Tale of two 54's

Here is another shootout, hope it doesn't violate any rules. This time it is my fairly new Diana 54 up against my 70's vintage Anschutz 54 Sporter at 25 and 50 yards. After trying every pellet I could get my hands on, I ended up back with the JSB 18.1 grain pellets on the Diana. I was hoping something lighter might work out, but the gun just likes the heavier JSBs. I used mid-grade ammo in the Annie, but even that is absurdly expensive these days. What was the purpose? Just to have some fun, keep it interesting, and maybe a bit of a reality check.

P9040209.jpg

P9040211.jpg

P9040210.jpg

The most interesting thing here is how well the Diana did at 50 yards. If only I hadn't bobbled that one shot! I didn't feel like my shooting did justice to the Annie, so I tried another 10 shot group at 50 yards and squeeked in under an inch at 0.98". Just not my day with that rifle I guess.

And this explains why my airguns get so much more use than my rimfires. Even the springers can hold their own in the accuracy department, and pellets cost far less than even the bargain target 22 ammo these days. Still, I do have a soft spot for a fine rimfire, and bring one out occasionally to practice shooting at longer distances or on windy days.

Any other rimfire shooters out there in airgun land?

How difficult you find cocking the Diana 54 seems to depend on which position you are shooting from. From my sitting position I don't find it difficult at all, actually easier in some ways than dealing with a break barrel. From the bench I find it awkward, and from standing really awkward. It is a powerful springer, but that long cocking arm provides a lot of leverage, however at the expense of travel. With the barrel pointed up I have to swing the rifle to the left when cocking to keep the cocking arm from traveling past horizontal.

I recently bought another D54. I sold the first one to trade up to an HW97K. But like I said, I now own another one. The newer rifle turned out to be a sub 12 FTLBS. rifle after taking a trip to Motorhead. Scott used the D48 spring to upgrade, and now she is back at work. I really have not found the best pellet, but a work in session.

Diana 54 Air King.jpg

Michigander - That is some great shooting off sticks! You really did your guns justice! (I'm thinking squirrels fear the mention of your name. :)).
I had a Diana 460 .22 for a while that also loved those 18gr pellets, I think it's just "in the blood" for those magnum guns. The Diana 52 & 54 is just a little long for me in the stock, but I currently have a Diana 48 .177 that I'm hoping to fit with a Bullseye scope mount. It will be interesting to see what it can pull off at 50.

I do hunt squirrels! But where I like to hunt it is long walk to the oaks, and lugging that enormous Diana several miles is not my idea of fun. I plan to take the Anschutz 54 this year. Rabbits are another story. I have a pretty good population on my own property and hope to use the Diana bag a couple. Noisy cocking though. We'll have to see how it works out.

Here is another shootout, hope it doesn't violate any rules. This time it is my fairly new Diana 54 up against my 70's vintage Anschutz 54 Sporter at 25 and 50 yards. After trying every pellet I could get my hands on, I ended up back with the JSB 18.1 grain pellets on the Diana. I was hoping something lighter might work out, but the gun just likes the heavier JSBs. I used mid-grade ammo in the Annie, but even that is absurdly expensive these days. What was the purpose? Just to have some fun, keep it interesting, and maybe a bit of a reality check.

View attachment 287488

View attachment 287489

View attachment 287490

The most interesting thing here is how well the Diana did at 50 yards. If only I hadn't bobbled that one shot! I didn't feel like my shooting did justice to the Annie, so I tried another 10 shot group at 50 yards and squeeked in under an inch at 0.98". Just not my day with that rifle I guess.

And this explains why my airguns get so much more use than my rimfires. Even the springers can hold their own in the accuracy department, and pellets cost far less than even the bargain target 22 ammo these days. Still, I do have a soft spot for a fine rimfire, and bring one out occasionally to practice shooting at longer distances or on windy days.

Any other rimfire shooters out there in airgun land?
This is why I shoot my airguns more than my firearms. I've spent days at the range with both firearms and springers. Some guys look at me sideways, but nobody says anything disparaging. I've had quite a few questions, and I'm happy to answer..

I have better ammo of course, but that 54 Sporter does well with the SK Standard thankfully. Groups hover around 1" at 100 from prone or bench when the wind cooperates. You can only shoot as well as you can hold, and I just wasn't as steady that day as with the heavier Diana.
Sporters are a trick to drive, for sure.