• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tale of old and new!

I have decided that my first real air rifle will be a Springer. It makes the best sense to me.

​Now, I have a lead in a 1971 model FWB 300s with walnut stock, all original, 95% bluing in tact, and newly gone through action with new seals. I can get it for $450 to my door.

​Or I can pick up a new Walther LGV Master Pro in either the Euro power rating or the higher one for the same cost.

​Or I can pick up a Weihrauch HW80 or HW97k for $350 (both new).

​I haven't shot any of these rifles, and haven't found anyone relatively close that have them. So, what's your advice? Realistically, only target shooting with me and my 13 year old daughter. I must admit that I'm fascinated by the old 300s side cocker, but I'm 6'4 and 240#. Will that rifle be too small for me?

chris

"robinsoncr"I have decided that my first real air rifle will be a Springer. It makes the best sense to me.

​Now, I have a lead in a 1971 model FWB 300s with walnut stock, all original, 95% bluing in tact, and newly gone through action with new seals. I can get it for $450 to my door.

​Or I can pick up a new Walther LGV Master Pro in either the Euro power rating or the higher one for the same cost.

​Or I can pick up a Weihrauch HW80 or HW97k for $350 (both new).

​I haven't shot any of these rifles, and haven't found anyone relatively close that have them. So, what's your advice? Realistically, only target shooting with me and my 13 year old daughter. I must admit that I'm fascinated by the old 300s side cocker, but I'm 6'4 and 240#. Will that rifle be too small for me?

chris

I picked one up from JWR and I guess the question is what are you going to do with the rifle? I love the 300 but have only had it for a week or so. After Friday when my new scope mounts come in i'll test it up too 50 yards and see how that goes. For me the 300 is really a 25 yard gun if I want to hide all the shots under a dime. And these rifles are never going to be too small for anyone. I think they are over 10lbs without a scope.

Edit: your daughter would love shooting the 300 the 10 year old here loves that he can hit what he aims at on the 35 yard target with no special hold. Just rested on the deck rail.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I can't hunt due to a disability, so it's going to be target only. Target shooting will be sitting and bench (prop is some kind). I have been reading reviews and I keep reading about the 'amazing' accuracy of the Walther LGV & LGU. Then I see posts that put them way down on the list. Why?

Joe, what did a moderator cost for the 300s? I'm going to have to scope the gun, and I think the front sight will be in my field of view.

note: I would love a PCP but the cost of entry is very high and with my health problems, hand pumping will not cut it. The Marauder is nearly the same weight as the 300s, too. But then you have to lug around a tank. I'm limited to 30 yards at the spot where I can shoot. That sounds like springer action. If I wanted to challenge myself, I could go back to shooting 500 yards with a 223 varmint gun. 😉

chris

Chris the front sight is very easy to remove , just one push pin . I've used several different scopes on my particular gun and some were airgun rated , some weren't .
The 300 is like a 6-7 ft lb rifle in stock form so its not a scope killer by any means . The difference between a 300 and say a Diana 54 ( another recoilless rifle) is like a 223 to a 30-06 . That's not an exaggeration.
The carbon fibre moderator I have on mine I drilled out the baffle and now my muzzle goes thru to the end.. Donny's LDC is just a " pretty it up " type deal . Neil Claque can make one just as easily ..Just measure barrel diameter and tell him what you want and he will make it . Both do incredible work ...There's a link to Neils site at bottom with advertisers . Cost wouldn't be too much since its just a sleeve your after . But there are several variations of the way the barrel ends so measure it and take a picture to send so he can see what your wanting . Neil has made stuff for me and he gets it out PDQ !
The 300 series is NOT without its pain in the old ass points however ...Scoping one can make ya wanna pull your hair out at times . I've personally found anything over 12.5 inches is too long ....UNLESS you go to a a SUPER long scope so the bell of the scope doesn't obstruct the loading port . I'll post a pic on this thread to show you better what I mean

. OK man here ya go ...Top pic is my gun with a Bushnell AR 2-7 ...Decent little scope and very short ...middle pic shows my SWFA SS next to it ...Bottom pic is SWFA scope mounted , look at it its beautiful and BadAss looking only problem is ...it is IMPOSSIBLE to load in that configuration. It doesn't look like it but trust me unless you got fingers that can reach into a wine bottle and touch bottom you ain't getting a pellet in that gun without some VERY high rings !!! . And no that's not one of my guns but it shows kinda what you can go thru mounting a scope on a 300

Reactions: ajshoots