for oli king and closer targets. I feel 177 would more suited to hunting. Make sure to get some tho g better than the vantage scope, though. They may be better made now, but at one point we're not rated for spring rifles. Double check on that.

Any thoughts on scope? I was looking at Hawke because I thought they were ok for spring rifles. No? I guess I will research some more.

Thanks guys. 
I checked out that Diana. Nice price for the gun, but not quite what I was looking for.

Definitely should go with the HW. I got a hw50s in 22 more for plinking and closer targets. I feel 177 would more suited to hunting. Make sure to get some thing better than the vantage scope, though. They may be better made now, but at one point we're not rated for spring rifles. Double check on that.

Any thoughts on scope? I was looking at Hawke because I thought they were ok for spring rifles. No? I guess I will research some more.

If you want something basic, I'd suggest getting on ebay and finding a nikon shotgun scope. I have one that's a 3-9 power, very clear image. Some people will argue that normal gun scopes aren't built to withstand the reverse recoil of a spring rifle, but I've actually used the nikon on mine for quite a while with no problems, and it ran me about $100

Ok so I wanted to tell you that if you are hunting a 22 is definitely a force multiplier. However that only really manifests in higher power rifles. The reason being is that the hw50 is a lower powered springer...... Which is good! It's going to be very accurate compared to magnum springers which is absolutely way more important than power in hunting rabbits and squirrel sized animals. A 177 to the vitals will absolutely put a rabbit down even at 5 fpe or even lower! Accuracy is king. Also the 177 will be flatter shooting and reach out farther with that rifle. However if you dip into pcp airguns and you are able to put a heavy 22 cal pellet out of the muzzle at 850 fps you are going to get much longer shots at the same game and it will hit harder. What that really means to you depends on your skill and the size of the animal. I would not hesitate to kill a raccoon for example with a high power 22 at 40 yards but I just don't ever take shots at raccoons with a 177 regardless of range. With the hw50 I'd stay inside 35 yards with rat, squirrel, and rabbit. That's just me if I had a 22 cal pcp making 30 fpe I'd change that range to 55 or so depending on skill and experience. Hope this helps. That hw gun is great! You should get it. I'm only explaining that it has limits. If you get it in 22 it's going to increase the limits of range compared to 177 but it will hit harder..... Not really sure how much that makes a difference if you hit the kill zone. Generally a kill shot is a kill shot in my experience. The higher calibers always factor in to my range and animal size when it comes to hunting. Hope this helps. 

Thanks guys. 

Definitely should go with the HW. I got a hw50s in 22 more for oli king and closer targets. I feel 177 would more suited to hunting. Make sure to get some tho g better than the vantage scope, though. They may be better made now, but at one point we're not rated for spring rifles. Double check on that.

The Hawke Vantage is supposed to be rated for springers up to 12 fpe. The Hawke Airmax are supposed to be rated for higher power springers. Personally I’d just go with the Hawke Airmax for all springers. I’m not into the springer rifles so much but have several Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scopes and they’re decent scopes. Simple mil dot etched glass reticle. Focus down to 10 yards. Nothing fancy about them. Believe you can get an illuminated reticle as well but none of mine are though.

Ok so I wanted to tell you that if you are hunting a 22 is definitely a force multiplier. However that only really manifests in higher power rifles. The reason being is that the hw50 is a lower powered springer...... Which is good! It's going to be very accurate compared to magnum springers which is absolutely way more important than power in hunting rabbits and squirrel sized animals. A 177 to the vitals will absolutely put a rabbit down even at 5 fpe or even lower! Accuracy is king. Also the 177 will be flatter shooting and reach out farther with that rifle. However if you dip into pcp airguns and you are able to put a heavy 22 cal pellet out of the muzzle at 850 fps you are going to get much longer shots at the same game and it will hit harder. What that really means to you depends on your skill and the size of the animal. I would not hesitate to kill a raccoon for example with a high power 22 at 40 yards but I just don't ever take shots at raccoons with a 177 regardless of range. With the hw50 I'd stay inside 35 yards with rat, squirrel, and rabbit. That's just me if I had a 22 cal pcp making 30 fpe I'd change that range to 55 or so depending on skill and experience. Hope this helps. That hw gun is great! You should get it. I'm only explaining that it has limits. If you get it in 22 it's going to increase the limits of range compared to 177 but it will hit harder..... Not really sure how much that makes a difference if you hit the kill zone. Generally a kill shot is a kill shot in my experience. The higher calibers always factor in to my range and animal size when it comes to hunting. Hope this helps.

I have looked into pcp. Cost, for a quality rifle, is one reason I back away from them. Ease and simplicity is why I love break barrels. A gun and a tin. Simple. I get it though. The range and capabilities of a pcp most always outdo springers. Who knows, when retirement hits, (soon), maybe...

I have all three calibers of the HW50 - .177, .20, .22, out of the three the .22 is my favorite for hunting.

For paper I like all three equally. I do shoot the .22 better all around because it is the least hold sensitive springer I have ever shot.

I can pick it up after not shooting it for a month and the first shot is dead on, this has more to do with the particular gun than the caliber I think.

Go to Dvor, sign up and get a Hawke Airmax scope, can't beat the prices.

Ok here goes me trying to talk you out of the HW . Yeah no I can't do it, if you can afford it get it because like others have said the quality will be there years after you put the hatsan in the corner. If it were me I would eventually get one for each son to pass down when they reach a point to care for and respect a gun of that quality and with luck you will get to enjoy shooting them with your grandchildren one day also.